Curt Maggitt will be evaluated for possible redshirt

John Raoux/associated press

Photo by John Raoux

John Raoux/associated press Florida quarterback Jeff Driskel looks for a receiver as he is chased by Tennessee defensive lineman Corey Vereen on Saturday in Gainesville, Fla. Vereen, a freshman, made his debut against the Gators and coach Butch Jones says he anticipates Vereen’s role to grow moving forward.

The mystery surrounding junior linebacker Curt Maggitt’s 2013 debut had some light shed on it Monday by Tennessee coach Butch Jones.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

blewissmith writes:

Makes sense.

johndavid writes:

Brewer, Sapp ,Johnson may have a little to do with this. If C.G. can help us win a game late in the season he needs to play the last 4 or 5 if he's healthy.

maciste54 writes:

100% for a redshirt. Makes a lot of sense and helps improve chances for a better UT defense next year and moving forward.

slb1zellwood#1421797 writes:

If Curt was my son I would insist that he not play this year. He best take the red-shirt, continue the rehab and prepare that knee for next year and his future.

I agree with the two previous posters. Given the "miracle" recoveries from ACL surgery some athletes have achieved, we might be expecting too much that Curt could be 100% anytime soon, even he does play. Besides, since Johnson and Sapp will be gone after this season--I think!--it would help a LOT if Curt is ready to go all-out next year. Here's another question to ponder: Is he big enough that he could play on the D-line with another 20 pounds or so? He could be of even more help there next year considering how many D-linemen the Vols lose after this season.

johndavid writes:

I'm not sure a redshirt keeps him here another year, unless he never is the same player again. At one point he was suppose to be gone to NFL as soon as eligible. If he's 100 percent that would be this year, but now that would be following next season and he still would not need the redshirt. If no risk to him he should play if he can get 4 or 5 games in this year and help the team . He may not be better than Brewer as is right now and then it would make no sense to play.

GerryOP writes:

" ...a lot of it will depend on his wishes and his family’s wishes as well.”

Sounds like UT is "pushing" him and he and his family disagree ... or ... he and his family think he is ready but UT disagrees. Somethin' going on there that is not being reported.

in response to johndavid:

I hadn't really considered the NFL angle. I don't know what the NFL thinks of his draft prospects these days, but my impression is that he would have to show a bit more than he has so far. Not that he was bad before, but he didn't strike me as the kind of player opponents had to scheme against.

He doesn't really have to be that much better than anybody we have right now to be a useful sub, or even push somebody ELSE into being a useful sub, depending on the packages they might use him in. It would be hard to blame anybody on the squad right now who looked like a draft pick to strike while the iron is hot, though for selfish reasons as a fan, I would prefer that any players of that quality would stay to help get the program turned around.

in response to GerryOP:

" ...a lot of it will depend on his wishes and his family’s wishes as well.”

Well, maybe, but I think it is good that CBJ realizes that he doesn't necessarily have the final say. I don't recall CBJ ever saying that he was 100%, essentially leaving the playing decision up to Curt. And we can't be sure which way Maggitt's family might be leaning on this. Too many unknowns for us fans to have definite opinions either way, IMHO.

GerryOP writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Agreed, that's my point. I guess I was reacting to a comment on here or GQ where some idiot was saying Maggitt was an injury magnet and was afraid to go back on the field. He has always seemed like a good kid and I'm sure it will all work out for the best.