The heat is on Justin Worley after Vols open up quarterback competition this week

Jones is not ruling out any of four options

Steve Dykes/associated press

Photo by Steve Dykes

Steve Dykes/associated press Tennessee quarterback Justin Worley is sacked by Oregon defensive tackle Taylor Hart during the second quarter in Eugene, Ore., on Saturday.

Three weeks ago, Justin Worley won the starting quarterback job with the admonition that he should no longer look over his shoulder.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

TommyJack writes:

Despite what he said, I can't see Butch starting a frosh QB this week.

Snapshot writes:

I think Peterman should get a shot at starting. How many times does CBJ have to see the ball thrown at receivers feet, behind them, or over their head when they are open to make a change? Plus he is a better runner, IMHO.

GerryOP writes:

How many points did Justin Worley let Oregon score? Actually, he and UT did better against UO than anyone else has done this year! Worley reminds me of Jon Crompton ... who turned out OK! Go Vols!

SmokeysPup writes:

if you are going to run the zone read option, one must read it. It cannot be a called give. The QB must be a threat to run, or else what's the point of running that. I'm not blaming Worley, but he his the least running threat of all 4 of the QB's

VolDoginFl writes:

I think schools should have open competition for the head coaching jobs. Whoever coaches best during the week gets to start on Saturdays. Seriously I don't think it mattered who started at QB last Saturday. I wasn't impressed with the play calling. We needed more ball control than trying to throw the ball all over the place. We weren't going to match score for score with Oregon. Vols didn't rely on their biggest strength which is the offensive line. QB was never our biggest strength and shouldn't expect the game to be on his shoulders. Should have run more out of an I formation and not punted so much. I don't understand keeping the QB in shotgun then running out of it without a lead blocker. It gives a smaller defense like Oregon a chance to make plays. Anyway, I think our problems are a lot greater than QB. We will find out a lot more this Saturday in the swamp.

AtLannaVFL writes:

Gotta be Peterman. He gives us the best chance.

standfast#211788 writes:

in response to GerryOP:

GerryOP - Good points. As I recall, Worley won the job fair and square. In many cases, our vaunted offensive line was blocking the Oregon rush 5 on 3 or 6 on 4 and they still brought pressure. Let's give this young man a chance to settle down and become the QB we all want him to be. As I recall, it was our defense that watched Oregon sprint down the field to score a point a minute. I would suggest that the Ducks have their team picture made facing backward since the only view most of their opponents will see of them will be elbows, arses and heels. Go Vols.

GerryOP writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Despite what he said, I can't see Butch starting a frosh QB this week.

I agree ... unless Worley does not step up to the challenge.

GerryOP writes:

in response to standfast#211788:

Thanks!

Forgive me, but I get frustrated with several of our so-called fans. Here we are after Game 3 of what appears to be a new regime and a new outlook on the game; yet, the 1st blip and people want to start replacing people. C'mon people, be like standfast and support our Vols. They need all of the support that we can muster.

It's great... to be... a Tennessee Vol!

GerryOP writes:

Whenever a team is struggling, the most popular player is the backup QB! I think it was 2008, Crompton was starting and everyone wanted him gone -- even death threats from some of our classy fans. So, Fulmer brought in the backup. I think it was Nick Stephens. In his 1st or 2nd game fans decided he sucked too and they wanted the next backup -- B J Coleman. So, Fulmer brought in Coleman. Fans decided he sucked and some of our brilliant fans decided he sucked too. Soooo, they suggested open tryouts for QB.

Really guys, as was proven with Crompton in 2009, the solution isn't as simple as bench the QB and bring in the backup. As several have noted, the coaches know these guys a hell-of-a lot better than we do. Of course, some of you are ready to dump the coaches too ... after 3 games!

Although I agree with TJ that it is doubtful that Jones would start a freshman against UF, we must remember that Worley and Peterman are not Jones recruits. Ferguson and Dobbs are.

johndavid writes:

Oneal looks as below average as Worley, along with several receivers. What back in Div 1 , or any division could not have averaged 3.5 per carry behind 4 NFL lineman against a 3 man front or any front. Could any of the other backs have got less? Not a CHANCE!
Lane averaged 4.8 and the other 3 looked as good or better? We do not lose one thing if Oneal never played another down. Let's see Dobbs and Ferguson or maybe alot of anybody who can run and throw!

johndavid writes:

in response to GerryOP:

2 of them are in the Nfl and the other was/is close. The problem was Fulmers Offense. Myself and several other people I know thought Stephens was pretty good. So did the NFL.

GerryOP writes:

in response to johndavid:

johndavid, I agree about the NFL situation, but this is college ball. I was just trying to illustrate that simply replacing the starter with the backup is not necessarily the solution.

BTW, I liked Stephens too, but I supported Compton. The real problem was that there was no one on Fulmer's staff who seemed to be able to "coach up" the QBs. Cutcliffe might have helped and Chaney straightened Crompton out.

The problem we have this year is that no one has seen any of the 4 enough to even begin to form an opinion. Maybe the coaches should work with Worley for a few more games. If he doesn't come around, then consider replacing him. Three game, with UKW the only team in the range of normal competition, is too small of a sample.

GerryOP writes:

in response to johndavid:

I agree with your observations on Neal and Lane. When confronted. Neal seems to immediately head outside. Lane seems to just put his head down and follow his blockers through an inside hole in the line. Not sure why Neal seems to be the choice of the coaches. And, yes, I do know that Lane has had numerous off-field problems.

johndavid writes:

in response to GerryOP:

The offensive talent(especially receiver) may be the problem for all 4 QBs . Worley might do okay at Alabama, but without alot of weapons the other 3 may have a better chance of moving the ball by being a weapon themselves, which might make everyone else more effective.

in response to VolDoginFl:

Many of your excellent points occurred to me as well. In his defense, CBJ has probably never faced as big a talent disparity in one of his teams' first road games ever before. Still, a team just can't go into a game like this playing scared, which is how the Vols looked to me against Oregon. The attitude has to be to roll the dice, give it your best shot, and if you get beat, go down swinging. Yeah, it might have been disheartening to the team to turn it over by failing to convert a 4th-down play, but it had to be pretty disheartening to have Oregon run it down their throats following every Vol punt, too. Anybody who would have criticized CBJ for doing the bold thing under those circumstances, even if they failed, just really doesn't understand how much of a disadvantage the Vols were contending with.

in response to GerryOP:

As I have stated elsewhere, I think the Vols should just go with Worley this week at Florida, see how he does, and THEN if necessary use the bye-week and the South Alabama game to see if one of the others might be better. The Swamp is NO place to baptize a rookie QB if you want him to come out of it in his right mind!

GerryOP writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Good point.

underthehill writes:

in response to VolDoginFl:

If the Vols are not good enough to go for it on 4th and 1..the O line ain't much of a strength..the O line got whipped by Oregon..

jandjhome#228397 writes:

Did any of you go to the Orange and White game? That should have been a clue both QBs moved around like they were in a retirement center. I have had a feeling all along we would have a freshman QB by Georgia and we are right on track.

ut_man1#1427524 writes:

IF THE O LINE DOES NOT BLOCK BETTER & THE RB'S DON'T RUN HARDER IT WON'T MATTER WHO THE QB IS!
IT WON'T BE CLOSE SATURDAY

fannotsheep writes:

Jones does not want a pro style offense. Worley is not a bad athlete but never once kept the ball on the read option against Oregon. Jones wants a QB who can and will run his offense the way he wants it run. It won't matter the age or experience because they all have been in his program for two games.

I have mixed emotions about the read option but he is the coach and we don't have Bray, Hunter and Patterson anymore, so we couldn't win against top teams with a pro style game and our skill position talent anyway.

It's critical for someone to step up and get this going now because next year we have to break in a new offensive line.

Snapshot writes:

in response to GerryOP:

Actually Jones did recruit Peterman to Cincinnati, so he must be his kind of qb. I just think he has an equal if not better arm, and is a better runner. Asking for someone else to be given a chance after a beat down like that doesn't mean I'm giving up on the team. If the offense had not had so many three and outs, it would have helped their chances, and Worley was the one running the offense. Maybe the saying the qb gets too much credit and too much blame is true.