Letter: Reader unhappy with Butch Jones' choice of words during loss at Oregon

UT head coach Butch Jones during the first half against Oregon at Autzen Stadium Saturday, September 14, 2013, in Eugene, OR. (AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

Reader unhappy with coach Jones' choice of words during UT-Oregon game

I wish someone could address the issues of coaches (in this particular case) Mr. Jones' use of the F-word on TV when the camera caught the full word.

Most people can read lips and I do not believe this is appropriate language for a coach to use in front of young people (NOR do I approve of that language any time.)

But to show such sportsmanship OR LACK THEREOF on national TV — Don't you think some retribution should take place?

— Edie Hummel

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Volborn writes:

Maybe you need coach precious to come back and show us how it's done!

ellen writes:

Yes we can all read lips but this maybe he said FUDGE however he had good reason to use the F-word in this game.

labernathy448#206536 writes:

Grow up.

NomDePlume (Inactive) writes:

Oh noes! A coach got caught up in a moment! Alert the news media.

GreerVol22 writes:

maybe you prefer that we go two-hand touch or full flag while were at it. Geesh, maybe all scores should end in ties so we don't offend anyone too. Cursing won't fix anything, never has, but if you've even played the game it kinda like pads and cleats...its all part of the game.

At least this coach has some passion.

bUTch__please writes:

If the coach of my Vols did NOT use the F-bomb during the carpet-bombing they just endured from the soon-to-be NC, then I would be the one with an "issue".

bmaley18#1423974 writes:

I don't like 'those'words either, but he doesn't use those words except where almost everyone does under certain circumstances. If when really frustrated, angry, in pain, etc you are always perfect, then my hat is off to you. Please cut him some slack.

MooseandSquirrelVol writes:

TommyJack writes:

For cryin out loud, Edie.

oldschoolvol writes:

Slow news day maybe? It's not as if we are playing Florida this week or anything.

MikeNPS writes:

Oh, please......if you are going to waste time complaining, then at least find something serious to complain about.

boze7937#1422011 writes:

wow, comments all agree, good for you vol nation, this is the least of our worries.

OrangePride writes:

Good grief! Must the entire world live by this writers standards and what he (or she) thinks is appropriate? Here's what's NOT appropriate....another beat down like last Saturday! Good for Coach Jones to get angry and let this team know it.......however he said it!

utfans#211352 writes:

Did you ever play sports? I hate to think how many times I dropped the f bomb in that game. I hope I am not facing any retribution.

Caveman writes:

Caveman say, grow some gonads. Fire says give your FAN Card back NOW...

Caveman say, all players need to step up and give all for UT. What's that, yes alligator is very tasty indeed.

Five_Fingers_To_The_Face writes:

What the F-word Edie?

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to ellen:

There is never a good reason to use that word. No wonder our youth are showing no respect.They are only doing what they are taught.Monkey see,Monkey do.

MikeNPS writes:

I cannot decide which is more ridiculous -- someone complaining about such a minor issue or this website wasting space to report the person's complaint.

Tao_of_Tennessee writes:

It was no longer a "national" audience by the time he said this. By that time it was Oregon fans and die hard Tennessee fans. The rest had moved on to UA and A&M.

DroopyDrawers writes:

in response to MikeNPS:

I had grandchildren see CBJ use the F-word. This is not the way I was brought up. It diffidently show no class. He should apologize to his family, the fans and the team for using such language.

johne7627#1422963 writes:

He is not the first and sure will not be the last.

rockypop writes:

I remember the first time my son used the F-bomb, I realized that if he had not heard it from me, it was a miracle.

Does this mean Butch Jones is not qualified to lead UT's football program? Or, more specifically, does it mean this was the first time these young men have ever heard this word? While the answer to both these questions is no, that doesn't make it right.

Personally, I fall on the side of using profanity only when it will have the desired effect of getting attention and changing behavior. I'm not defending that, but I think it's a common occurrence in college football (see Bo Pelini), and I've never heard players complain about it.

I guarantee you that when I came home from the service, my wife had several months of purging me from my own mouth. I don't think I'm a worse person today because of it.

anne.luck.williams#1425744 writes:

Words only have the meaning given them by their native speakers. All languages have words designated "bad" to be used only in certain culturally understood situations. The problem today is that we use foul language far too casually and it has thus lost its potency when truly needed. I reared 6 children, 5 of them boys, to reserve bad language for certain emotionally charged situations. If Saturday's drubbing was not one of those days then I do not know what is.

johndavid writes:

Many people suggest he only uses it when really behind on the road, those comments suggest they have no defense for it.

I saw it and it surprised me, it probably should not have.

My brother had him sign his helmet Brick by Brick, maybe he should have added that word.

He was very quiet during the game, I thought it looked like he didn't know what to do or say, until he broke the silence with the f bomb. That's just the advice they needed.

Which one is worse that word or declining a 25 -30 yd penalty to set OREGON UP ON THE 6 YD LINE, I was embarrassed for him onthat sequence.

formervol1950s writes:

Why don't you just go take a running jump and save us from your tedious comments ? Better still , find a website that might appreciate a person of your ilk . Hands off Coach Jones "Mr. Perfect Commentator " .

BigArnge writes:

"Don't you think some retribution should take place?"

What are they going to do? Have the Principal retribute him?

johndavid writes:

Butch needs to take the no comment approach and choose words more carefully on national TV.

I guarantee there are a few players on the team that are offended by it and one would be a good enough reason to not use it. Tens of Thousands of fans are offended by it. Butch this is East TN not Eastern Michigan. Kevin Oneil has been criticized for his language for years, and I never saw it that obvious as Sat. What's different?

maciste54 writes:

Hopefully after the "f word" the next word was Oregon.

AtLannaVFL writes:

and why is this newsworthy? gimme a friggin break

I think most of us older folks in particular don't really like the casual way that word is thrown around in society today, but I agree with the earlier poster who said that if there ever IS a time when that word can be appropriate, last Saturday was probably one of them. I would hope that word isn't part of CBJ's everyday vocabulary, if only because it loses its capacity to shock when overused, and I am pretty sure CBJ EXPECTED the player(s) it was directed at to be shocked to some purpose.

not_guilty writes:

Why does that Anglo-Saxon verb -- an acronym derived from the stocks wherein adulterers were displayed for [having] unlawful carnal knowledge -- have such power to shock or discombobulate? After all, it describes one of the most pleasant activities humans can engage in.