GVX Audio: ESPN's Brad Edwards says Vols will struggle to keep up with Oregon

The Tennessee team ran to the sidelines and celebrated with the band following their 52-20 victory over Western Kentucky at Neyland Stadium, Saturday, Sep. 7, 2013 in Knoxville, Tenn.  (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Michael Patrick

The Tennessee team ran to the sidelines and celebrated with the band following their 52-20 victory over Western Kentucky at Neyland Stadium, Saturday, Sep. 7, 2013 in Knoxville, Tenn. (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

ESPN college football analyst Brad Edwards said he thinks it’s unlikely that Tennessee has the talent to keep pace with No. 2 Oregon this weekend.

The Vols (2-0) face the Ducks (2-0) on Saturday at Autzen Stadium in Eugene (TV: ABC, 3:30 p.m.)

“If you don’t have the type of defense to hold them under 20 -- and I don’t think Tennessee has that type of defense quite yet -- you’re going to have score a lot of points to beat them,” Edwards said. “I’m just not sure Tennessee has the guys to be able to do that.”

To win, Tennessee will need help from the Ducks, Edwards said.

“Maybe if Oregon came out and did exactly what Western Kentucky did in the first half, Tennessee could get off to a lead that maybe they’d have a chance to hold on to,” he said.

“It’s hard for me, having grown up in SEC country and having watched Tennessee football all my life, to utter the words that Tennessee doesn’t have the talent to keep up with Oregon. But we’ve reached a point where it’s true.”

For today's full GVX audio interview, click the SoundCloud button above.

Listen to the News Sentinel Sports Page every weekday from 10 a.m. to noon on The Sports Animal, 99.1 FM.

GVX Audio is a daily podcast featuring News Sentinel sports reporters talking about UT sports.

For mobile and tablet users, click here for direct access to the SoundCloud audio or download the SoundCloud app on your mobile device.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

MooseandSquirrelVol writes:

Well duh.

bUTch__please writes:

in response to MooseandSquirrelVol:

Well duh.

That pretty much covers it.

wigmeister writes:

ESPN uses any chance it can get to dump on us.

no1djkb#278630 writes:

I don't think they are dumping on us man. Guys you need to look beyond Tennessee sometimes. There are a lot of people out there that want us to be good again. I think people talk on the level of when is Tennessee coming back. For a long time guys we had a dynamic team. When I here most ESPN people talk about the Vols, it is in a positive light.
Hey I hope the guys are going out there with the mentality that they can win.

GerryOP writes:

in response to no1djkb#278630:

Hey I hope the guys are going out there with the mentality that they can win.

Some of the national news outlets speak better of the Vols than some of the K'town newsies do!

Slats writes:

After the statement made by an ESPN anchor about Tennesseans being Trailer trash, I would not let them back on Campus for no amount of money!

How many times have you saw Charles Woodson on a commercial or win the most valuable player in a super bowl!

in response to no1djkb#278630:

Hey I hope the guys are going out there with the mentality that they can win.

I agree. Edwards said he grew up rooting for the Vols. It is not "dumping on" them to say that Oregon just looks a lot better than the Vols right now. I'm sure we all hope the Vols defy the odds, the odds ARE heavily against them going in. That would make a victory all the sweeter, and hopefully take some of the sting out of an otherwise lop-sided loss.

gc_scvol writes:

in response to no1djkb#278630:

Hey I hope the guys are going out there with the mentality that they can win.

IMHO ESPN has never cared for us and never will. Can you not see the hurt on the faces of MM, KH, LC and boys when they are forced to admit TENNESSEE might have done something right. It's always a letdown on the part of our opponent, and not anything we might have done right. `If it weren't for the revenue, they'd never mention us. And surely wouldn't come to Knoxville. Just my opinion, but one might want to watch more closely when we are mentioned on ESPN. This article wasn't really slamming us, but don't ever think ESPN cares for us, because they don't.

STEELMAN4VOLS writes:

Saturday will definately be a challenge but also an opportunity to continue to learn and grow as a team. The Vols get to pay a skilled team on their opponent's homefield which will test their "mettle". GBO!!

in response to gc_scvol:

I don't think ESPN cares about anything other than what they think makes the best story. There is a tendency for people to hear only what they expect rather than what is actually said. You readily dismiss any positive mention of the Vols and remember only what you interpret as a slam on them. ESPN commentators have often expressed disdain for Ohio State and Urban Meyer for the former's cheating and the latter's apparent insincerity and allegedly rough recruiting tactics, but they do cover them just as much as any other top-tier program. However grudging ESPN's compliments may seem to you, if the Vols actually start making real progress and beating the better teams on the schedule, they will get as much favorable coverage as any other team.

gc_scvol writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Ok, John, I stated that it was my opinion and then you come back and tell me what I digest and what i regurgitate. I respect your opinion, however accurate it may be, I've been watching ESPN for as long as they've been around. I know of which I speak. Are you going to try and tell me you know how my mind processes info. I don't think so. I call 'em like I see 'em, and I've been seeing ESPN's lack of respect for our program for many years. Again, IMHO ESPN, with the exception of DR. Jerry Punch has a down thier nose view of the Vol Nation.

in response to gc_scvol:

OK, you are welcome to your opinion. Sorry if I offended you. I was speaking of a general human tendency. I shouldn't have made it sound like I was picking on you specifically.