Butch Jones wants Neyland Stadium student section to have a name

Students would help select moniker after this season

A Tennessee fan in the student section during the second half against Austin Peay at Neyland Stadium, Saturday, Aug. 31, 2013 in Knoxville, Tenn.  (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Michael Patrick, Knoxville News Sentinel

A Tennessee fan in the student section during the second half against Austin Peay at Neyland Stadium, Saturday, Aug. 31, 2013 in Knoxville, Tenn. (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Tennessee plans to “rebrand” its football student section by giving it a name selected by the student body.

Head coach Butch Jones told a group of student leaders during a meeting on Tuesday that the new name would be selected after this season and would be chosen based on the results of a campus-wide competition.

"It will be a chance for you all to market this athletic program and create a brand that you're proud of," Jones said in quotes posted on UT’s website.

Tennessee praised students for their attendance at Saturday’s season opener against Austin Peay. UT officials said more than 10,000 student tickets were used. The announced attendance for the game was 97,169.

Students are allotted 12,683 tickets and the only noticeable area of empty seats as Saturday’s game was in the upper portion of the student section.

The number was still a dramatic increase over last year, when UT officials said the average student attendance was under 5,000.

UT officials have met with student leaders to find ways to fill the empty seats. Student leaders agreed to allow a portion of the student tickets for Tennessee's game against South Carolina on Oct. 19 to be sold to the public. The game sits in the heart of fall break for students and historical data suggests there are likely to be thousands of unclaimed seats.

Evan Woodbery covers Tennessee football. Follow him on Twitter.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

namici#1422384 writes:

Smokey Dogs, Orange Crush, Checkerboards, etc...

Enjoying all this online traffic KNS? I hope your advertisers are! LMFAO!

GreerVol22 writes:

I wish we had so many students trying to get in that they would call it the "Rock Pile"...but alas poor Yorick...Clemson kids camped out for over two weeks for a shot at a chance for a ticket with no guarantees.

RoadTrip writes:

Butch gets it.

namici#1422384 writes:

Greer,
They camped out for a top 10 ranked Georgia. I highly doubt they would have done that for a game against South Carolina City College. Be fair in your assessment of the students of both programs wanting to attend games please.

vut5686#1405392 writes:

So, here goes old fuddy-duddy.

How about....."The student section." That is what it is.

Give them something to yell about and they tend to yell about it. Don't have to re-invent the wheel.

MooseandSquirrelVol writes:

The student section should have a good name, be 100% in the lower bowl and be free (to students).

MooseandSquirrelVol writes:

in response to namici#1422384:

Smokey Dogs, Orange Crush, Checkerboards, etc...

Enjoying all this online traffic KNS? I hope your advertisers are! LMFAO!

Smokey's Holler?

bUTch__please writes:

in response to RoadTrip:

Butch gets it.

ChesterDrawers writes:

Coach Butch Jones has been masterful so far as he works toward bringing UT football back into the elite programs of the country! He is an innovative promoter and I have every confidence that he will pay attention to the details needed to make the Vols consistently compete for SEC championships.

wigmeister writes:

The Dawg Pound!

Slats writes:

Orange Rock-it!

ATX_VOL_FAN writes:

I like "The Student Section" lol

Here's my thoughts that don't matter cuz I'm not a student, but whatev.
"The Big Orange"
"Neyland Steamers" lol
"Orange Faithful"

It would be kind of funny to have a super long name that makes everybody chuckle when they say, hear, see, or read it. lol

"The students from 2013 that chose a name for the student section because Butch Jones wanted us to name it"

Or something like that.

GreerVol22 writes:

in response to namici#1422384:

Greer,

1989, I'm old. Student tix were limited and were first come first serve. It didn't matter who we played or how much we stunk...we showed up every game and there were nary an empty student seat.

GerryOP writes:

Neyland's Neighborhood
UT Terrors
Tennessee Terrors
Dogbone Yard
Smokey's Yard
Dog Yard

I vote for "Rocky Top Rowdies" best suggestion so far.

firstrowupperdeck writes:

the frat brats!

vollady writes:

My suggestion for student section is ORANGE CRUSH

Snapshot writes:

in response to namici#1422384:

Smokey Dogs, Orange Crush, Checkerboards, etc...

Enjoying all this online traffic KNS? I hope your advertisers are! LMFAO!

You can gripe and b----- all you want, things change, accept it or go elsewhere.

GerryOP writes:

in response to underthehill:

Big Orange Rocky Tops

Kool!

namici#1422384 writes:

Arent the pep students located under/behind the basketball goal already called the Rocky Top Rowdies? I believe they are. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please, but I remember them wearing shirts that said "Rowdies" or something to that effect.

bUTch__please writes:

We're old and mostly out of touch and these suggestions, including the ones I've not posted, totally reek. Like Aqua Velva reek. Glad the kids are in charge of this project.

sadim13tn#1425307 writes:

"Rocky Top Rowdies" is the best. MUST be Rocky Top something.

in response to GreerVol22:

Well, they did have a much more attractive game to camp out FOR, and besides, let's face it, there just really isn't a whole lot else for students to do in Clemson, SC(;-P)!

in response to bUTch__please:

Yeah, gotta say that most of the suggestions on here didn't really grab me. The name is going to be left up to them, as it should be, and they will probably come up with something that would never occur to us old fogies. We may not even UNDERSTAND the name they come up with! Whatever it is, if it helps stir up enthusiasm for the program, I will learn to live with it.

in response to namici#1422384:

I think you're right. I wonder if some of the other schools who have "branded" student sections use the same name for both football and basketball. The more original schools probably use different names. At some other schools, one sport may be vastly more popular than the other. For example, everybody has heard of the "Cameron Crazies" at Duke, but I would be surprised if there is a name for the student section for Duke football. The reverse might be true at places where football far outshines basketball.

brokebackvol writes:

"For 2014, UT officials have discussed a plan to swap the student’s upper level seats -- the sections that are most often empty -- for a larger presence in the lower bowl."

Best idea yet.

1984, Volfans streamed out of the stadium vs Bama, but we the Student Section stayed, and WILLED that team to pull out the win.

But UT has never needed to HAVE a name for any particular section, because it's Neyland Stadium. The most vocal section of the stadium traditionally has been that entire south endzone.

I think this is a bit of a stretch for Jones and Co. Just win, the students will be there in droves. Don't need a name like "12th Man" ( already taken anyway.)

rsummie#211799 writes:

The "Butch-er Shop" is the best one I've heard yet...

in response to rsummie#211799:

The "Butch-er Shop" is the best one I've heard yet...

Oooh, now THAT has a nice ring of the cool/macabre to it! I could see students jumping all over that one.