Letters from Oregon fans to UT fans

'Puddles', the Oregon mascot, is passed over the crowd during the third quarter of an NCAA college football game against Tennessee in Eugene, Ore., Saturday, Sept. 14, 2013. Oregon won the game 59-14. (AP Photo/Steve Dykes)

"Puddles", the Oregon mascot, is passed over the crowd during the third quarter of an NCAA college football game against Tennessee in Eugene, Ore., Saturday, Sept. 14, 2013. Oregon won the game 59-14. (AP Photo/Steve Dykes)

I'd like to thank all the Tennessee Volunteer fans who took the the time and made the effort to travel to Eugene. When the home & home with the Vols was originally scheduled, I know many Oregon fans circled the dates. Having Tennessee travel to play at Autzen was going to be a very big deal. Although the Volunteers have had a few tough years, the program name equates to a tradition of winning and excellence. What Oregon fans didn't know at the time of scheduling but learned after a trip to Knoxville and experienced again this weekend is this: Tennessee fans not only support their team with vigor but are without a doubt some of the most hospitable and gracious people ever to watch a game at Autzen. Your presence definitely added to the experience in a very positive way. I have complete confidence your team will improve under your new coach and wish you well against your SEC foes. Although it goes against everything I embrace as a football fan, this season I will root, just a little, for a team wearing orange.

Go Ducks

MaryJo McLaughlin

Eugene, OR

---

I just wanted to thank the Vols fans for being some of the best fans I have ever experienced at our stadium. I run the Stadium store at Autzen and all week long the fans from Tennessee shopped and visited with us. I have been running the store for 12 years and previously I thought the Oklahoma visitors had been the best. Not anymore. Tennessee might not have won the game but they did win our admiration. Everyone I talked to commented on the great group of fans that came a long way to support their team. I just wanted to express my appreciation and let you all know you're the best! Talk about southern charm (though the checkered shorts are questionable) haha!

Just kidding!

Sincerely,

Christy Cameron

Manager-Stadium Duck Store

Vol_n_Bama writes:

That level of class cannot be bought only earned. We are good people. Having been treated badly at away games, it's nice to know we're not included in that conversation.

TommyJack writes:

I remember encountering many Oregon fans on the strip prior to their last visit. Nice folk.

Agree with both posts above. Although I have not encountered any of them in person, a number of Oregon fans posted on here before and after their visit to K'ville, and nearly all of them displayed the class and courtesy shown by the writer of this letter. They seem to have attributed those qualities to our fans as well. I hope we will always have the respect of opposing fans while the team continues to strive to merit the same respect on the field.

TNlogfire writes:

Thanks....we remember when Oregon sucked too...and it hasn't been that long ago.

tn10 writes:

Having just returned from 4 days in Oregon I agree with the writer. Hundreds of Duck fans were hospitable, friendly and fun to be with both before and after the game. Unfortunately the one unpleasant person was a young woman sitting in front of us who felt it necessary to continually taunt Vol fans verbally and with hand gestures. When her friends apologized and tried to quite her she stated she paid good money for her ticket and could do what she wanted. We all have embarrassing fans and one out of hundreds was not bad. Enjoyed the trip.

atnvol#283282 writes:

It's real easy to be pleasant when you have kicked the scat out of a opponent. I liked it better when folks were not so prone to hand out pleasantries....I hope we can get back to those days sooner rather than later.

volbald writes:

The Oregon fans couldn't help but feel sorry for the Vols. So do I.

jandjhome#228397 writes:

When they were here, the fans wore T-Shirts that said "we hate Kiffin too"

RecycledVol writes:

in response to jandjhome#228397:

When they were here, the fans wore T-Shirts that said "we hate Kiffin too"

Bwahahaha! I must say, there is something very different about the Ducks. Unconventional offense and defense, unconventional fans. I kinda like it...when is the next game in Eugene?

OrangePride writes:

I have seen Knoxville hospitality extended to visiting fans over and over. Folks walking by invited to tailgates, people extending family welcomes when downtown, best wishes for safe travels home and so forth. I am proud to be VOL and proud that we carry ourselves with class even when we are on the short end of the scoreboard. On the few occasions when I have seen rude or abusive behavior, it has hurt. We are Tennessee and we are in fact better than that! GO VOLS!!

in response to OrangePride:

I agree. When I was in grad school at UT in the 90's, I was proud of the fact that during the pregame show, the Pride of the Soutland Band would directly face the visiting fan section and play their alma mater or fight song. I remember thinking at the time that I could hardly imagine any other band doing the same thing, more's the pity. No doubt we have our own fans who act like jerks toward our visitors, but they seem to be in a distinct minority unlike the home fans of some other programs I could name.

in response to atnvol#283282:

Don't you think it's even MORE objectionable to diss opposing fans after your team "kicked the scat" out of theirs? And isn't it worth considering that NO fan has anything to do with what actually happens on the field? I guess the attitude of winning with grace and losing with dignity is out of fashion in some quarters these days. Character is about how a person behaves in both victory AND defeat; there are civilized ways to deal with both.

michael#1425140 writes:

I appreciate the comments very much by the Oregon fans! They were by far the best fans I have ever been around on a road game, and I have been to many road games! They were very nice and genuine before, during and after the game! Most SEC fans can learn from them and I don't buy the argument people were being nice because they knew they were going to beat us!

Thanks to all the Oregon fans for a great weekend and atmosphere! You have a great team!

in response to michael#1425140:

Too bad the writers of these letters and the other classy Oregon fans you and others enjoyed meeting can't come on here to read about how much we appreciate their civility! This is the major downside of the relatively troll-free environment the pay site has created. No doubt the Oregon papers also have gone to pay sites these days, so I guess our only alternative is to write actual letters to them as well.

SmokeysPup writes:

in response to tn10:

that is when you should have started chanting "war damn eagle"