Mike Strange: Hump still stands between Vols and road win

Mike Strange
Tennessee coach Butch Jones heads onto the field with offensive lineman Antonio Richardson (74) and Tennessee linebacker Dontavis Sapp (41) before the start of the game against Alabama Saturday, Oct. 26, 2013 at Bryant-Denny Stadium in Tuscaloosa, Ala.  (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Michael Patrick, copyright © 2013

Tennessee coach Butch Jones heads onto the field with offensive lineman Antonio Richardson (74) and Tennessee linebacker Dontavis Sapp (41) before the start of the game against Alabama Saturday, Oct. 26, 2013 at Bryant-Denny Stadium in Tuscaloosa, Ala. (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

That Alabama had built a lead by halftime wasn’t news. The ruthless ease with which it happened was.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

TNlogfire writes:

Good article, Mike...as always spot on..

eepwlg writes:

That's why they play the games. Yes a brutal schedule, let's hope for the best. One more thing. Does charging for this site mean that there are very few people on it now?

in response to eepwlg:

So it seems. Articles that used to draw scores, even hundreds, of comments now rarely top double digits. The good thing about it is that the teeming troll population has been drastically reduced. Haven't seen your screen name on here before, so welcome to our plucky little band.

jakethevolguy writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I don't miss the trolls either, John, but I do miss meaningful conversation by true Vol fans. Let's hope Butch can get them ready for this weekend at Mizzu and get that first road win over a ranked opponent. Maybe then all this hump talk will be behind them. GBO!!

underthehill writes:

in response to eepwlg:

I doubt if charging would have been necessary if users would have complied with the agreement for use..I think it was too much trouble to monitor the name calling and political comments..I don't miss either..

SewaneeVolFan writes:

"the Spanish Inquisition apparently laid out Tennessee’s schedule"

Good one, Mike, and so true. Eventually, UT will profit from the experience, and Coach Jones is doing as much as he can to make sure that happens.

in response to jakethevolguy:

As with much in life, you have to take the bitter with the sweet. I too miss many old "friends" on here, in quotes so as not to presume excessively, so I guess the ones of us who remain and those who join us in the right spirit just have to value each other more. Huge challenge this weekend for the Vols, for sure!

Misplaced_Vol_in_KC writes:

Guess I will make my first comment as I paid the piper this morning to read the articles. I just ask that every one really help push the Vols to a win this weekend as I take the 4 hour roundtrip to Columbia with my Mizzou grad wife next to me. It could be painful. Plus, I get to tailgate with her family. Yea. Finally, I did like the looks of Dobbs last week. Love to see his arm and legs working well.

in response to Misplaced_Vol_in_KC:

Wish we could all be with you, buddy! Gonna take all the Vols have got to pull it out, but it could happen. Best of luck with your in-laws. Just remember not to gloat TOO much if the Vols win, and try to keep your good nature if they don't. Hope you married well enough that your in-laws won't be too obnoxious if their side prevails. Tell us how it goes either way. Welcome to the board!

Misplaced_Vol_in_KC writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Thanks for the advice and they are good in-laws, so should be fine. Definitely no gloating as I think we are still a couple of years away from being back in the hunt. I did marry well, as she is as passionate about Mizzou as I am on the Big Orange (gave up my season tickets of 27 years last season and have been in KC 22 years). Besides she beat me in golf last Sunday straight up. Good woman. GO VOLS!!!

in response to Misplaced_Vol_in_KC:

Sounds like you did indeed marry well! It's fine that she is a passionate Mizzou fan. Passionate people recognize that in each other and generally respect and understand that quality, even if the objects of their passion are different.

As a golfer with a non-golfer wife, I have heard that it can go either way if both play. Ideally it is a great activity that a couple can share. It's even OK when they are as well-matched as you two seem to be to wager on who will empty the trash this week or some such. Just don't let it decide who has to sleep in which room! Have a great weekend and GO VOLS!!!

pingkr62 writes:

I'm looking forward to the game Saturday. Although we are 4-4, this team seems to be light years ahead of the teams U.T. has fielded the last few years. In my opinion, It's almost all CBJ and his staff. Of course, the team is playing well, and playing hard for four quarters these days. It is a sight to see. UT Football IS coming back. GBO!!!