No surprise, Oregon on fast track with 32.18 yards per minute

Ducks average 32.18 yards per minute in 2 games

thomas boyd/associated press

Photo by Thomas Boyd

thomas boyd/associated press Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota runs for a 71-yard touchdown on the Ducks’ first drive against Virginia on Saturday at Scott Stadium in Charlottesville, Va. Oregon has averaged 3.4 plays per minute, 32.18 per minute and 62.5 points per game through two games this season.

Through two games, Tennessee has run about the same number of offensive plays as ultra-fast Oregon. Impressive right? It is until you discover that Oregon has a 500-yard edge in total offense. And the Ducks have done so in 16 fewer minutes of possession.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

wigmeister writes:

Interesting statistic. Wonder what it would have been if they played Texas last weekend!

writer#358485 writes:

I'm tired of hearing how great Oregon is. Left Coast teams always are hyped in the media and in Las Vegas. I don't know why that is, but it's always the case. I think with Jones the Vols stand as good a chance as any against the Ducks and don't consider them a huge underdog. Let's play the game and see how the Ducks quack with some smash-mouth Southeastern Conference football! I'd love to see all the media eat some of another bird--crow.

franke writes:

Vols must get ready for eleven on eleven football. If vols tackle well, they have a good chance at an upset!

ewoodbery (staff) writes:

in response to wigmeister:

No kidding. Oregon's numbers are padded a bit by the Nicholls State game (but you could say the same about UT vs. Austin Peay). I think Virginia counts as a pretty legit opponent, especially on the road.

-- Evan

formervol1950s writes:

in response to writer#358485:

Way to go Writer...well said !

in response to writer#358485:

I surely hope you're right, buddy! I remember that just before the Ducks' visit to K'ville, their fans and ours were indulging in some good-natured smack-talk on here--gotta say the ones who posted were pretty classy, for the most part--and the UT partisans were saying much the same about how the Ducks couldn't stand up to fast, physical SEC defenses. I have to admit they created quite a few believers among SEC fans, especially me! Of course, the Vols may not have been even then one of the best exemplars of that supposedly superior SEC brand of football. I am as hopeful as anybody else that the Vols will acquit themselves well, but whatever overall superiority the SEC as a whole may or may not have over the Pac-12 as a whole, that won't make any difference in a game between these two particular teams at this time and in that place.

writer#358485 writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Can't argue with your logic John. However, in the last game we weren't getting the best out of our team because of poor coaching. The arrival of Butch Jones seems to have solved that problem. The Ducks still may be better, but Jones' crew won't quit and have fundamentally good coaching. I'm looking for an upset. Yes, I admit it would be a bit of an upset, but no way do I buy a 22 point underdog line.

abnerPeabody writes:

I don't buy the 22 point line either. I believe it will be 35 or more. We,(Tennessee) are no where near the likes of an established powerhouse like Oregon,Alabama etc. We will get there with Butch at the controls.Patience Vol Fans.

in response to writer#358485:

Well, again, I surely hope you are right. And I certainly agree with you that CBJ has the Vols headed in the right direction. Oregon just IS better than the Vols right now, and all the great coaching in world can only make up so much against such a disparity in talent. But after all, that is why they play the games, and there is certainly nothing wrong with having hope until all hope is gone.

in response to abnerPeabody:

I agree. The final score will not tell the whole story about the long-term prospects for this team. As long as the Vols don't totally collapse, I think they can give a good account of themselves and take even a fairly lopsided defeat more or less in stride. No question a Vol victory would be one for the ages!