Tennessee receiver Devrin Young sustains injury, outlook unclear

Young's absence would leave void in return game

University of Tennessee wide receiver Devrin Young (19) runs with the ball during the Vols' opening scrimmage of the fall 2013 season at Neyland Stadium in Knoxville on Saturday, Aug. 17, 2013. (ADAM LAU/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Lau

Tennessee receiver and starting return man Devrin Young could be sidelined after injuring his wrist during practice on Tuesday, a person close to the team told the News Sentinel.

The source, who did not want to be identified because the team has not announced the injury, said Young would undergo further tests on Wednesday to determine the severity of the injury and how much time he might miss.

Several reports on Twitter and Tennessee message boards said Young was in class today wearing a cast on his hand.

If Young is unable to play on Saturday against Western Kentucky, Alton “Pig” Howard and Johnathon Johnson would likely get the bulk of the snaps at slot receiver. On returns, Young’s absence would be felt even more.

Howard is listed on the depth chart as the second option for both punts and kickoffs. Receiver Jacob Carter could also be an option on punt returns, while receiver Marquez North could help out on kickoffs.

Young returned Austin Peay’s only kickoff of the game 58 yards on Saturday.

Update (11:58 a.m.): Butch Jones was asked about Young's injury on the weekly SEC teleconference, but did not offer details.

"We'll know more later in the week," Jones said. "He's at the doctor's office right now."

Evan Woodbery covers Tennessee football. Follow him on Twitter.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

What a drag! I was looking for Devrin to have a breakout season this year. Let's just hope the injury isn't serious and he is back out there soon. This team is due for a serious upgrade in the productivity of the return game, and Devrin was looking like one who could provide it.

Snapshot writes:

I heard on Tony Basilio's show he has a broken hand. Seems like we have already had way too many injuries for this early in the season, hopefully this will be the last. Someone will get the opportunity to step up. Punt returns can be a crucial part of a game, chance for a big play, positive or negative.

ewoodbery (staff) writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Agreed. I'm a huge Devrin fan, and have been since I started the beat. In my experience, people who are overachievers in high school tend to be overachievers in college. And Devrin has overcome questions about his size for a long time. He had a really nice camp and was poised to play an important role. I hope his injury isn't as serious as feared.

In the short term, my biggest worry would be punt returns. Devrin was very reliable at a spot where reliability is paramount.

namici#1422384 writes:

Look at all this traffic and comments that KNS generated by making this a pay site. NOT!!!

I hope your advertisers are dropping as fast as the online traffic here did!

bUTch__please writes:

Watching Devrin return is one of the highlights. Strong ball awareness as to when to fair catch, let drop or return. Dude has great field vision and motor. He's not going to run through a whole lot of tackles, but he sure can chew up some open ground.

Get well quick, D!

Orange_Power_T writes:

in response to namici#1422384:

I hope your advertisers are dropping as fast as the online traffic here did!

At least the comments are 99 % civil.

Orange_Power_T writes:

Really hate to hear this. He has quick acceleration and some great cuts. Gains a lot quickly before he gets nailed. I hope this is just minor thing.

fannotsheep writes:

Receiver is not the position for this to happen. Especially hate to see it for Young. Hope it's not as bad as feared.

fannotsheep writes:

in response to namici#1422384:

I hope your advertisers are dropping as fast as the online traffic here did!

Careful what you wish for. The day is coming when news organizations won't have any professional talent. Newspapers have cannibalized themselves in an effort to somehow prevent the loss of paid readership. Giving away the exact same information as you try to sell doesn't make a good business model, but they had no better ideas.

The talent level of today's KNS writing staff is nowhere near what it once was. Those with other opportunities jumped ship long ago. Not too many things sadder to see than a young person armed with a journalism degree.

wigmeister writes:

in response to Orange_Power_T:

At least the comments are 99 % civil.

AMEN

Slats writes:

in response to namici#1422384:

I hope your advertisers are dropping as fast as the online traffic here did!

Got rid of most of the garbage! Not all, I see your still here?

gc_scvol writes:

in response to namici#1422384:

I hope your advertisers are dropping as fast as the online traffic here did!

Just your dropping out would be good enough

wazzya69vol writes:

I think the world of Devrin. Last year during the off week, we had our Knoxville ALS Walk. He, being a BHS graduate like myself many, many years ago, came up behind me in my Power Chair and said, "Mister E, I'm hear to support you". He also brought along Antoine Davis who had just finished Biggest Loser and had been hired by UT. Devrin stayed with me and our team the entire Walk. With pictures being snapped and autographs being given, I was so amazed to watch this young man--what a pleasure to be around, and what athleticism he has!! He sure made our day, and I continue to be a Blessed man. VFL, Wazzy

wazzya69vol writes:

in response to namici#1422384:

I hope your advertisers are dropping as fast as the online traffic here did!

I also miss the "traffic" on the various aspects of Vol sports, and miss the comical ones also. You keep posting these worthless opinions that have nothing to do with topic. You must really enjoy cut and pasting. You're an idiot, and whether I agree or disagree with KNS, show me a company who doesn't charge for their services and I'll show you one in Bankruptcy. If you disagree with KNS, save your paste and scissors and go somewhere else. VFL, Wazzy

in response to wazzya69vol:

If you are who I think you are, "Mister E.", I know how smart you are and hope you will continue to visit here often. Even if you are NOT who I think you are, it is nice to hear from somebody who knows that Devrin is as classy a young man as he appears to be. All the best from one old Bulldog to another!