SI: Arian Foster admits in documentary he took money at Tennessee

Screengrab from from the upcoming EPIX documentary 'Schooled: The Price of College Sports.'

Screengrab from from the upcoming EPIX documentary "Schooled: The Price of College Sports."

In a Sports Illustrated article on an upcoming documentary they helped produce for EPIX, former Vols player Arian Foster claims he received money to play at Tennessee.

"I called my coach and I said, 'Coach, we don't have no food. We don't have no money. We're hungry. Either you give us some food, or I'm gonna go do something stupid.' He came down and he brought like 50 tacos for like four or five of us. Which is an NCAA violation. [laughs] But then, I walk up to the facility and I see my coach pull up in a brand new Lexus," Foster says in a released video clip of the documentary.

Read more here.

bUTch__please writes:

This story is soooo four coaches ago.

On a lighter note, if all the current League players who took money while in school would just come out and say it now, all of them, maybe some this stuff would get fixed. Be too big to crack every school.

Oh well...brick-by-brick is a great idea as long as folks stop coming out of the graveyard with sledgehammers.

westknoxrepub writes:

The problem I have with this story is the following:
1. Players are given money for expenses such as food as part of thier scholarships. . .and if they choose to live off campus they have more money given to them for housing.

2. After games meals are provided to the players. If his story happened right after a game there should have been food available to him.

3. If he was living in a dorm room as he says, he wasn't paying rent. That is paid for by UT,and he is given additional money for food and if he was living on campus he more than likely had a campus meal plan.

johndavid writes:

I dont feel sorry at all. I worked for years and saved $ for college at $4/ HR and paid for my tuition and food etc. Would have paid to trade places with him. Unfortunately this is turning into a racist issue. Turn down the scholarship if its so bad, go to college on your own, or just get a job. I bet not one ever would turn it down but they all are complaining about it! One of my favorite players, very underrated at UT, BUT these comments are wrong.

ccjensen writes:

johndavid writes:

--------------------------------
Well, John, we are impressed how you walked on water to get through college, but you are purposely ignoring the commitment to play major college sports today.

Sure they have a lot of support systems in place, but the last time I checked, they were only alloted 24 hours in a day, just like the rest of the students, most of whom fail or take 5-6 years to graduate.

You make like the athletes are getting a great deal. Hardly. Being broke ain't much fun, even if you have 200,00 eyes staring at you, and half of them booing you, including your own fans.

Everybody is getting rich, except the athletes, most of whom are on starvation wages. Its time to fix it on the table instead of underneath it.

IndianOutlaw writes:

in response to ccjensen:

johndavid writes:

--------------------------------

Actually Jensen it's time to fix you. Your tact of belittling anyone who you do not agree with is getting old unless you are a paid troll for the KNS to drum up responses, then you are doing a fairly decent job of being a 1st rate DH while using your Free Speech rights. I know a good Auburn graduate Veterinarian who would be happy to fix you for free. Come on down.

atnvol#283282 writes:

The thing I remember about Foster the most is his uncanny ability to fumble....i.e. Alabama at the goal line....twice in two years. Fumbles Foster was his moniker if I recall correctly. Something about these California players in the last decade.....they just seem to keep on giving....if you know what I mean.

ccjensen writes:

IndianOutlaw writes:

----------------------
Hey, Indian, I have a fix for you....stop reading my posts. Now, wasn't that easy?

VictorKrugerII writes:

in response to IndianOutlaw:

You'll never even see his posts (or anyone else you choose to ignore) if you install this: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/1.... It works for Firefox and Chrome, and make sure you pay attention to the prerequisites.

MooseandSquirrelVol writes:

I guess now we know why he fumbled so much.
To weak from hunger to hold on to the ball.

utfans#211352 writes:

Most college kids are broke. Portions of your life can be a struggle. Work towards better days and quit whining. I am tired of Tennessee football being one stupid thing after another.

Statistically, Arian didn't fumble all that much on a per-carry basis. It's just that the times he DID fumble were in some crucial situations. I'll bet most Vol fans WISHED they had a back as good as Foster on the team now. The team would be a lot better if they did.

Sauce writes:

It didn't take long for the so called fans to start bad mouthing Foster again over the fumbles that hurt their feelings. I guess payback is heck.

originalintent writes:

in response to ccjensen:

johndavid writes:

--------------------------------

"The work out, meeting and scrimmaging is brutal. To suggest that an athlete could do all that, hold job (if they are even allowed to) and make grades is laughable."

Working commercial fishing in Alaska, paving gigs and landscaping are brutal as well. That's what some of did in the SUMMER to pay for tuition, books, rent and food (in that order). If by your reckoning that is "walking on water", more people ought to try it. It tends to make one appreciate the cost of education better.

"Everybody is getting rich, except the athletes, most of whom are on starvation wages."

Don't forget the walking on water students that have to pay an activity fee to help cover athletics. Not many of them getting rich either.

"Its time to fix it on the table instead of underneath it."

That would leave about 20 schools with a net positive athletic budget that have any funds to potentially pay athletes. That's without taking Title 9 into account. Once the women's crew team gets paid on top of their scholarships, there won't be any college athletics to give a scholarship. That would leave many of the broke and hungry college athletes being merely broke and hungry without being in college.

lonesome_dove writes:

thanks Foster.

please explain to me what this gets you 5 years later after you've achieved stardom in the NFL. the only thing I see is that you get to act like a pompous, self-righteous jerk and put your alma mater back under the NCAA spotlight.

if I remember correctly, you were not that highly regarded coming out of high school, but Tennessee gave you the chance to play big-time football. your talent has grown - good for you, but this is the worst thing you've done for Vols football since your game changing fumble vs (fill in the blank - there are lots of choices).

ccjensen writes:

originalintent writes:

in response to ccjensen:

johndavid writes:

--------------------------------

"Its time to fix it on the table instead of underneath it."

------------------------------
Quit pissin' away hundreds of millions on stadiums used 5 or 6 times a year, athletic facilities that would shame a pro team and multi-million dollar coaches, half of whom will be losers every Saturday anyhow...and you might have some loose change left over for the slaves that are making tens of millions of dollars for the university.

You don't see tens of thousands of people paying $60 a head to watch a Lit professor read a book.