John Adams: UT needs to give true freshmen a chance at quarterback

John Adams

(SAUL YOUNG/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Saul Young

Tennessee quarterbacks, from left, Joshua Dobbs, Justin Worley, and Nathan Peterman drill during the first preseason practice on Friday, August 2, 2013. Also in background is quarterback Riley Ferguson. (SAUL YOUNG/NEWS SENTINEL)

In case you haven’t heard, Tennessee has a quarterback dilemma.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

jandjhome#228397 writes:

I totally agree with you John what do we have to lose. I think Coach Jones would like to Red Shirt one of them and that is okay, just play one of them. I think we all know why Petterman was not recruited by Florida now.

wilk58 writes:

in response to jandjhome#228397:

Your basing that on one half. It was tough to watch but Peterman was put in a bad situation with little chance of success.

MikeNPS writes:

What we REALLY need is a sports writer who demonstates in depth knowledge of the sport. Sadly, Adams is NOT that person. I am shocked that this newspaper's standards are so low that the paper continues to employee a total bozo like Adams.

TNlogfire writes:

I guess you're drawing on your long expertise as a player and coach right, adams..?

TNlogfire writes:

Worst "article" I ve ever seen by adams...and that's saying something...amazing you're not sitting on the couch drooling next to Marvin "Scoop" West...

Tao_of_Tennessee writes:

I think there is something to lose. I still think this team can make a bowl game with Worley at QB. I would start Worley this weekend and play make it take. Every series with two or more first downs and he stays in the game. Give one of the frosh a try when he doesn't.

The ball was bouncing our way on Saturday and we did not capitalize on it. I'm not faulting Peterman. He should have been on deck for a spark. To start him in the Swamp was a mistake IMHO.

johnjhend#222195 writes:

I believe that they should start Justin Worley and stick with him. As the most experienced quarterback, he gives us the best chance of winning. At least he would make fewer mistakes. I am not sure that Payton Manning could win with this football team. Putting a freshman at quarterback, no matter how good he is, would not win any more ballgames. But there is a chance that he would get hurt, which could jeopardize his future and the future of the program.

underthehill writes:

in response to johnjhend#222195:

At this point ..it looks like the only reasonable thing to do is stick with Worley..but I'd like to see Dobbs some..I think he is the most likely to be a threat to run..Looks like they intend to redshirt him..

rockypop writes:

Adams is one of the worst armchair quarterbacks in the country. In fact, it takes a lot of work to be this bad.

Where is the data from him that suggests one of these two real freshmen is even capable of starting? Is he at practice every day? Does he see what CBJ is seeing? Is his job on the line if starting a true freshman fails miserably, much the same way that starting a redshirt freshman has this past weekend?

Maybe he's channeling Manning or Ainge - or even Bray. But there's no one home at UT who can match those guys right now. Best leave the kids on the bench to learn and grow by watching instead of playing and learning by humiliation.

TommyJack writes:

in response to TNlogfire:

Marvin West was, and is, a terrific writer.

vut5686#1405392 writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Marvin West was, and is, a terrific writer.

Agree; wish Mr. West wrote every day in place of this speculative, trite typing.

vut5686#1405392 writes:

Mr. Adams is just throwing mud on the wall to see what sticks. The theory is "How much worse can it be"? Well, the same line was thrown out last week, and we saw how much worse it could be in the first half Saturday. Jones was right to start who looked best. There is no basis to claim either of the freshmen look great in practice. Adams produces no evidence to support his second guessing. The coaches want to win, probably more than Adams; they have much more at stake. I leave it to their judgement.

VolDoginFl writes:

"By the time Worley entered the game and steadied the offense at the very end of the first half, too much had been lost." I believe Worley came in for like only one play before the half. Amazing how that "steadied" the offense. Should have started Worley. We didn't have a chance with freshman QB in the swamp.

johndavid writes:

Peterman should have played at Oregon the entire 2nd half and it would have been settled. We might have stole a program changing victory Sat.
We might have won if we had not injured Driskell also. Worley vs D WOULD HAVE BEEN close and I'm not a big Worley fan. If we take a knee for 3 downs and punt or kick we have a lead at halftime!

Since none of the freshmen proved himself superior to Worley from last spring until now, I'm not sure you start one of them in hopes they will bring enough extra compared to Worley. The only reason to start a freshman now is if you have given up on this season and go into full "build for the future" mode.

Looking at the schedule--I apologize for basing some of my earlier comments on a misreading of it; I'm also a little disappointed than no one corrected me before I discovered my error for myself--the Vols still have a chance to win eight games this season if they can get/stay healthy and answer the QB question correctly. I'm not saying they will be or should be favored in six of the remaining games, just that they don't seem as terminally outmanned as they were by Oregon or as completely befuddled by a particular opponent as the Vols have been by Florida for, lo, these many years. Alabama will almost surely crush them and Georgia ought to; the Vols should have at least a puncher's chance against all the rest.

Therefore, I still think Worley is the best option, at least until they have lost enough games to no longer be in bowl contention. Worley is still, IIRC, a sophomore, so burning a freshman redshirt this year would only increase the QB controversy in coming years. There just are no slam-dunk answers to the Vols' many questions that don't involve raising the talent level through continued strong recruiting, and that will take time.

bUTch__please writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Correct.

This team has learned all the lessons it ever can from losing. And then some.

Let's give them the best shot that is available to teach them some lessons about winning. If that means we have to watch this year with one eye closed and Wobbles behind the center, so be it.

fannotsheep writes:

I am all for Worley, but do think there's a possible benefit to trying a freshman if he is better suited to Butch Jones' offense. I really don't know the capabilities or skill levels of Ferguson or Dobbs. So I'm not sure if that's even the case, but if the Vols are going to pull the plug on Worley as soon as one of the freshmen is ready (assuming that could be next season) I don't object to playing whichever of them is most capable now.

I don't think the Vols have the receivers or running backs to win against top SEC teams this season. Looks like the O-line's 2012 success was as much Coach Pittman as it was the players.

in response to fannotsheep:

Good points. I hate to put it this way, but right now it is hard to say just what CBJ's offense is. I'm not a football expert, just a long-time fan, but if there is a design philosophy behind what the Vols are doing right now, I haven't seen much evidence of it. It may just be that the QBs, RBs, and WRs aren't good enough to execute it. We know they are WAY short on tight ends.

If one of the freshmen were a Condredge Holloway who could manufacture plays out of thin air, I would say "Heck, yeah, put him in and let him do his thing." But everybody knew Holloway was a star when they brought him in; by comparison, Dobbs and Ferguson were regarded as guys who could be good in time, especially if accompanied by a deep, talented roster. IIRC, none of their credentials were any more impressive than Worley's in HS. This is why, IMHO, it may be a mistake to look for one of the freshmen to make a BIG positive difference for THIS year's team.

gc_scvol writes:

in response to johndavid:

Punt or kick? I'm confused.