John Jancek says Daniel McCullers came up big, aggressive

MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL

Photo by Michael Patrick

MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL Tennessee defensive lineman Daniel McCullers tries to get to South Carolina quarterback Connor Shaw during the second half on Saturday at Neyland Stadium.

When the Tennessee defense needed a stop in the fourth quarter against South Carolina on Saturday, they got one.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

TNlogfire writes:

First final stat I heard, we held them to 12 yds and 0 1st downs in the 4th qtr.....Next I heard it was 21 yds....and now it's 50 yds...somebody lemme know, please...8-)

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

in response to TNlogfire:

Look at it this way. They had four 3 and outs so the most they could have had was 36. It's academic as to the exact number of yards.

FWBVol writes:

in response to TNlogfire:

If you read the story again it said South Carolina scored 52 points against Arkansas, but only had 15 yards in total offense in the fourth quarter against UT. If you go to the drive chart on the official stat sheet at utsports.com, South Carolina had three possessions in the fourth quarter and gained one yard on the first possession, three yards on the second possession and eight yards on the third possession for a total of 12 yards.

As I said, those numbers are straight off the official box score on the UT athletic department site.

bUTch__please writes:

I know this...it was McCullers who squished Shaw.
Lesson to be learned here.
Dan might not always catch you, but if he does...don't fight it.
Resign to your fate and play again.

atnvol#283282 writes:

I hope he breaks foul on the bubbas come Saturday.

slb1zellwood#1421797 writes:

Sat. will be Biblical, remember the story about David vs Goliath. We all know who won that battle.
Anything is possible so tighten up the chin straps make sure the sling shot is in good working order and less go put a fatal rock right between Bama's eyes.
If David who was a 28 point underdog to Goliath and won, then I say we got a shot on Sat. I believe do you? Go Vols!

It seems Big Dan is just starting to realize what a dominating player he can be when he gives it all he's got. I saw it over and over in my coaching days. It just takes some guys a while to realize that they can do more than they THINK they can; that there is a difference between playing until you are tired and playing until you are EXHAUSTED, and that as a young guy you can RECOVER from being exhausted. Some guys never do learn that.

Snapshot writes:

It's about time Big Dan started being a disruptive force. With his size and strength he should be creating mayhem on every play. He can definitely do it if he will just give the effort every time. Come on Dan show the bammers that YOU are the man on Saturday! GBO

SummerfieldVol writes:

Just glad to see Big Dan play the way I hoped he would and could play. He has the ability, just needs more junk yard dog in him.Got to get mean against Alabama.