Justin Worley's thumb, Josh Dobbs' performance create QB questions for Vols

MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL

Photo by Michael Patrick, copyright © 2013

MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL Tennessee quarterback Justin Worley under pressure from Alabama defensive lineman A’Shawn Robinson during the first half against Alabama on Saturday at Bryant-Denny Stadium in Tuscaloosa, Ala.

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — When teammates learned that freshman quarterback Josh Dobbs would make his debut in the second half of a lopsided game in front of 100,000 people at Bryant-Denny Stadium on Saturday, they offered advice that mixed encouragement and realism.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

Related Stories

underthehill writes:

Dobbs proved what I suspected..he is the most talented QB on the team and Jones wanted to red shirt him..now teach him to slide and reduce the risk of injury and play him..10 to 20 more lbs. and UT has got em one..

Orange_Power_T writes:

I was well impressed by Dobbs arm. With a little playing time and experience, I believe he could lead the Vols. He showed playing with the big boys was not intimidating.

BigDave64 writes:

I've been calling for Dobbs all year. Worley just doesn't have the arm strength, pocket awareness, or foot speed to play in this leagueHolds the ball too long and frequently over throws wide open receivers. If they red shirt Ferguson I think he transfers and Worley will be the back up. Then we work on getting another qb in next year's class. Just a thought.

jandjhome#228397 writes:

I totally agree with you BigDave64 when I looked at Dobbs High School Films, I knew we had a very good one. Play him.

TommyJack writes:

Not gonna knock Worley, but don't think he's the future. Play Dobbs NOW in preparation for the future.

Fishpants writes:

Dobbs had poise and command, but no zip on the ball. Looked like it was slow motion compared to even Worley. If he can't make that 5 yard sideline out pattern, it will limit what he can do for the team.

overthetop writes:

Dobbs showed tremendous confidence against the #1 team in the nation in their house. With playing time he may be the future for this offense. Now we need to find a running back with break away speed. Butch is no dummy. He'll do what it takes to win games.

Goodgriefcharliebrown writes:

in response to underthehill:

Against Bamas freshmen. lil. Roll tide.

southernbelle79 writes:

What is up with all this secrecy about the players injuries? I am sure the opposing coaches can get good intel if they want, so why does he want to keep fans in the dark?

I guess if he says things like "coach's decision" ( referring to himself in the third person?), he thinks fans won't second guess him? If so, I have news for him: he has this year as a honeymoon. Next year he better pick up the winning percentage, and if he isn't fielding a ranked team by year 3, UT fans will question his every decision. On the other hand, if he wins, it doesn't matter what he says.

I think I'm leaning toward starting Dobbs against Mizzou. He brings a little something extra in terms of his running. Playing before Mizzou's home crowd can't be any worse than playing before Bama's. A thumb injury is a big thing for a QB; it's hard to protect and easy to reinjure. Let Worley rehab, let's see what Dobbs has got, and throw the QB competition open again in the offseason. I also agree with the idea of recruiting hard for a QB or two in the 2015 class.

TommyJack writes:

in response to southernbelle79:

Belle, your posts here are as dumb as your posts on letters to the editor at KNS. Stick to needlepoint.

southernbelle79 writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Well aren't you quite the sexist pig? Can't refute my posts with logic, arguments or facts, so you resort to cute little put downs. Well, bless your heart. It is OK. I wouldn't want you to hurt yourself, trying to think and all.

Snapshot writes:

in response to southernbelle79:

It's not so much keeping fans in the dark about injuries. The players have a right to privacy about any injuries or conditions they have, so the coach and school has to respect those rights.

southernbelle79 writes:

in response to TommyJack:

BTW: would you tell Rosey Grier to stick to his needlepoint? Or perhaps you know so little about football and you are so completely clueless that you think Rosey is someone's grandma.

southernbelle79 writes:

in response to Snapshot:

What are you talking about? The HHS ruled that colleges and universities could require student athletes to sign FERPA and HiPPA waivers as a condition of playing athletics. If UTK doesn't require the players to sign the waivers, this is their decision, not a legal requirement.

SummerfieldVol writes:

I would say that Justin will have to earn the #1 position back. I think he is done for the season he showed that by throwing a bunch of wounded duck up for grabs, plus Josh just looked better at QB than Justin did. He seems to know when to run and get positive yards instead of taking a sack. All good to great QB'S have a built in clock in their head as to the time to throw or run. If you watch Peyton on a pass play the ball is gone in 2-3 seconds.

VibrantVol writes:

Worley should never start again & neither should Peterman. We should've been playing the 2 freshmen all along. That's my only beef with Jones. Had the freshmen been given the experience they needed against Austin Peay & Western Kentucky, we would've scored more at Oregon, possibly beaten Florida, wouldn't have struggled against South Alabama, would've definitely beaten Georgia, would never have had to go to OT against SC, & would've scored more against Bama. As it is, Dobbs led us to the only TD Bama has given up all year at home against anyone. Impressive enough to earn the start at Mizzou.

in response to southernbelle79:

Injury status is important strategic intelligence that could affect opponents' game planning. No reason to make their job easier. Maybe CBJ thinks it's more important to keep that info to himself as much as possible rather than satisfy fans' curiosity. Of course, the NFL tries to MAKE teams disclose such info, some say to satisfy gamblers' desire to know it, but some coaches such as Bill Bellichek basically stiff them on this. Maybe CBJ takes this line as well.

underthehill writes:

in response to southernbelle79:

Completely agree ..secrecy about injuries does not give you any edge so why do it..and you are correct..it is not a necessary..and you are right about this year being a honeymoon..but I think fans will be more tolerant of losses to teams like bama because the talent difference is so wide and Jones appears to be capable of closing the gap with excellent recruiting..he has so much more going for him than the previous coach..I wouldn't even start to list the differences..I wouldn't know where to stop...

in response to VibrantVol:

It is said that hindsight is 20/20. He might have wanted to give the veterans a shot before going into full rebuild mode. After all, he needs ALL the guys on board. If he lost the upperclassmen by signaling that he is favoring newcomers on the basis of NO college experience, and at the possible cost of wins, he might have a sharply divided locker room. Such a split would not make a good impression on recruits, either, IMHO. It's a moot point now anyway.

underthehill writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I agree some coaches may see injury status having an effect on game planning..but I do not see it as giving the opponent an advantage..the opponent is more likely to use their own judgement as to how to prepare and most will prepare as tho the injured player will play and if he don't it makes no difference..just my take on it ..

in response to underthehill:

Military intelligence goes to every possible length to determine an enemy's order of battle and keep such info about one's own forces FROM the enemy. Why would you think it is NOT useful information to know who is and who isn't likely to play against you? I would like to know that info if I were a coach and I would NOT like my opponent to know it about my team. Where am I wrong? FWIW, I agree with all the rest of your post.

in response to underthehill:

I really don't want to beat this topic into the ground, since what we think about it isn't likely to affect CBJ's thinking on this, but coaches only have so much time to plan between games. Don't you think you would plan to play UT differently if Dobbs were to start rather than Worley? No team can prepare for EVERY eventuality, so you try to lessen the odds by giving MOST of your preparation to the most likely possibility. Or at least I would, though it seems opinions vary.

underthehill writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I think the idea of a red shirt for Dobbs was planned to let him mature physically and get him ready for next year..I think it was a good plan ..now that Dobbs has proved he is a better player than Worley ..it don't mean they don't need Worley..it is easy to overlook the bad passes from Worley that were due to the injury..Worley is a competitor who beat his home state team and gave the Vols their best win in years..he is still needed..big time..

underthehill writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I agree John..not a topic that needs beating in the ground..but an example of game planning given to me by a retired basketball coach..I loved playing teams that used only one defense..they were so easy to prepare for..I hated those coaches who used so many varitations on defense you never knew what they were going to do and when they would do it..so I acknowledge game planning is vital..I just have the view that injuries to opposing players is a very minor part of game planning..

underthehill writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Not saying you are wrong..just saying if you put too much into injury reports your opponent would use it against you..such as reporting injuries to be worse or less than they really are..so best to be prepared as tho they are coming with their best...

TommyJack writes: