UT to host two exhibition basketball games

NCAA rules offer men’s basketball programs a pair of options for two preseason outings: play another Division I program in a closed scrimmage and one open exhibition against a non-Division I team or play two open scrimmages against non-Division I teams.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

I guess if the Vols are going to play exhibitions against D-II programs, it's good that these seem to be pretty good at that level. BTW, wasn't Southern Indiana one of Bruce Pearl's former schools? If I am mistaken, I hope someone will correct me. Anyway, GO VOLS!!! GO ZO!!!

wigmeister writes:

Good programs. Will be good test to start us out.

wendelllawson writes:

Southern Indiana came within a few points of beating the Vols in Bruce's first game as coach. I wonder how things would have turned out that first year had SIU won? Would that have sucked the momentum out of the program? Would the ETSU game have been the awesome sellout that it was?

in response to wendelllawson:

I wasn't able to see much of Pearl's first year so I don't remember them playing Southern Indiana. I was asking if Pearl himself coached there two stops before he arrived at UT. Something about that name rang a bell, but maybe it was just a ringing in my ears(;-P)!

Upon re-reading the article, I see that Pearl did in fact coach at Southern Indiana. I don't remember that being mentioned in the article when I read it the first time, but then there are a lot of things I don't seem to remember too well these days!

maciste54 writes:

Streamed live via ESPN3 on UT sports??? If so I won't be able to see them due to my stupid ISP.

in response to maciste54:

I feel your pain. I was in the same boat until my ISP picked it up rather recently. I will say that ESPN3 is a mixed blessing. They often tend to black out games in an area if the game appears live on just about any other outlet.

I hope to be able to see the UT-WKU game on my local SEC Network affiliate, but they seem to go to NO lengths to advertise those offerings. The game was not listed in the local paper's sports-on-TV block OR in the channel grids. My on-air channel guide often doesn't mention them either, though I have sometimes turned it on at the appointed time and--voila!--there it is.