Justin Worley says circumstances of game prevented him from getting into rhythm

Tennessee quarterback Justin Worley (14) passes during the first half against Western Kentucky at Neyland Stadium, Saturday, Sep. 7, 2013 in Knoxville, Tenn.  (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Michael Patrick

Tennessee quarterback Justin Worley (14) passes during the first half against Western Kentucky at Neyland Stadium, Saturday, Sep. 7, 2013 in Knoxville, Tenn. (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Justin Worley was on the winning side of a 32-point shellacking in which the opposing quarterback threw five interceptions.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

Related Stories

jandjhome#228397 writes:

I predict that Worley will be replaced by one of the Freshmen before mid season.

wigmeister writes:

That is a possibility. Performance will have to improve against the big boys.

Orange_Power_T writes:

Very inconsistent. He has moments of brilliance then turns around and under or overthrows the receiver. Sign of a head problem. CBJ needs to build more confidence in the young man.

RockyTop1 writes:

Not Peyton but who is?? I think one of the freshmen will have the redshirt removed by the South Carolina game...

slb1zellwood#1421797 writes:

in response to Orange_Power_T:

I agree with the consistency statement but is it totally due to some type of head problem as you say or is it the combination of his and young receivers inexperience and lack of chemistry? I believe it is the combination and will hopefully be solved in the coming days and weeks or I hope so.
My concerns right now are with our front four, we get little or no pass rush from them. This could be a containment scheme of the defense and if it is it sure puts a lot of pressure on the line backers and young secondary. It will be real interesting next Sat. when we square off with the "Quackers" in Eugene to see if is scheme or personnel.
Either way Go Vols

jmaples54 writes:

offensive line didn't punch enough holes in the first half. blocked punt. etc.

let's hope the team improves, plays with 4 quarters of heart, keeps the embarrassment factor low. the fans must be patient. I was surprised to see the upper deck so empty. go vols!

jmaples54 writes:

oh that we were playing southern cal next week instead of farther up the coast!

overthetop writes:

Defense looked solid, but I just don't see this offense being able to generate enough points to keep up with the big boys. I wish Worley the best, but so far not much to get excited about. Maybe Peterman should have been allowed to throw the ball some to build up confidence.

volbald writes:

So far our offense can't play with the "big boys." QB Worley will really have to improve his timing and passing distance for us to avoid consecutive losses vs. Oregon and in the SEC. Haven't yet seen him overthrow a receiver running toward the end zone. If he doesn't get better fast, Oregon will catch more of his passes than our receivers will. If Coach Jones can keep it close next Sat. he will be walking on water. Go Vols.

GerryOP writes:

in response to jandjhome#228397:

I disagree. What was wrong with Worley and the offense in the 2nd half? There is an extreme lack of exprtience in the O, but they pulled it all together in the 2nd half. Actually looked pretty respectable!

The belief that "firing" someone is the solution too ALL problems is not always the correct solution. Remember Jon Crompton?

UTANDNOBAMA writes:

Well guys this has been going on for two weeks now... Against week competition and then average competition... I don't think he has the arm strength...he can make up for it by throwing the ball a little quicker... but it kind of worries me that this has not been fixed... I mean he has been working with these same receivers for about a month...

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to jandjhome#228397:

Who do you think that Freshman might be? We all saw against Peay that Worley was the only real choice we have for now at least.

UT4prez writes:

in response to GerryOP:

I think he will be replaced at some point this season. I'm not calling for it. Just a gut feel from what I've seen thus far. I do agree with you though. The second half is by far the best he has thrown. He was leading receivers and allowing them to catch and continue the play. In the first 3 halves this season he was short and behind a lot.

Oregon is a whole different animal. No matter what it will be fun. I sure do hope Florida plays horrible against us like they did against Miami.

no1djkb#278630 writes:

You know guys I am usually agreeing with you all because you are very in tune with Tennessee football but this time I have to disagree. Now that we have the ability to watch replays (thanks Espn3), you can really break down the game. I scanned through the game and understood what Justin was saying. It seems to me that he and the receivers haven't gotten into a good flow yet. All of his deep balls except one was thrown when he had pressure. He could not really step into his throw. Look at his throws in the second half. I am not familiar with all the receivers but the ones that were put in the second half of the game seem to have better chemistry with Justin. We know they will not beat Oregon, but I do believe he will play well. He seems to be poised. The interception was the only bone head play he made. I like the way coach makes adjustments. I believe he will put Justin in a position to play well.

UT4prez writes:

No doubt a poorly run route and/or poor blocking can make a QB look bad. I'm going to trust they are putting in the time needed to develop chemistry. The reason I think he will eventually be replaced is he seems to lack the wow factor. He doesn't seem to generate excitement or have a knack for the big play. I'm not saying he is bad or that being the tortoise is a bad thing. I'm just stating a belief. It's game 2 and he has 2 big games coming up. If he leads us to victory in one of them I doubt he relinquishes control. Justin doesn't seem all that different than the QB we saw play 2 years ago. Thank goodness he has 2 years with this staff.

STEELMAN4VOLS writes:

Justin is still learning and growing with his game experience, I knew it would take time and patience.

So far, I would have to give Worley a grade of "incomplete" at best. I wanted him to have the chance to be "The Man", and so far he hasn't done anything to justify losing the job, even if he hasn't quite earned that title.

However, playing QB isn't a solo test, it is a group project. No doubt he is hampered by the inexperience of the receivers, but the most inexperienced of all of them would have to be Josh Smith, yet he has been the most consistent of all of them. The next best after him have been Carter and Johnson. I was impressed by North's reactions on that catch he made on his back, but Croom showed why he hasn't yet lived up to his potential. After all, "potential" is just a short way to say "hasn't done anything yet."

It is easy to see why people are impressed by the size, speed, and strength of North and Croom, but to be a great receiver, you have to run good routes and CATCH THE BALL when it is anywhere close to you. Hope the light comes on soon for all these guys.