Kirk Herbstreit: SEC fans need to 'claim' Vols' loss to Oregon

Country music singer Kenny Chesney, left, kisses UT football mascot 'Smokey' while ESPN analysts Lee Corso, center, and Kirk Herbstreit share their predictions on who will win Saturday's Tennessee-Florida matchup. The ESPN College GameDay show was broadcast live from Circle Park on the University of Tennessee campus on Saturday, and Chesney appeared on the show as the guest game picker of the week.  (AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

Country music singer Kenny Chesney, left, kisses UT football mascot "Smokey" while ESPN analysts Lee Corso, center, and Kirk Herbstreit share their predictions on who will win Saturday's Tennessee-Florida matchup. The ESPN College GameDay show was broadcast live from Circle Park on the University of Tennessee campus on Saturday, and Chesney appeared on the show as the guest game picker of the week. (AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL)

ESPN analyst Kirk Herbstreit made waves across the SEC on Thursday morning thanks to his appearance with Colin Cowherd's show with the network.

Herbstreit, in answer to a question basically asking if he thought Oregon ran the score up on Tennessee as some form of a message to the SEC had this to say:

———

“I don’t think they intentional ran it up, but I’ll tell you this: The SEC, it’s unique about their fan base. There are fourteen schools. When one of them wins a national championship, all fourteen carry the flag for the national championship. They all claim it. They all claim the national championship like they won it together. So when Tennessee gets ambushed by Oregon, they need to all get their flag out together and accept that loss to Oregon.”

———

Herbstreit, who was a quarterback for Ohio State and is familiar to many as somewhat of a foil to Lee Corso's antics on ESPN's College Gameday show, has never been afraid to put things bluntly.

Despite having played for the Buckeyes, he was compelled to move his family from Columbus, Ohio, to Nashville following comments he made about Ohio State's football scandal two years ago that eventually led to the removal of coach Jim Tressel.

UTANDNOBAMA writes:

I think we all accept that they beat the phooey out of us... What more does he want us to do...kiss their rear ends.

southernbelle79 writes:

Perhaps he wants us to start talking trash about how Bama is gonna whup those Ducks in the national championship game to avenge the Vols loss.

Caneoverthere writes:

I have NO idea what point Kirk is trying to make.

ilovegsm#1427409 writes:

He's lobbying to be Corso's pivot man.

bUTch__please writes:

Kick 'em when they're uuup, kick 'em when they're down.
Kick 'em when they're uuup, kick 'em all around.

formervol1950s writes:

Sour grapes from a has-been buckeye !

utfans#211352 writes:

Oregon didn't run the score up. It could have been a lot worse.

TommyJack writes:

in response to utfans#211352:

Oregon didn't run the score up. It could have been a lot worse.

Correct. Oregon backed off big time. Not exactly sure what Herb was trying to say.

798orange writes:

UT should take responsibility first, the SEC fans who claim superiority after that. Then Kirk should add as a sidenote that we might have been closer to where we are accustomed to being and made the game more competitive if not for the fact that we have had 4 coaches in the last 6 years.

RecycledVol writes:

in response to TommyJack:

+1. Class program, class fans. The game I saw in the third and fourth quarters was merciful on their part. I still hope Bama turns them into Peking Duck, though.

maciste54 writes:

I haven't seen or heard any mention of Oregon running up the score. Herbstreit making it up as he speaks? The more you stir in dung the more you smell just like it.

Tao_of_Tennessee writes:

Welcome to Tennessee Kirk. It is an excellent place to live.

Tao_of_Tennessee writes:

PS- I salute your journalistic integrity by not sugar coating the goings on at OSU.

Could you get Brent to cut back a little on calling you 'Herby' all the time though?

HATEaBAMA writes:

in response to RecycledVol:

Wrong! Oregon 59, Suckabama 2, Oregon QB is laughing so hard he drops the ball in the end zone.

cltvol writes:

I don't carry the SEC banner. I have rooted against conference in every championship game, but I pull for UT. Darn the success of our rivals. I'm against that.

Gotta consider the source with Herbstreit's comments. I do give him props for joining the chorus of criticism of his own alma mater when they were stepping in it. However, that same alma mater has drawn back a fair number of nubs after running into SEC teams, including our own Vols in a memorable bowl some years ago, which has to hurt a little. It is perhaps a little presumptious of fans of the lower-tier schools, especially, to try to bask in the glory of the SEC national championships when they themselves have had nothing to do with those victories. By the same token, the Oregon loss was all on the Vols; no other SEC team was tainted in the least by it. It might be different if the Vols were a highly-ranked team, but, well, we know what much of the world thinks of the Vols as a serious football power these days. It is up to the Vols to get themselves back in that position again; they surely won't get any help from the rest of the conference in that process.

SmokeysPup writes:

in response to HATEaBAMA:

exactly what I was thinking. The VOLS have already played the best team in the country this year. Oregon will have Bama on a platter if Bama can even get there. Not sure every team in the SEC won't have at least 2 losses this year

TommyJack writes:

in response to RecycledVol:

Yep: I suspect the former OR coach would have laid about 80 on us.

Vol-in-GA writes:

I agree. The PAC-12 should accept a beat down if one of their weaker teams got blown out by Alabama at home. The Big Ten should accept a beat down if Indiana went to Alabama and got their head handed to them. My point is that, it's only an issue because the rest of the nation are haters due to the SEC owning the BCS. Pure and simple.

psychovol2 writes:

His point wasn't about TN but rather the other SEC schools. He's right and actually he's got our backs.

Snapshot writes:

in response to utfans#211352:

Oregon didn't run the score up. It could have been a lot worse.

He didn't say they did. In the third paragraph he says he didn't think they intentionally ran up the score. I think he has been very fair to the SEC over the years.

Volborn writes:

in response to utfans#211352:

Oregon didn't run the score up. It could have been a lot worse.

yes, they started running up the middle every play from the end of the 3rd quarter on. They could have put 87 on us if they wanted to run it up. We weren't going to stop them.

fannotsheep writes:

Oh I don't think Herbstreit has anyone's back. I think he is one more Big 10 fan who can't deal with the FACT that the SEC has the best players and coaches. But nobody says the 10th-best SEC team should compete with the best PAC-12 team, any more that the 9th-best PAC-12 would be able to win in Tuscaloosa.

It's simple jealousy. He knows his beloved Buckeyes would go about 7-5 or 8-4 every year if they played UT's schedule. He just can't admit it.

jmd4908 writes:

I'm not an SEC fan, I am a TENNESSEE fan. I can't hate bama all year then pull for them to win the NC. I was thrilled to see L'ville kick Fla all over the field in the bowl game last year.

Volborn writes:

in response to Vol-in-GA:

The SEC was overlooked for many years for National titles because of regional bias. Funny thing happened with the BCS, it took out the regional bias for the most part. Tennessee won the first and SEC teams have won most of them since. Of course, when they had 3 teams qualify for the BCS championship, the team left out(2004 undefeated Auburn) was from the SEC. I can't wait for the playoffs!

KevDVol writes:

Kirk, there are 2 things you need to know about the SEC:

United we stand, divided we fall.

Ohio State is the SEC's female canine companion.

michael#1425140 writes:

As Vol fans, we do own it!!!!!