Tennessee, Virginia Tech could smash attendance records at Bristol in 2016

Fans take pictures during warm-up laps before the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series auto race, Saturday, Aug. 24, 2013, in Bristol, Tenn. (AP Photo/Wade Payne)

Photo by Wade Payne, AP2013

Tennessee will play Virginia Tech in 2016 in a football game that could shatter every major attendance record for team sports in the United States.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

MikeNPS writes:

Playing a football game at a race track is pure garbage, in my opinion. I am NOT impressed.

Snapshot writes:

This has been proposed and talked about for years now. Guess I am skeptical it will ever happen. If they wouldn't play after being offered 20 million apiece, how much has been offered now? I'll believe it when I see it.

Volsreign1 writes:

Have you seen the picture of the stadium with the football field photoshopped in? If you're in the end zone, there's no way you can see. Sideline seats may be ok, but anything else will be worthless.

wendelllawson writes:

The place would have been packed in the late 90s/early 00s. Now, though, I just don't see it. Neat idea, but past its prime, for sure.

jmaples54 writes:

wow. sorry, guys, but I AM impressed. if the tickets are reasonable, I would consider going. way to go, butch and hart-- our previous administrations didn't have the guts to pull the trigger (except to buy out north Carolina).

bUTch__please writes:

This will be a huge event. Two schools with passionate fanbases. Both from the same region with thousands of fans within a one hour drive. Two teams that should be well-matched. Anyone who's been to a race at Bristol can attest that you can see the drivers nose as he goes by, won't be a bad seat in the house.

"Battle-on-the-Border Go Team 120!!!!"

I suppose there are a number of daunting challenges in putting on such a game in such a venue, but this would indeed be a big deal in all of college sports. If the Vols couldn't handle a schedule that included non-conference games against Nebraska and Va. Tech by 2016, then they likely never could. On the other hand, if the Vols are rebuilt to the extent we hope, that schedule, if successfully negotiated, would put them in great shape for a national playoff. It would bring huge money and unmatched visibility for the program. Here's hoping they can make this happen!

As for all those concerned about seeing the action in such a stadium, there will no doubt be provision for beaming the game to mobile devices inside the stadium and probably at least two Jumbotrons. Even if many seats are farther away than most fans are used to, simply being able to say you were there would be worth any other aggravations.

Snapshot writes:

I don't think Neb. will still be on the schedule along with this game. You have to remember there is a lot of support to add a ninth conference game. You can bet if that is approved there won't be a Neb., Va. Tech and Conn. on the Vols non-conference schedule.

MikeNPS writes:

in response to jmaples54:

I hope that anyone who is stupid enough to buy tickets to this event will not get upset when they cannot see the field from their race track seats. How do you spell RIPOFF?

MikeNPS writes:

in response to bUTch__please:

"Battle-on-the-Border Go Team 120!!!!"

I strongly disagree. I would argue that there will not be a GOOD seat in the house. I consider this to be one of the worst ideas I have ever heard for a football game.

JSmith525 writes:

in response to Snapshot:

I will disagree with ya on that one. By the time 2016 rolls around the Vols will be able to handle any team. Including Alabama.
Bring them all on 2016 is the year UT wins it's next NC. Just saying!