Vols trying to look past No. 1 Crimson Tide and simply see 'red'

Mystique of playing No. 1 not an issue

MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL

Photo by Michael Patrick, copyright © 2012

MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL Tennessee defensive lineman Daniel McCullers rushes Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron during last season’s game in Neyland Stadium.

The rest of the nation may see a top-ranked Alabama football team that has won three of the last four national titles and has turned its rivalry with Tennessee, once fiercely contested, into a series of one-sided routs.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

Orange_Power_T writes:

Bama is loaded with talent- but how much heart do they have? They expect their opponents to lay down and give them the win. While the Vols are seriously outnumbered by 5 star players, I like their take on this game. No one expects the Vols to win this one so they have absolutely nothing to loose, and everything to gain. Seems to me, Bama has EVERYTHING to loose in this one!

BJ writes:

GO VOLS, Play loose , fast and aggressive, play like you mean it!! Bama is just the next game it is one game at a time one inch at a time. GO BIG ORANGE Beat RED

slb1zellwood#1421797 writes:

I will be rooting my tail off down here in Apopka Fla. home of Tom Smith and Like I said the other day David slew Goliath and if my recollection of that battle he was also a 28 point underdog.
Go Big Orange

writer#358485 writes:

in response to slb1zellwood#1421797:

Go Big Orange

Like your thinking! Love upsets and the bigger they are the more they matter. Tennessee will bring it under Butch Jones. We'll see if it's enough. Go Vols, beat Red! Goliath did, indeed, take a big fall.

bUTch__please writes:

Beat Bama.

formervol1950s writes:

in response to slb1zellwood#1421797:

Go Big Orange

Spoken like a true Vol from back in my day .

h8FLORIDA writes:

BUCK FAMA!

jandjhome#228397 writes:

Say what you will guys but His Excellency of the Tide is looking at us with some concern.

GeeHaw writes:

We know this-Our Beloved Vols will leave it ALL on the field. They will fight and scratch for a full 60 minutes. Alabama will know it's in a real dogfight. Nothing to lose-Go Vols.

Good stuff from everybody on this thread. For the last however many years, it hardly mattered whether the Vols' opponent on a given day was ranked #1 or #10 or #100--you rarely got the sense that they were, to coin a phrase, realistically confident going into a game. If they did express confidence, it often came across as false bravado when facing an underdog--who often played them off their feet before succumbing late--and while they might have SAID the right things going up against a heavyweight, it seldom took them long to lose heart if they got down early.

These days, I think the team has enough confidence in what they have been taught and in what they can do that they do indeed take care of the things they can control and believe that if they keep doing so, they will be in it at the end. There is no way to overstate what a big change that is. They may not win them all but they won't just lay down for anybody.

BTW, with regard to the photo at the top, I would LOVE to see Big Dan all up in McCarron's face a LOT on Saturday. If he is, the Vols may have a better chance than most of us think right now.

gc_scvol writes:

We can do this ALL VOL ..... ALL THE TIME.