Oregon routs Tennessee 59-14; Butch Jones says Vols will stick together

Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota (8) leaps right over Tennessee defensive back LaDarrell McNeil (33) heading for the goal line during first half at Autzen Stadium, Saturday, Sep. 14, 2013 in Eugene, OR.  (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Michael Patrick

Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota (8) leaps right over Tennessee defensive back LaDarrell McNeil (33) heading for the goal line during first half at Autzen Stadium, Saturday, Sep. 14, 2013 in Eugene, OR. (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

EUGENE, Ore. — As Tennessee coach Butch Jones and players conducted interviews in a tent outside Autzen Stadium, four motorcycle cops were assembling in front of the team buses.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

Related Stories

namici#1422384 writes:

Well...it was a fun first 7 minutes. Long way to go.

goobervol writes:

Mr. Worley: I did not stay at a Holiday Inn, but this much I know. Your heart is in the right place, but your personal assessment of your performance this evening is nothing short of amazing. I believe that your convoluted evaluation of your true skills will be a detriment to you, your team, and the Vol Nation. Please get your degree, son, because you will NEVER play in the NFL.

Alpha-Snail writes:

Jones should have gone for it on 4th down far more often than he did.

Once the game was decided, he should also have given Peterman more reps. Our best hope for a good year is to get him up to speed as soon as possible.

namici#1422384 writes:

in response to Alpha-Snail:

Jones should have gone for it on 4th down far more often than he did.

+1 on your sentiments regarding going for it on fourth down. Not only are we inept at covering punts, but giving ourselves the option to keep a drive going versus handing the ball back to Oregon???---That's a no-brainer. Especially then you are at/around mid-field. WTF!

namici#1422384 writes:

Congratulations Coach Jones!!--you lowered the bar below Dooley. Freakin great job.

TommyJack writes:

in response to namici#1422384:

Don't be an idjit.

WaitUntilNextYear writes:

This team had no heart
not competitive
spent alot of money to fly to EUG and watch 3 qtrs of this debacle
no more, no more donations and no more traveling to watch another loss
season tickets are probably gone
new tv, lots of steaks and wine
then when the Vols suck it is Mr. Click on the ole tube!
Hamilton destroyed Tennessee football!

MikeNPS writes:

in response to WaitUntilNextYear:

This team had no heart
not competitive
spent alot of money to fly to EUG and watch 3 qtrs of this debacle
no more, no more donations and no more traveling to watch another loss
season tickets are probably gone
new tv, lots of steaks and wine
then when the Vols suck it is Mr. Click on the ole tube!
Hamilton destroyed Tennessee football!

A fan with as little loyalty as you will not be missed.

standfast#211788 writes:

Might I suggest that we do not play Oregon in the near future? The Ducks simply play the game of football with a velocity, tempo, level of talent and degree of legerdemain that most of us have not seen heretofore. I hope the Vols will not get discouraged. They played hard, certainly up to the limits of their of talent and coaching. They were just up against a phenomena they did not and could not understand. Who knew? It will be good to get back to playing some easier teams, like Florida, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, etc.

lonesome_dove writes:

in response to standfast#211788:

might I suggest that instead of running scared of the best teams, we set our goals to get back to the top and beat the best teams - you gonna try to tell me that the Vols from the 90's, or late 60's, or 50's, or 30's would be afraid of that team (all time period athletic levels being equal) ??

the 90's Vols would have reduced possessions with our running game and people like Al Wilson, Leonard Little, John Henderson, Albert Haynesworth or Deon Grant, Terry Fair or 2000's Eric Berry would have put an end to that track meet we saw today. Poooooom !!!!!!

oldvol59 writes:

in response to lonesome_dove:

Exactly correct. We pushed them around early, but we have no depth. We will get there and we shouldn't dodge anyone until we do. As an old Vol I was more embarrassed playing Austin Peay, who didn't even have scholarship football until recently, than our loss to the Ducks.

slb1zellwood#1421797 writes:

Come on man most of us including the coaches knew a debacle like this could happen. If some of you really feel like you have posted above then get the he-- of the site, send me your tickets and go play in the sand box with the rest of the whimpering kids. Coach and the kids did the best they could with what we have and I doubt that any college team could match up with that juggernaut from Oregon and that includes Bama.
We will be back but it takes time so chill.

TheBoss writes:

It didn't take long for the tarnish to appear on Butch's star. I wonder what all the Vol fans who are now attacking him expected? Oregon is ranked #2 in the nation, and may be better than that before long( judging from what I saw in Alabama yesterday.)If you want to blame somebody, blame Mike Hamiliton and his disasterous decisions of a few years ago. He is responsible for the downward spiral in Tennessee athletics. Jones is trying to pick up the peices of a program in shambles. It will take him a few years to do that. It's only his third game. Geez.

Farragut_Resident writes:

WHAAAAT??? BUT, BUT, BUT, they looked so good these past two weeks!!! They were supposed to win today. What the heck happened?!?! After beating Austin Peay High School and Western Kentucky Community College so handily, why didn't they do better in Oregon????? My gosh, UT won a NATIONAL championship like 20 years ago (and I know this because they're still talking about it like it happened yesterday), they're supposed to win all the time.

GerryOP writes:

Looking forward, 8-4 is still a very real possibility. Go Vols!

Farragut_Resident writes:

in response to goobervol:

WHOA! HE'S A KID, HOW ABOUT YOU ARMCHAIR QUARTERBACKS LAY OFF? And if you want to talk about personal assessments that are amazing, how about you instead focus on the delusions of grandeur that UT fans have entertained every year for about the past 25 years. Knoxville is the only place I have ever been where people are convinced that every year is going to be "their year" and are still running around with their national championship license plates nearly 20 years after it wins said national championship. Tennessee fans need to come to grips with UT's suckiness and own it embrace it and accept it before you're ever going to come to terms with it and then get beyond it. Picking on 20 year old players is not the path to enlightenment and eventual success.

Farragut_Resident writes:

in response to GerryOP:

Looking forward, 8-4 is still a very real possibility. Go Vols!

No it isn't. You're going to lose to Alabama, South Carolina, Florida, and Georgia, at minimum.

Farragut_Resident writes:

in response to standfast#211788:

Yeah, I don't get it. I know the schedules are set well in advance but for the past several years everyone has known that Oregon is a top 10 team. Why we would set our schedule up to play Austin Peay High School, Western Kentucky Community College and then the University of Oregon is beyond me.

JSmith525 writes:

in response to Farragut_Resident:

Well Mr Howard that very well may happen! But I'll just wait until the games are played before I count them as a loss. I was as disappointed as any TRUE Vol fan in the game yesterday, but win lose or draw I be dammed if I will come on any site and degrade the team. They need many more quality players in order to compete with the big boys. I will not question their heart or character. They did the best they could with the talent level that exist on the team! Always and forever "ALL VOL"

gc_scvol writes:

in response to Farragut_Resident:

First you say you, then you say we. Might I suggest you decide if you are a Vol fan or not. As for me, I still believe CBJ is the man for the job. Patience please. All Vol..All the time

Farragut_Resident writes:

in response to JSmith525:

I don't degrade the team (when they stay out of jail). Instead, I degrade lazy 300 pound coaches who don't know when to move on, delusional fans with unrealistic expectations, and the boosters and donors, being just as delusional, who are impatient and constantly meddling in the administrative affairs of the university and athletic department thinking that switching around or switching out a player here or a coach there or a senior administrator every once in a while will change everything. Once UT accepts that it stinks and owns that then maybe it will come to understand why. Once you understand it, maybe you'll have the discipline be able to fix it.

allvol8 writes:

in response to gc_scvol:

Good post as always...our depth issues contributed to our defeat.Those that are already wanting to give up season ticket are only fair weather fans...funny Alabubba gave up over 600yds yesterday.I hope that means their weakness is exposed. I will support my Vols thru thick and thin.I hope Saulsberry's injury is not season-ending..

STLVOLS writes:

in response to slb1zellwood#1421797:

We will be back but it takes time so chill.

Now this person above made a very logical post. A lot of you whiners out there live your lives so vicariously through Vol sports that when there are down times you panic.

In meantime set some personal objectives and chill.

southernbelle79 writes:

in response to Farragut_Resident:

southernbelle79 writes:

There is no way to sugarcoat the biggest lost since 1910. We have played dozens of teams that were ranked #1 and #2 in the last 103 years, and never suffered such a loss.

Jones, IMHO, made some coaching errors. I am not happy that he whines that we have the toughest schedule in football. With one of the winningest teams in college football history, our opponents used to fear us. Having us on their schedule made for a tough schedule. I am OK with a couple of patsies on the schedule because every team has them. But, we can't prepare for SEC opponents only playing extremely weak teams.

Vol fans tend to over-react. Jones might turn out to be a great coach. But so far, he isn't as good as fans thought he was after the first two games, nor as bad as fans think he is today.

We need to give him three years to see if his in game coaching and player development can match his recruiting ability.

ut_man1#1427524 writes:

I have been attending UT games for 38 years, yesterday was embarrassing! With 11 mins. left in the first half & the score 24-7 the team stopped playing hard! There is no excuse for the University of Tennessee to lose 59-14 to any team!

Caneoverthere writes:

in response to southernbelle79:

So true, it is a process and it takes time. IMO, it takes time for a strong program to fall and even more time to recover.

As a Vols and Canes fan these past 5 to 7 years have been painful. Better days are ahead!

Does anyone know if Sapp's injury is serious?

ML2020 writes:

New uniforms, new coaches, same ole results. The vaunted offensive line is just that offensive. They couldn't block Maryville HS's defensive line. Defense is no better than last year which begs one to believe is it the coaches or just a team of players who just don't get it. I believe the latter. Those 2 and 3 star players are just that.

topbanana writes:

Looks like there will be another contract buy out when Ole Butch gets canned and another big money contract written for another coach from no where. Money down the toilet. I said it before and I'll say it again fire the athletic director. I've tried hard to be a Vols fan since moving here 6 years ago. Donated, went to most home games, no more. My donations will go back to my graduating school and I'll travel there to watch my old team where I played for four years. I've had enough

gc_scvol writes:

in response to topbanana:

Don't let the door hit you.

GerryOP writes:

Some of you guys continue to prove that Fowler was right.

maciste54 writes:

So Tenn. gets stomped by the Ducks the number 2 team in the nation and the "fans" act surprised? What the hades is the matter with you people? The ducks have rockets strapped to their feet and the Vols presently have bricks. Get real.

goobervol writes:

in response to Farragut_Resident:

Glad to see you got your SI check and a new name so you could buy a month of posting

SmokeysPup writes:

Can't believe the negative BS on here. Jones knows he could have done a lot of stuff to keep the game "close" but that is not the type of team he is trying to build. Wait and see, the VOLS will look like an entirely different team this weekend. I truly believe this upcoming upset of the Gators will be the victory that the program needs and the ship will be righted.....and by the way, do you think Bama can stop Oregon? They couldn't stop A&M and Oregon has a defense. Just sayin' Oregon, unless they have a total letdown, is going to end the SEC reign. GBO!!!

gc_scvol writes:

in response to WaitUntilNextYear:

This team had no heart
not competitive
spent alot of money to fly to EUG and watch 3 qtrs of this debacle
no more, no more donations and no more traveling to watch another loss
season tickets are probably gone
new tv, lots of steaks and wine
then when the Vols suck it is Mr. Click on the ole tube!
Hamilton destroyed Tennessee football!

Nobody puts out the kind of money you said you did and then runs away like a 6 yr. old at the first sign of adversity. You might want to tell your stories to someone who would believe them. And, by the way, you probably had to borrow money to pay for access to this site.

in response to SmokeysPup:

Agree about the pointless negativity from some of the "fans", but the way the Vols could have held down the score against Oregon is pretty much the way they are going to have to play everybody unless or until some "playmakers" emerge. They could have possibly benefited, morale-wise at least, by going for some of those early 4th-down conversions, but slinging it downfield is not a real option right now.

No doubt that IF the Vols can handle the Gators, it would be a victory for the ages, under the present circumstances, and may well be regarded as a sort of turning point in CBJ's tenure as coach. However, even a victory Saturday would not necessarily help them all that much against Bama, Georgia, and SC.

I also agree that Oregon might be too much for Bama or any other SEC team this year, but Ohio State might be another. As college football fans, we should have an entertaining year, but as VOL fans, about all we can do is stay loyal while CBJ and staff labor to get UT back into that kind of conversation.