Ron Zook says Florida better than last year

Zook says Florida better than last year

Florida's head football coach Ron Zook addresses the media  following his firing by the University of Florida Monday, Oct. 25, 2004 in Gainesville, Fla.  (AP Photo/Phil Sandlin)

Photo by PHIL SANDLIN, AP2004

Florida's head football coach Ron Zook addresses the media following his firing by the University of Florida Monday, Oct. 25, 2004 in Gainesville, Fla. (AP Photo/Phil Sandlin)

Ron Zook remembers when appearing in Knoxville — or anywhere in Tennessee — wasn’t as pleasant as Monday.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

goobervol writes:

For the vol fans coming to the fla game be ready to be treated very bad. You cant find a worse group then the gators, honk as you come through LAKE CITY. (vol fan in gator land)

TommyJack writes:

Been there. Won't go back.

volsindallas writes:

Gator fans are just down right hateful. Been there and will never go back. Lived in Florida for 8 years and disliked every minute of it, so glad to be out of that state.

MikeNPS writes:

I, too, lived in Florida for a number of years and am happy that I found a job elsewhere and escaped from that awful state.

As for Ron Zook, who cares what he thinks? He failed at Florida and he failed at Illinois.

in response to MikeNPS:

For all his perceived shortcomings as a head coach, Zook pretty much proved that he knows good talent when he sees it. Most Florida fans even today credit him with recruiting much of the talent that Spurrier used to begin Florida's "golden age". Besides, we didn't really need his word to know that Florida's defense may be the best in the conference right now.

Pretty much agree with you about Florida. I lived in Neptune Beach, just outside of Jacksonville, for a couple of years and had a great time, but I don't care if I never see most of the rest of Florida for the rest of my life. And don't even get me started on the Gator fans. That just HAS to be the most classless bunch that ever flew a car flag. They were that way even when I was there and they were NOTHING in football then.

FWBVol writes:

My family lived in Memphis until I was in the third grade when my dad got transferred to Pensacola. I grew up in Florida, attended UT and lived in Knoxville for several years and am back in Florida. I am hoping to get back to Tennessee, but it has nothing to do with Florida fans as whole.

I graduated from high school with several people that attended Florida and graduated from Florida. Some of the guys were high school teammates. I know, and have known, Florida fans that are some of the nicest and classiest people in the world. I've also known my share of Gator fans most vultures would leave on the side of the road.

I'm sure you could find a Florida fan that might say the same thing about UT fans as a whole.

I will say that I'd much rather attended a game in Tuscaloosa than Gainesville and I feel somewhat safer being a Volunteer on the Bama campus than I do on the Florida campus. Maybe it's because Bama has been good for so long they are threatened by other teams. Florida fans have only had 20 years to get used to winning so I guess many of them haven't grown up yet.

ssfpr writes:

Went to one Florida-TN game in Gainsville and would never go back. They threw rocks and bottles at us after the game even though they won. Crudest bunch of fans I have ever encountered and I have attended games in 90% of the SEC stadiums and also visited teams not in the SEC. I can say they are the worst but KY fan are pretty nasty to UT fans as well