Pig Howard says feedback from fans after fumble was 'all positive'

Receiver respects feedback he's gotten after costly fumble

MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL

Photo by Michael Patrick

MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL Tennessee receiver Pig Howard fumbles out of the end zone in overtime Saturday against Georgia at Neyland Stadium.

His apartment wasn’t egged. There were no nasty messages in his inbox.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

iluvols#1417400 writes:

nobody can fault Pig for doing what he did. I applaud his effort. let's beat south Carolina! end of comments!!!

allvol8 writes:

in response to iluvols#1417400:

Amen!

Beaverdog writes:

in response to allvol8:

Amen!

Same here. Just go out there and play the same game against SC, Pig. We've got your back.

Gone_Gault writes:

How did he get his nickname? I know he has a cousin that played for Alabama they called 'HaHa'.

bUTch__please writes:

Here's to having an entire team who "gives their all for Tennessee" same as Alton!

Go TEAM #117!

In a previous post about that fumble, I erroneously stated that if Howard had just gone down when he was hit at the 2-yard-line or so, the Vols would have at least had a 1st-and-goal. I did not recall when I posted it that they were already in a goal-to-go situation. In retrospect, everybody would have preferred 3d-and-goal at the 2- or 3-yard-line rather than what actually happened, but the ball just bounces funny sometimes. The result takes nothing away from the effort and grit Howard showed in going for it the way he did. Maybe next time the outcome will be different and better. Here's hoping he has the guts to go for it again in a similar situation. As the old saying goes, it's easier to rein in a thoroughbred than it is to drive a mule. Howard shows all the signs of being a thoroughbred and we fans should be glad we have him.

STEELMAN4VOLS writes:

it takes a team to win, it takes a team to lose,Pig's fumble did take away an opportunity to try to get a go ahead score, but the play of the whole team put them in the position to need to score at the last of the game. Pig is a good athlete and will have many more productive games ahead.

murrayvol writes:

No gripe on the fumble. Great effort came up inches short.....woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Pig's primary task is to get on with running more precise routes at the same time Worley's improving his accuracy. Pig's posistion caught over a hundred balls in CBJ's 2 years in Cincy. We need that to happen here too.

SewaneeVolFan writes:

I loved how Pig played, how Worley and Neal and North played. I loved the whole team effort against Georgia. To me, this loss felt different from the loss to Bama where the Man Mountain blocked two kicks, or the losses to LSU and UNC where bad UT mistakes cost us those games.

I certainly don't fault Pig for his effort, and I think it would be unfair to do that. But I do wish, as it was second down, that he had taken what he could get and considered ball security to be the second most important thing about that play (after getting the yards), especially with at least one play, and possibly two plays, still available to get the touchdown.

That's nothing but same old Monday QBing, the 20-20 hindsight. Twenty-three years later, I still wish Chuck Webb had run out of bounds one yard and one second earlier than he did against Colorado.

I love it that no one has said anything negative to Pig about the play, but the importance will be in inverse proportion to the degree to which the game against UGa is part of the UT turnaround. Sort of like the six-game losing streak to start the season in 1988 started the players on that team to end up with considerable success for the rest of their college careers, if this loss is part of that turn around, the play will have only historical significance. On the other hand, if the subsequent games show a Kiffinesque or Dooleyesque mediocrity, the play will serve as a symbol of a program that's forgotten how to win.

I believe in Coach Jones and in the improvement, and I think it'll be the former, not the latter.

maciste54 writes:

I hope this team shows up very angry but controlled against the Gamecocks. I'd love to see Spurrier leave scowling.

TommyJack writes:

Pig was bustin his hump on the "fumble". He gets a pass from me.

in response to SewaneeVolFan:

Great post; agree with all!

in response to maciste54:

Me too! Hope Neyland is filled and rockin'. The Vols should be rested, healthy, and hungry. Not to put too fine a point on it, that game against the Chickens will define the season, especially if they manage to avoid an injury-filled blowout at Bama and go on to win the rest of them.

KENVOL writes:

Hard to argue with someone who is playing HARD. Go Pig and GOOOOO VOLS!!!!

tommccord#1431933 writes:

One play does not win or lose a game. One bad call does not win or lose a game. We need every player to keep their heads held high and give their all for Tennessee every game. That is all we can ask. Our attitude can affect the team. Keep a positive attitude.

eepwlg writes:

Mr Alton Howard - You gave the maximum effort for the win. What else would we expect! There will be a next time and your hard work, perseverance, and effort will be rewarded, both on the field and off. You should be proud, the way we are. Cheers!