Even with little QB depth, Vols want Josh Dobbs to run

Freshman told to just manage game

Tennessee quarterback Joshua Dobbs (11) runs with the ball escaping Alabama defensive back Landon Collins (26) during the second half Saturday, Oct. 26, 2013 at Bryant-Denny Stadium in Tuscaloosa, Ala.  (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Michael Patrick, copyright © 2013

Tennessee quarterback Joshua Dobbs (11) runs with the ball escaping Alabama defensive back Landon Collins (26) during the second half Saturday, Oct. 26, 2013 at Bryant-Denny Stadium in Tuscaloosa, Ala. (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Josh Dobbs, Tennessee’s newly named starting quarterback, stepped out of the quarterbacks meeting room this week and walked down the hallway to where the offensive line was meeting.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

Oldhickory writes:

To have Josh Dobbs start as the quarterback for The Tennessee Volunteers is a fanststic opportunity for the team that I believe is on the same level as Daryl Dickey coming off the bench in 1985 for the injured Tony Robinson to save Tennessee's season. Go Big Orange and go Josh Dobbs!

slb1zellwood#1421797 writes:

in response to Oldhickory:

I surely hope you are right my friend.

TommyJack writes:

Doubt they're concerned about burning Ferguson's shirt.

underthehill writes:

I feel sure the staff has worked with Dobbs on sliding to avoid unnecessary contact..I hope he don't get carried away trying to get the extra yards..RG3 had to learn the hard way..I hope that ain't the case with Dobbs...if he stays healthy..I have no doubt he is the qb the Vols need..

in response to underthehill:

Unless the QB in question is a Tim Tebow or Cam Newton, there is always going to be a risk when a QB runs. Somebody with quick feet and a quick mind can run selectively and be very effective at it. Josh seems to be a heady player who won't run just for the heck of it, but he is kind of slender at this point in his career, so one solid, crunching hit could really ring his bell, and then where would we be? My guess is that there will be a wildcat package with Howard, or maybe even Johnson on the goal line. Almost anything is a risk for this team with as few proven playmakers as they have.

MooseandSquirrelVol writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Wasn't it Aldon Hill who threw a td pass last year out of the wildcat?

sfox writes:

Didn't "Tiny" play quarterback in middle school?

wigmeister writes:

Pass, Pass, Run, Run, Run Faster! SLIIIIIDE! WHEW!

OrangePride writes:

Here's something we can all keep perspective on. Missouri has a red-shirt freshman at QB who had never started til a few weeks ago. They have an experience edge, yes; but it's a slim edge. As for Dobbs running, I think it is the big added element he offers. My only hope is they taught him to slide and not take those big-time hits; he doesn't have the body type for that just now. Who backs him up? Well, actually there are other QB's on the roster who could come in for one play......and if it's fourth and two with the game on the line, we can take time out or put in a wildcat. IF that don't work, call my cell. I've got a year of eligibility left and I'm good for one down. GO VOLS!!

in response to MooseandSquirrelVol:

Wasn't it Aldon Hill who threw a td pass last year out of the wildcat?

If so, I had forgotten about it. I know I read at one point that they were working with Howard in a wildcat package and of course you remember big ol' AJ taking a couple in from the goal line in past years. I just hope it doesn't come to that as a regular thing! Using either of them that way takes away both practice reps and game snaps from two of the team's relatively few playmakers.