Mike Strange: Are Vols ready for second half of 1-2 punch?

Mike Strange
Tennessee wide receiver Marquez North (8) looks for a way past Oregon defensive tackle Taylor Hart (66) during the first half against Oregon at Autzen Stadium Saturday, September 14, 2013, in Eugene, OR. (AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

If you got trucked by 45 points at No. 2’s house, do you even want to make the trip to the No. 1’s place?

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

OrangePride writes:

Mike, glad you answered your own question on our VOL'S readiness with a resounding "yes." If there is anything this team needs it's fan and KNS support. We gotta believe!

I think the Vols will play hard. I don't think they will lose their heart if they get down early. That said, I don't give them much chance to win unless Bama has an uncharacteristically bad day. My biggest fear is that they will suffer injuries at key positions, which is to say, most of them. The Vols with a fully healthy squad should have a better chance to beat Mizzou and/or Auburn than they will to beat Bama, but those chances will go way down if, say, Worley, Neal, Howard, Johnson, or even Palardy get seriously hurt. Barring such catastrophes, the Vols should survive Bama with their nerve and confidence relatively intact, no matter what the score is.

OrangePride writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Joining our private conversation here, I agree 100% with your post. I don't count us totally out, but it's a very big long shot unless Alabama does some un-Alabama like things. But I think we have very good chances against both Auburn and Missouri as long as we're healthy. I think we get Salisbury back this game or next at the latest. That will help a LOT. Rogers on the field also provides another good option. Let's keep our fingers crossed for everyone's health. CBJ will have them ready!! GO VOLS!

in response to OrangePride:

Yeah, it's kind of a drag how many "private conversations" there are in the brave new world of the pay site. However, I would as soon converse with you as anybody else on here--no offense to the others of the loyal few.

BTW, who is the "Rogers" you mentioned? Were you thinking of Josh Smith or did you have somebody else in mind? If the latter, I apologize in advance for letting that person slip my mind--"old-timer's disease", you know(;-P)!

OrangePride writes:

in response to johnlg00:

LOLOL.....yes, of course; Josh Smith not Rogers. Sheesh, isn't it amazing just how little you get for a college education these days! Can't even remember who's who from one year to the next! And isn't it sad that when there used to 100, 200, and 300 comments on the big things happening, now there are three to twelve and half are the same people talking to one another? It has taken a lot of the fun out of reading this site because a good part of it came from the posts by Witchy, CCCL, Bolivar, and the arguments started by idiots like CantStandSaban and that moron from Vandy whose screen name I have happily repressed. Lets hope at some point that editorial board gathers the wisdom to reverse itself.

in response to OrangePride:

FWIW, I signed up for Govols247 a few weeks ago. There seem to be way more people commenting on there than there are here these days. My impression is that many of them are long-timers, some of whom may have been on there from the beginning. There are no trolls or negaVols on there to speak of and there is a great deal of interaction between them and the main site honchos, Wes Rucker and Ryan Callahan. LOTS of good in-depth info, especially on football and recruiting, though the basketball stuff is starting to pick up as well. I recommend it.