Vols get some prep for Oregon's pace

Tennessee defensive lineman Marlon Walls (58) pressures Western Kentucky quarterback Damarcus Smith (7) during the second half at Neyland Stadium, Saturday, Sep. 7, 2013 in Knoxville, Tenn.  (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Michael Patrick

Tennessee defensive lineman Marlon Walls (58) pressures Western Kentucky quarterback Damarcus Smith (7) during the second half at Neyland Stadium, Saturday, Sep. 7, 2013 in Knoxville, Tenn. (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Tennessee coach Butch Jones opened the postgame news conference with a nod to UT history, citing Gen. Robert Neyland’s maxims, and credited his players for a 52-20 win over Western Kentucky.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

Brendan F. Quinn covers Tennessee football and men’s basketball. Follow him at Twitter.com/QuinnKNS.

Related Stories

wigmeister writes:

As long as everyone gives their best for the whole game. That is all that is important.

ChesterDrawers writes:

I wonder if trying to speed up the Vol offensive game is playing into Oregon's hands? I can see some merit to longer drives that will take time off the clock. Either way, if we play the Oregon game without penalties and turnovers as we have the first two games, I like our chances.

IndianOutlaw writes:

My wife and I discussing yesterday's game (her father played for Captain Neyland) and she said while it was great that she thought that they would not know what hit them next Saturday. To her I replied that I thought Oregon was good enough with it being a home game for them to say close to us. To that she spit coffee and requested I go for a drug screen.

jmaples54 writes:

tale of two games:

team one: a storied, once-elite program plays at home against a mediocre visitor led by one of college football's most feared offensive gurus who beat a lower-tier sec team last week. result: 52-20 victory

team two: a storied, once-elite program plays at home against a mediocre visitor led by one of college football's most feared offensive gurus who lost to a lower-tier sec team last week. result: 10-7 loss

coach of team one: butch jones

coach of team two: lane kiffin

volbald writes:

Several years ago, I blogged the LA Times that I hoped Lane Kiffin would repeatedly give SC the kind of season he gave UT. So far so good. Congrats to Wash. State. Unfortunately we have to play Oregon rather than SC or Wash. State. Take a deep breath Vols and try to keep it close.

in response to ChesterDrawers:

Might be worth a try. Anything that could disrupt the momentum of Oregon's offense would be all to the good. Long drives would also give the Vol defense a bit of rest. However, unless Oregon atypically leaves the ball lying around a lot, I don't give the Vols much chance to win or even keep it particularly close. I just hope they survive physically and emotionally so they will be ready for Florida. That is a big one they might have a real shot at winning this year.