Vincent Dallas, Alan Posey leave Tennessee football team

Tennessee wide receiver Vincent Dallas (6) is pulled down by Georgia fullback Corey Campbell (46) during the first half at Neyland Stadium, Saturday, Oct. 5, 2013, in Knoxville, Tenn. (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Michael Patrick

Two reserve players left Tennessee’s football team this week, coach Butch Jones confirmed on Friday.

Junior receiver and kickoff returner Vincent Dallas and sophomore offensive lineman Alan Posey are no longer on the football team but will remain enrolled in school, Jones told the News Sentinel.

Dallas, a native of Ellenwood, Ga., played in 29 games and started 14 in his three-year career, bouncing between receiver and the defensive secondary.

He worked briefly at cornerback in August before returning to receiver, where he caught two passes for 14 yards in limited action this year. Dallas took over kickoff return duties when Devrin Young suffered an injury early in the season.

Young, who broke a bone in his hand, is close to a return.

Posey is a graduate of Clarke Central High School in Athens, Ga., which is former coach Derek Dooley’s alma mater. Posey redshirted in 2011 and played in three games in a reserve role in 2012 and 2013.

Posey posted a message on his Twitter account Friday: “One door closes, another opens. Thank you to everyone who helped has helped me so far. I'm excited to see what God has in store next.”

Both Dallas and Posey signed with the Vols in 2011.

Evan Woodbery covers Tennessee football. Follow him on Twitter.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

i4putt#416979 writes:

As Curly Bill told Wyatt Earp in Tombstone......." Well.....Bye" Brick by brick #VFL

eutefan#213401 writes:

Too bad. Vols need all the experience they can muster.

southernbelle79 writes:

in response to i4putt#416979:

What is a Bama fan doing on this site? Your comment is so classless, there is no way a true Vol posted it.

Bye, bye.

volnsc writes:

Dallas had some baller in him. What happened?

Orange_Power_T writes:

Like you volnsc- I thought Dallas was a player. He did some nice work on returns. What gives??????

As players right now neither is a huge loss--though losing Posey hits a position of future need--but without more info one sorta has to wonder what is going on. Freeing up a couple more scholarships might be a good thing, but depending on the reasons why they left or were pushed out, it may or may not translate into more momentum in the recruiting campaign.

wigmeister writes:

Seems to be weird timing.

SewaneeVolFan writes:

Things change for college kids all the time, so I'm sure many possible reasons for these departures exist. I hope things will turn out well for them. I'm glad to hear that they're staying at UT. That means the education is still important to them. Furthermore, to me, that seems to suggest that the issue wasn't about playing time, since I'd think they'd transfer if that was the case. As roster issues, with the lack of depth, losing anyone who's been around for a while is a worry, especially in the case of Dallas, who I thought was doing a good job as a returner. I suppose the good side is that a couple of scholarships are now available, and the way this staff is recruiting, might well come in handy. GBO.

bUTch__please writes:

All in is only fun for those who are.

Snapshot writes:

in response to SewaneeVolFan:

They are probably only staying in school until the semester is over. Most likely they will transfer and it is usually about playing time. Pretty simple, if you are not getting to play you are not going to be real happy.

maciste54 writes:

Odd...very very odd.

jandjhome#228397 writes:

Don't get to concerned about these guys, I have some pretty good info that they both had very bad attitudes and were loyal Doolyites

in response to jandjhome#228397:

Well, I guess it takes all kinds to make a world. Still, it is possible that since Dooley signed them and they haven't gotten a lot of playing time under Jones, maybe they do think it is time to move on. Hard to see why playing time would be that much of a gripe. Dallas was playing fairly regularly even if he didn't have a lot of passes thrown his way. Also, with Young's expected imminent return, his kick-return chances will likely drop. As for Posey, with such a veteran line ahead of him, he shouldn't have been that surprised not to play more, and he surely had an open field ahead of him next year. Oh well, who knows what sometimes goes through young guys' heads?

brewron#1424931 writes:

We should be positive about our Vols. They are playing and trying very hard to be a winning team. Let's support and praise our players.