Robert Hubbs says he'll bring 'energy,' 'a little showtime' to Tennessee

ADAM LAU/NEWS SENTINEL

Photo by Adam Lau

ADAM LAU/NEWS SENTINEL Tennessee freshman basketball player Robert Hubbs III poses for a portrait on Thursday at Pratt Pavillion.

When Tennessee men’s basketball coach Cuonzo Martin earned a verbal commitment from 5-star shooting guard Robert Hubbs — who held offers from Florida, Duke and Memphis, among others — it reverberated through the Vol community and began to build hype for the 2013-14 season.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

wigmeister writes:

Can't wait for the season to begin. Between the improvement on the football team, and looking forward to basketball for both the men and ladies, I think it will overall be a successful year for TN sports!

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

I personally hope he will bring the energy and save the showtime until he reaches the NBA.

murrayvol writes:

If Maymon stays healthy, this will be the best UT basketball team in years.

It's time to make a statement.

fannotsheep writes:

Not to mention Barton transferring in from Memphis.

Still, can't let the comment about football's improvement slide. Yes, improved against Georgia. Yes, way fewer penalties and obviously a better coached team. But the Vols are looking down the barrel of a loaded machine gun, with the likeliest outcome another 5-win season. And believe me I hope I'm wrong.

Nothing tastes better than crow after Tennessee beats a ranked team. But in the meantime I'm keeping it real.

BrassMonkey writes:

Just wait till Martin gets ahold of him and coaches him down. His high school coaches won't even recognize him with his lack of confidence, inability to shoot, and newly found tendancy to turn the ball over.

maciste54 writes:

Wow Brass Monkeys have dung for brains. Who knew? Oh wait , anybody that's ever seen any of his posts that's who.

in response to snowpeapod#263184:

I know what you mean, but that is just sort of the way young players talk these days. I thought it was telling that he mentioned defense and rebounding first when asked what he hopes to bring to the team. Since at this point he is little more than a less-experienced Jordan McRae, a good effort at defense and rebounding will likely get him more court time initially than being "flashy" will. After all, the main thing that lifted Jordan's game was more efficiency on offense and more effort on defense. I'm pretty sure CCM is telling him much the same thing.

in response to BrassMonkey:

I don't know where you get such notions. Certainly not from watching the team. Just about the only player who didn't get noticeably better the longer he was on the team under Martin was Kenny Hall. That is a pretty good record for improving players in my book, but then I see what is actually happening on the court rather than what I read on the inside of my eyelids.

BrassMonkey writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Are you kidding? He has had teams full of 4 and 5 star talent and has been embarrassed two years in a row by lesser talent in the NIT. Every January when the team has one about half their games Martin does an interview and declares that "UT is NCAA tournament team this year." If this does not happen this year Martin is gone. A coach who improves 4 and 5 star talent does not lose to Mercer, Austin Peay, or MTSU. Period

in response to BrassMonkey:

The biggest reasons for most of the Vols' failings the last couple of years were, first, a natural shooting guard trying to play PG--and being hurt part of the time then--and, second, a lack of depth, especially in the post, that caused players to play too many minutes so that they were ground down in the late going. You may have forgotten that Maymon actually hurt his knee initially with about three weeks to go in the 2011-12 season and was not himself after that, though he continued to try to play on it. That may be one reason why his recovery took so long. Barton will fix the first of those failings and the return of Maymon, a slimmer, quicker Jarnell Stokes, and increased depth and talent all across the roster will fix the second.

For all his failings as a PG, Golden was a much better player than he was as a freshman. Jordan McRae improved from a talented hot-head as a freshman to first a useful sub, and then a first-team All-SEC player. Maymon was a bench-warmer in his first year under Pearl and was an All-SEC player the next year under Martin, as he will be again this year. Wait until you see how much better Josh Richardson looks this year. I am almost certain that this will be the best Vol team at least since Pearl's Elite Eight team and probably better than that.