John Adams: As Oregon looms, UT's worst road trips revisited

John Adams

Tennessee faces one of its most daunting road games Saturday. It’s a 27-point underdog against second-ranked Oregon.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

Tao_of_Tennessee writes:

What about the Jackson slaughter in 1968...or was it 1969, by Archie Manning and Ole Miss?

FatherVol writes:

in response to Tao_of_Tennessee:

I agree that that game would rank right up there but Adams was only referencing the games since he began his tenure in at the KNS.

FatherVol writes:

in response to Tao_of_Tennessee:

Oh. And it was 1969.

Alpha-Snail writes:

John, we can beat Oregon. We have a one of the country's greatest coaches, a determined and focused group of talented players, and a new level of confidence that hasn't existed here in years.

If we do...if we tar and feather those Ducks...we'll top THEIR list of 10 worst losses in Oregon school history!

oldvol59 writes:

All those losses were very painful. I remember the loss to Ole Miss well also. And I still wince at Steve Kiner's "Archie Who".
I am not overly optimistic but I am hopeful. These young men can play well for the Vols and the Ducks can and do make big mistakes. Color me Orange and a hopeful!

halhhaynes#364264 writes:

Not exactly the kind of inspirational read I needed this morning. I was hoping to read something a bit more encouraging, perhaps uplifting. Gee, thanks John.

RockyTop1 writes:

Typical for John...I wasted my time....GO VOLS!!

bUTch__please writes:

in response to Alpha-Snail:

True this.

Are we the deepest SEC team? No way. Yet we have SEC quality players in the top 25 of our roster.

Oregon is obviously prepared to make a statement regarding their ranking and rightful place among the college elite. My question is...are they prepared to get hit in the mouth?

Go Team #117!

in response to bUTch__please:

True this.

Go Team #117!

Can the Vols be in position to hit them in the mouth often enough and hard enough to make any difference? With their big-play ability, they aren't discouraged by what other teams would consider unfavorable down-and-distance situations. Our best chance is a pick-six or two, but they don't really turn it over a lot, either. Still, I agree that the Vols' best hope is to hit them as hard and as often as possible and keep the ball as long as possible.