Butch Jones says linebacker Curt Maggitt wouldn't play if Oregon game was today

Tennessee linebacker Curt Maggitt (56) and defensive back LaDarrell McNeil (33) tackle Mississippi State running back LaDarius Perkins (27) in the first quarter at Davis Wade Stadium in Starkville, Miss., Saturday, Oct. 13, 2012. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, Knoxville News Sentinel

Tennessee coach Butch Jones dampened the likelihood of linebacker Curt Maggitt returning to action Saturday (TV: WATE, 3:30 p.m.) at Oregon.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

Vol1968 writes:

I love this coach. It is true. No resets, no do overs, and no time to waste. I also like that when the players talk now it is with more self respect and they better represent the university.

bUTch__please writes:

in response to Vol1968:

Agree 100%

bUTch__please writes:

Random thought. ..does Maggitt have the same doctor as Maymon?

slb1zellwood#1421797 writes:

It is a tough situation to deal with when one gets no respect but if you are strong enough to endure no matter what the situation involves you will soon gain that respect from your peers thru your positive actions.

As a Airborne solider you are respected by your peers because you are governed by the following

I shall respect the abilities of my enemies; I will fight fairly and with all my might. Surrender is not in my creed. If you will mentally adapt this I can assure you that respect will come from one and all.
Go Vols.
I and thousands of others respect you, go punch the Ducks in the mouth we got your back.

formervol1950s writes:

in response to slb1zellwood#1421797:

Go Vols.

OUTSTANDING AND THEN SOME !

I strongly admire CBJ's devotion to "the process" and his insistence that every player on the team gets better with every practice repetition. However, there is also something to be said for not peaking too early. While practice habits are vital, you don't want to have your best practice of the season only to come out flat on game day. I'm sure even CBJ would agree down deep that he would rather have the team sharp and eager on game day than for them to leave it all on the practice field.

wigmeister writes:

If Maggitt is not ready we should push forward to hopefully the FL game. The process being followed now seems so right on.

Caspian writes:

in response to slb1zellwood#1421797:

Go Vols.

All the way!

SewaneeVolFan writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Excellent points, jlg. You also raise what seems to be a perpetual coaching dilemma -- how to run your practices so the players peak on game day. We've heard all sides of this -- limited hitting during practice so as not to wear out or injure players; nonstop hitting to replicate game conditions, and every variation in between. No one answer seems the definitive one.

However, I get the impression that because the Vols are short on talent compared to the Ducks, the things that coaching can affect make up CBJ's central concerns -- practice habits, effort, football intelligence, conditioning, and, evidently, a perpetual sense of urgency.

As I'm not a coach, I don't know whether those things involve peaking, any more than whether those aspects are the sort of thing players leave behind on the practice field and therefore don't have available on game day.

As a fan, however, it feels as if Coach Jones is doing everything he can with what he has to give his team its best chance for a positive outcome on Saturday.

To me, that's very reassuring and gives me great hope for at least the future,and even perhaps for this game.

in response to SewaneeVolFan:

Great post; agree completely. "Peaking", like "momentum", is one of those ubiquitous concepts that sound plausible but are ultimately undefinable in detail. I do think CBJ has analyzed all aspects of the game about as thoroughly anyone could, and tries to account for everything, whether physical, mental, or emotional, that leads to individual and team improvement and preparedness. I too have great hope for the future of the program under Jones. I just hope our fans don't get mired in deep depression or frustration after what could yet be some long, disappointing Saturdays before CBJ is able to complete the program's transformation.

wigmeister writes:

Sewanee and johnig make terrific points. This is not a one year rebuild, so the fans have to be patient. Coach will get it done. Love this staff so far. Hope they stay for a long, long time.

On another point, we may not have as many posters as before, but the comments have been positive and well thought out. So glad all that drivel from the trolls are no longer part of this site.

in response to wigmeister:

Strongly agree about the welcome absence of the trolls, but I'm missing some of the good Vol fans who used to be on here a lot. Hope some of them find their way back to us soon.

GerryOP writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I totally agree with your last sentence ... also applies to the team.

in response to GerryOP:

I totally agree with your last sentence ... also applies to the team.

I'm not quite as worried about the players or coaches losing heart as I am about some of our more demanding fans. The players know what they have been through before and they see every day how the staff is helping them get better and, perhaps just as important, feel better about themselves. This is not a nod to the "self-esteem industry" that has led to "participation trophies" for everybody, it is just a conviction that players must have that they DO have talent, CAN get better, and ARE getting better.