Antonio Barton (lower leg) questionable for exhibition game

(SAUL YOUNG/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Saul Young, 2013 Knoxville News Sentinel

Tennessee's Antonio Barton waits to give interviews during Media Day at Thompson-Boling Arena on Monday, October 7, 2013. (SAUL YOUNG/NEWS SENTINEL)

Tennessee men’s basketball point guard Antonio Barton is questionable for Saturday’s exhibition game against Division II Florida Southern due to a lower left leg injury, UT coach Cuonzo Martin said Wednesday.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

Hope CCM errs on the side of caution. He ought to know what he has with Barton by now, and the real action is just around the corner. If the Vols want to get an early start on changing the national perception of the program, they need to come out firing on all cylinders. They may be able to do that with a hobbled Barton, but maybe not. Give Thompson all the run he can handle until there is no longer any concern about Barton. Obviously, I still have my fingers crossed that Maymon is all the way back as well!

chrisvol95 writes:

Should be an interesting season...

BenFrederickson writes:

Hey @johnlg00, thanks for reading. You inquired about Maymon, so I wanted to pass along some observations.

He has practiced fully in every session I've been able to watch. I didn't get a chance to see him play in person before the injury, but he seems to be pain free. To call his movement smooth would be a bit of an overstatement, though. You can tell by watching that his body has been through some battles. He's not exactly jumping out of the gym. The good thing for UT is he doesn't have to play above the rim to be effective.

Martin said last week that Maymon is good to go. The only difference between him and any other player at this point is that he sits out during some of the morning running/lifting sessions and makes them up later in the day. Martin, who dealt with his own knee issues as a player, thinks this lowers the stress levels on Maymon. He doesn't like the idea of working beat-up knees out early in the morning.

I'll keep an eye on Maymon, but he seems as healthy as advertised to this point.

VictorKrugerII writes:

in response to BenFrederickson:

Ben, I love that you're actually reading the comments and responding. I hope that you're able to continue to do it all season.

If you want to see Maymon at his best before the injuries, check out the game against Memphis early in the 2011-2012 season - 32 points and 20 rebounds! It will be interesting to see if the offense flows through him as much as it did before now that UT has a true point guard. Even if Maymon is somewhat limited physically, the leadership he brings will help the team tremendously. Can't wait for the game on Saturday, even if I will be watching it on my laptop!

in response to BenFrederickson:

Thanks for getting back to us, Ben. I concur with Victor's remarks about the pre-injury Maymon. He has never been a sky-walker or a model of economical motion, but he has an uncanny ability to use his strength and leverage around the hoop, which enables him to score through contact.

In addition to his general durability and his normally proficient ball-handling, I will be looking to see how confident and effective he is with his mid-range shooting. I don't know what his pro aspirations are, but he definitely needs to demonstrate proficiency out to at least 18' to get a long look from the NBA, IMHO. He shouldn't have to defend too much out on the perimeter to help the Vols, but that is another area the pros will be looking at closely.

If he can provide a reliable threat with a jumper from the foul line area, the Vols' post game should be hard to handle. Stokes should be the recipient of some great high-low passes and he will be much harder to double-team with Maymon on the floor. I would be interested to know how much they are working on creating that kind of action.

Keep up the good work!

BenFrederickson writes:

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. I'll stop by the comments section as often as possible. Feel free to leave any questions, observations. I'll read and address them as soon as I can. Looking forward to an exciting season!