John Adams: Playing against Vols would be too risky for Jadeveon Clowney

John Adams

Good thing Tennessee won’t have to worry about Jadeveon Clowney when it plays South Carolina a week from Saturday.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

Volsreign1 writes:

Adams, you are incompetent and this article sucks. And I say that only because it is apparently a requirement that everything you write be trashed no matter how good it is.

Orange_Power_T writes:

in response to Volsreign1:

Ease off V1. All of Adam's articles are satire, even when he attempts to write serious articles. This article was actually funny. I think Adams may have missed his calling. He should write for Jon Stewart.

towmater writes:

Now that's funny ... I don't care who you are.

bUTch__please writes:

Hmmmmmmmm...how can I wreck this momentum of enthusiasm that building around this program....I know....I'll poke the badger and call him names so he'll have a full week to get up a head of steam. I'll teach these kool-aid suckers to be happy around me. Better mail a copy off to Columbia just in case.....

ProudVol writes:

Chill out guys. towmater is right - this article is hilarious. I'd rather play SC at full strength, but based on early returns, that may be without Clowney.

It would almost be better for Clowney's draft status for him not to play anymore at all this year. It's always hard for anybody to know how much anybody else is hurting. Most football players are playing hurt at this point in the season. Most of us wouldn't be able to get out of bed if we hurt as much as football players do nearly every danged day.

That said, NFL personnel guys and coaches don't have much use for a guy who refuses to play hurt. As long as Clowney is in a position where he feels he has to "baby" himself while remaining on the team, doubts will grow about his ability to endure the rigors of the NFL. The effects on his present team could also be highly negative; other players with NFL aspirations might take a similar approach. That could lead to serious divisions in the locker room.

Perhaps it would be better for everybody if he were to just announce that he isn't playing anymore this year and is devoting himself to getting ready for the NFL combines. If he comes back in the spring and wows everybody the way he is no doubt capable of doing, all this "will-he-or-won't-he" back-and-forth will be forgotten. He may not be the first player taken but he would still most likely be a top-10-level pick. Besides, I would hate for him to have a big statement game against the Vols the way he did last January against Michigan!

underthehill writes:

in response to johnlg00:

He may be influenced by some folks reminding him what happened to Lattimore..

fannotsheep writes:

I do think John plays to the crowd, and loves reactions like some of these. Don't worry guys, it would surprise me if John's readership extends all the way to Columbia S.C. Hardly anyone subscribes here, much less 300 miles away. I also think Spurrier will be willing to pay Adams more than KNS does if he can manage to inspire this Clown.

Talk about an overhyped player -- he may be a talent but unless he is saving it all for the NFL, I would advise pro teams to be careful of wasting a valuable high draft pick on him.

STLVOLS writes:

Adams-Although you are not best sports writer in Knoxville, I really liked this article because it is funny. The satire is probably true because we all know Clowney is saving himself for NFL.

STLVOLS writes:

As for a few of the folks who commented all I can say is "YOU WORRY TOO MUCH AND CANNOT RECOGNIZE SATIRE."

in response to underthehill:

He may be influenced by some folks reminding him what happened to Lattimore..

Could be, and if so, they might have a point. One chop-block, and Clowney is selling insurance for the rest of his life. There have been any number of Vol underclassmen who have been suspected of dogging it in their last season--Jamal Lewis, anyone?--trying to protect their health for the NFL draft. Clowney may be just the latest example, but I would be surprised if the practice doesn't become even more widespread. And again, from the player's point of view, who could blame them?

Volsreign1 writes:

in response to Orange_Power_T:

I think you missed the point.

psychovol2 writes:

The so called Clown made the play that cost us the game last year and a bowl game. I guess we should thank him for that or we may still have Dools. Yes I know Tiny handled him for most of the game but it only takes one well timed play to change the outcome. One thing is true, the Vols are bringing it this year and laying the wood. They hit harder than GA and I like the blue collar attitude of this team. I hope JA is right and Clowney plays it safe. I also hope we can get to Shaw or it may be a long day.

in response to psychovol2:

No question the Vols are gonna really have to bring it next week. On the good side, they should be about as healthy as a squad as they have been all year. Young should be back to help the return game, Jones may be ready to contribute at corner, and hopefully Lane will be back to help Neal in the running game. Heck, they may just pull out all the stops and put in a package for one of the freshman QBs. But whoever is available, this is one golden opportunity for a statement win. This 0-fer drought against ranked teams has to end sometime, so why not Saturday at Neyland?