Despite strong opener, Butch Jones thinks running game has room to improve

Tennessee running back Marlin Lane (15) scores a touchdown during the first half against Austin Peay at Neyland Stadium, Saturday, Aug. 31, 2013 in Knoxville, Tenn.  (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Michael Patrick, Knoxville News Sentinel

Tennessee running back Marlin Lane (15) scores a touchdown during the first half against Austin Peay at Neyland Stadium, Saturday, Aug. 31, 2013 in Knoxville, Tenn. (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Despite a strong opener, Tennessee coach Butch Jones thinks the running game has room to improve. Jones said he thought his backs, "left a lot of yards out there."

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

OrangePride writes:

Well....it seems to be a LOT easier to be the "first" to post a comment these days. Hey! KNS!! Is it only me or have you also noticed that the number of comments has gone from hundreds in the post game articles to....ohhh.....say 10 or 12??? Not thinking this is working for you. And just so everyone knows (all 12 of us), I really miss Bolivar Beare, Witchy, and the others. Anyway...about this article; we will obviously meet a much better team, but I still like our chances in Neyland Stadium. It will be closer, but our VOLS will prevail. I will give the OrangePride Keys to Victory in a different post. Hopefully someone will actually read them.

formervol1950s writes:

I miss the same guys . Know what I do not miss...all the trolls !

TommyJack writes:

Bring back the old posters!

OrangePride writes:

in response to formervol1950s:

I miss the same guys . Know what I do not miss...all the trolls !

lol....agree. But I would like to have seen how their tune changed or mouths shut over the course of this year.

STEELMAN4VOLS writes:

it is odd not to see a stream of posters like in the past, that said this Saturday should be a good game,with a talented team facing the Vols. Coach Jones strikes me as a coach who really knows how to lead and get his team prepared. GBO!

in response to TommyJack:

Bring back the old posters!

Glad to see that YOU are back, though you don't seem to post as often as you used to. We KNOW you have opinions--don't keep them to yourself(;-P)!

in response to OrangePride:

I think the massive absence of many posters is more due to the way they just SPRANG the change on everybody than it is the money involved. I know times are hard, but most people don't really have a problem spending money on things they like. Maybe the larger clue for the KNS powers-that-be is that the overall value of the offering should have been increased along with the amount people have to pay to access it.

On topic, I think CBJ has a point about how some of the RBs run. There is a sort of optical illusion that RBs sometimes fall prey to when they see a flash of the opposing team's color in the hole and sort of ASSUME that the guy is actually ready to make a play, when in fact he may be off-balance or even looking elsewhere. When you are heading for a hole, look for the defender's ARM and run hard at that, with pads low and legs churning. More often than not, you can run right THROUGH that attempted arm tackle. The same thing happens in basketball--just because a guy is between you and the basket doesn't necessarily mean that he is ready to stop you. Move INTO the guy and leverage off of him.