John Adams: Right calls should boost UT's confidence

John Adams

Three of Tennessee’s most memorable plays in an overtime loss to Georgia couldn’t alter the outcome. But they could impact the rest of the season.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

SewaneeVolFan writes:

"On Florida’s first possession, Spurrier eschewed a fourth-down attempt for a mere first down and had quarterback Danny Wuerffel throw for the UT end zone. The touchdown triggered a 35-0 Florida start."

OMG. The nightmare just doesn't go away. And it was a LONG 4th down -- 13 yards as I remember it.

I was living in NYC, and I had looked forward to the game for months. This was going to be Peyton's breakthrough against the Gators.

After the conversion, I thought I was sort of calm about it and the 35-point deficit. After all, it was just the first half, and the previous year, Fla had scored something like 50 unanswered points, so it would be sweet for UT to do the same thing.

However, when I sprinted out to get a halftime sandwich, despite my thinking I was calm, I somehow got into arguments with two people in front of me in line, two people in back of me in line, and the cashier.

Embarrasses me to this day, but I blame it all on Danny Wuerffel, and converting on 4th and 13.

bUTch__please writes:

"For all the criticism former UT coach Lane Kiffin has received, no one has questioned his talent for calling plays."

In one sentence, Adams has demonstrated his blind bias to print all the news that's fit to make up. Anyone who bothered to even take a casual peek at the fall of Kiffin heard the nearly unanimous chorus bemoaning USC's offensive collapse and predictable nature. More comments were made about where Lane could put his Waffle House play menu board than were tossed around about Miley's last video. Clue. Less.

I was really proud of the staff and the team for making those gutsy calls. It seems that confidence is growing in both groups. The Vols just have to go into every game with that "what have we got to lose" mindset. Playing safe is just going to get them killed a little slower; going all-out at least shows you mean to give it your best shot. If you're gonna go down, go down SWINGIN'!

jandjhome#228397 writes:

Good post johnlg00, you are absolutely correct.

Tao_of_Tennessee writes:

I kept hoping they would go for some of those 4th and shorts against Oregon. It seemed that the only difference it would have made is cutting 90 seconds off of OUs drive time to score if we did not convert. But that is ancient history now. I hope the Vols give the Ole Ball Coach a fit this Saturday.

GerryOP writes:

It would be great if that Jones-boy's first giant step toward the top would be stepping on the OBC's throat!

It's great... To be... A Tennessee Vol!