SEC upsets show back end of UT's schedule may be more challenging than once thought

SEC upsets mean more ranked UT foes

Tennessee defensive back Justin Coleman (27) celebrates making a stop on South Carolina tailback Mike Davis (28) during the first half against South Carolina at Neyland Stadium in Knoxville on Saturday, Oct. 19, 2013. (ADAM LAU/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Lau

Tennessee’s game at No. 1 Alabama was supposed to mark the end of a monthlong gauntlet of games that would push any team to the brink.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

slb1zellwood#1421797 writes:

Football like in life is a simple thing providing that If you think you can win, you can. And if you think you can't, you're right.
On Sat. It is up to you guys not us but trust me when we say we believe in you. Go Vols beat the Tide.
We support you 100%.

psychovol2 writes:

The carnage in the SEC is undeniable, but I don't see Butch and these Vols shrinking away from the fray. To Steve Spurrier, you can't take the UT out of Butch either. Or as the T-shirt says, 'Will Rogers never met Steve Spurrier'.

asleep#212036 writes:

Believing you can beat Alabama and doing it are certainly two different things but it does appear that Butch will take them to T-town playing, for the first time in years, like they belong in the upper tier of the SEC. Georgia and SC games were not flukes. Both those teams have twice the number of elite athletes we do right now and each has recently won the SEC East. Both were pre-season Top 10's and although that has proven to be untrue, they got those rankings based on talent and momentum from the previous season, neither of which we have. Butch and his staff have coached them up AND instilled an amazing amount of confidence considering none of these kids had anything substantive in their UT past on which to build. Bama is clearly the class of the SEC, maybe the nation, but I think Butch's team 117 will "give their all for UT" from kickoff to end, regardless of the score. Go Vols!!!

armydawg53 writes:

A one game winning "streak" going against the best team in the land? Back down to earth this time next week.

bUTch__please writes:

This team will line up and play 60 minutes. What more can a true fan ask for?

Wait a minute....I can ask for one thing....maybe not get our tails handed to us by Vandy like some big-headed team did this past week. Welcome to the ranks of "also receiving votes" gawga...only we're passing going in opposite direction.

Go Team 117!

TommyJack writes:

How long since you saw a Vol team with this much intensity...for 60 minutes? Credit Butch, Staff and players.

in response to bUTch__please:

This team will line up and play 60 minutes. What more can a true fan ask for?

Go Team 117!

In fairness to the Dawgs, not too many teams could survive the loss of as many key players as they have lost this year. That's why they call them "difference-makers". Also, it's one thing to go into a season knowing you have holes that have to be filled and quite another when you have to plug those holes with the season underway. You ought to have seen enough of me by now to know that I am not in any way belittling the progress the Vols have made or how much I admire the job CBJ and staff have done to get the players' heads right and to turn things around, I'm just trying to "keep it real".

There can be no question that this team is getting better every week. The team they have right now might still have lost to Oregon, but probably not by as much as they did in September. I would LOVE another shot at the Gators the way the Vols are playing now. Bama may well hand the Vols their heads, but unlike in some previous years, I don't think they will cut out their hearts. Mizzou and Aubie look pretty good right now, but I'm pretty sure the Vols will show up for the games, and once the opening whistle sounds, I suspect the Vols will be in it until the LAST whistle sounds.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that Vandy is no longer the pushover we Vol fans have come to know and love. They may not be as good as they looked against UGA last Saturday, but they are WAY beyond the point where the Vols can assume anything against them. Lots of tough hills yet to climb this season, but at least the Vols aren't having to try to climb them in flip-flops with rocks in their pockets; they've got a few spikes in their boot soles these days!

bUTch__please writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Agree with all your points and could have typed them myself. That being said....

..find it more than amusing that an alleged GA fan would pop on here and say ANYTHING about our team soon being "back down to earth". Seriously.

Beat Bama.

Tao_of_Tennessee writes:

I would like to see the rankings added together of the teams UT plays this year at the time we played them. I bet it would turn out to be a pretty good golf score.

in response to bUTch__please:

Beat Bama.

Yeah, I hear you about the UGA fan, but I'm inclined to cut him a little slack. It must be disorienting to come into the season with the expectations they did and see it all fall apart in a welter of ice bags and surgical stitches. Besides, the only way the Vols could be brought back to earth at this point is if Bama put about a 50-point beatdown on them or the Vols themselves had a huge run of injuries. We can never know about the latter, but I feel pretty sure the former WON'T happen.

in response to Tao_of_Tennessee:

Good one! A man could make a WHOLE LOT of money on the PGA tour with a scoring average like that--if of course you threw out the rankings of WKU, APSU, and USA! Then you would have a golf score more like mine(;-P).