Vols smother error-prone WKU, 52-20

Tennessee tight end Brendan Downs (85) scores a touchdown after making a reception against Western Kentucky defensive back Jonathan Dowling (1) during the second half Saturday at Neyland Stadium, Saturday, Sept. 7, 2013, in Knoxville, Tenn. (ADAM LAU/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Lau

Butch Jones' opening statements following win against WKU

Video from YouTube

Tennessee’s defense found a lethal weapon to defuse Bobby Petrino’s Western Kentucky offensive juggernaut Saturday: the turnover.

Seven of them.

The opportunistic Vols crushed the Hilltoppers 52-20 before a Neyland Stadium crowd of 86,783.

At one point Western committed five turnovers in a span of six offensive snaps as the Vols (2-0) piled up a 31-3 lead early in the second quarter.

Justin Coleman and Cameron Sutton scored on interception returns with minutes of each other to give Tennessee a 14-3 lead. A pair of fumble recoveries and a Brent Brewer interception set up short drives for more points.

Brian Randolph had a pair of end-zone interceptions, one in each half, to thwart drives by the Hilltoppers (1-1), who had upset Kentucky a week earlier.

Rajion Neal rushed for three touchdowns. Justin Worley recovered from a poor first half to play well in the second and threw a 1-yard TD pass to Brendan Downs.

Worley finished 11-of-19 for 142 yards passing, with one interception.

Marlin Lane rushed for 97 yards and one touchdown. Neal had 74 yards.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Stories

bUTch__please writes:

Hung a half a hundred on 'em. Bye Bobbie.

This may not be the most experienced secondary, but they came to play. Offense showing some beef in the run game, hopefully more help is coming from the receivers.

2 - 0. Give 'em chase in Eugene.

pcshowtime writes:

This is a well coached mistake free team. However, we will not beat Oregon. I do have confidence that we can continue to play penalty free football. Thats all I want this team to be. To play to the maximum of their ability. Now

I want you guys to take note, how many false starts penalties, not enough men on the field penalties, or being lined up incorrectly plays would this team have had if coached by Dooley. Those things could have lost a game like this one today. I was one of the ones who called for his firing before last year because I knew his teams got worse and never showed improvement. I never wanted the impossible I wanted improvement.

We now have a proven winner in coach Jones and he is recruiting the players to move this team to the next level. He takes responsibility, he said "the blocked punt is inexcusable". This is the language of a winner.

Do not expect the impossible but be satisfied that he is getting every bit out of these guys that he can. It is great to be a Tennessee Vol. brick by brick.

underthehill writes:

W Ky appears to have established a record for turnovers..could the Vols have won without them..maybe so..but it would have been far more interesting..the running backs for W Ky were really tough..I can't see how this changes the Vols chances of beating a top dog..but I can see a vast improvement in execution and effort..

writer#358485 writes:

No-class Petrino got what he deserved. Let's hope he gets a lot more of it this year. Tennessee seems to be putting together a pretty good team. Watching the Oregon/Virginia game, it will be a tussle against Oregon next week, but I don't think you should count the Vols out of that one either. Butch knows what he's doing and does it with class! Better days are already here and more to come as he keeps laying those bricks.

RoadTrip writes:

A 32 point win going in for another score. Be honest, how many expected that to happen? Vegas had us as a 13.5 point favorite. Only one TO was cheap - the other 6 were earned. Randolph baited their QB twice and made picks.

Worley will get better on passing as he and the receivers get on the same page. He, Josh Smith and Jacob Carter are there. He is getting there quickly with North and Pig. If Croom decides the ball is more important to him, he will get in the rotation. I expect Dallas, Johnson and Downs to get more thrown their way as well.

The O-line needed an attitude adjustment at half time and got one. It worked. The RB's ran better, but still have room for improvement.

The D was designed to contain and only had a couple of break downs. It went pretty much according to plan except the angles taken by the LB's occasionally stunk and coverage broke down on underneath routes regularly. The D held Mr. Petrino's offense to 3 points in the second half after his adjustments. That is important to understand.

Palardy did reasonably well. Dallas and Carter did their jobs well. One break down on the blocked punt was with a lack of effort by one of the back blockers.

Minimal penalties and TO's again. All of the errors can be easily corrected.

Different style this next week. WKU was more smash mouth running. Containing space and quickness are at a premium with Oregon.

88volgrad writes:

I really didn't like the game management at the end of the first half. I started looking for orange pants on the sideline it was so bad.

IndianOutlaw writes:

I will take it as a Kentuckian UT grad it is always sweet beating anyone from the bluegrass. Go Vols

STLVOLS writes:

in response to pcshowtime:

Excellent points!!75 Vol grad in St. Louis burbs here

okievol1 writes:

Without WKU giving up 5 TO in the first half its a different ballgame. O-Line needs to open up more holes. Worley needs to realize when he needs to throw it away (pick in endzone was all his)but I expect receivers and him to get better. They will need to get alot better if the Vols hope to stay in the game against the Ducks. All in all I like what I saw especially the second half. Its an improvment. ESPN and Holtz in particular need an old fashioned butt whippin by Butch. Go Vols!

blewissmith writes:

Bobby...You aren't in Nashville anymore

fannotsheep writes:

We will find out more when we play Florida. I am not conceding any games but traveling 3000 miles on a Friday doesn't really prime you for success if you ask me. Not sure I understand why they'd spend the money they do on athletics and not let them go a day earlier in order to acclimate their body clocks.

Florida is not a complete team. I don't think Tennessee is either. It will be very interesting to see if Jones can put that big trophy on the wall in his first season. Lots of work to do in the meantime. Can't expect better opponents to unravel like WKU did.

Lots of good signs, still a lot of areas that need improvement. All pretty much as we expected at this point in the season. Just hope the Vols can keep it respectable at Oregon, for a half anyway. The other SEC East teams all have flaws. If the Vols can continue to work on the little things and keep up their confidence, they might take one or two nobody expects them to.

fannotsheep writes:

Just to clarify, the trophy I was talking about was a Gator skin, not an SEC East championship. Gotta like what the team is showing us but gotta force yourself to remember the quality of the opponents.

I think Jones has a real shot to bring the Vols back in a relatively short period of time. South Carolina and Georgia are not as good as I though they'd be -- at least early in the season. It may be a long road to ever unseat Bama, but the beasts in the East look somewhat tame to me.

Recruit and coach like he has so far, brick up the holes in the walls and better days may not be that far off.