With apologetic Couch back home, Vols embark on upset quest against Oregon

Couch sends apology after declared ineligible

EUGENE, Ore. — Never mind the 2,500-mile, six-hour flight. Never mind the three-hour time change. Never mind the seemingly insurmountable odds as 28-point underdogs.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

The Vols were already bringing a knife to a gun fight; now the knife is getting dull. If difficulties are opportunities to excel, the opportunities will abound on Saturday! Hope they're up to it!

atnvol#283282 writes:

I am not going to get all self-righteous and blame Mo for taking money. He had a wife and child and I am sure that it was tough for them. I have done worse. I forgive you Mo. Good luck moving forward and Go Vols!

slb1zellwood#1421797 writes:

in response to atnvol#283282:

Less hope all of us maintain your attitude about not being self righteous. It is sad when a young person gets their lives in a position like Mo with A young wife and a baby with another on the way and no guaranteed income to support them. It is sad that Scum bags pry on people like Mo. I wish him well because he is going to need it in the days, weeks and years ahead.

underthehill writes:

Sustain and maintain blocks..the only chance I see for the Vols to have a decent season is for the offensive line to step up and play to the very best of their considerable ability..this is the only way to help the defense by keeping them off the field as much as possible..I know the coaching staff knows this better than I..just hope the O line is up to it...

underthehill writes:

in response to slb1zellwood#1421797:

Birth control ain't that hard to practice..and that ain't self righteous..just common sense..don't blame Mo or any other player in his position for taking the money..the system should do more for players and less for coaches, roaches, and ath dept parasites...

writer#358485 writes:

in response to atnvol#283282:

Agree with you atnvol. Being married and in school, plus football is a full load. It was wrong, but who of us hasn't done something wrong in their lifetime? Wish the best to Mo, his wife and family. I'm optimistic we'll upset the Ducks! Go Vols!!!

UT4prez writes:

I don't know his situation so I won't say he shouldn't have done it but he wasn't a victim as someone suggested. It's impossible to know all of the crazy NCAA rules but everyone knows you can't take money. And by doing so he potentially hurts his school and teammates. I'm not judging because he may have really needed it in a way that makes football look like the game it really is. He did break one of the biggest and most known rules though. All I know is the NCAA better treat the other schools equally.