Riley Ferguson and Josh Dobbs move up to No. 2 in Vols' new depth chart; Butch Jones says Worley back as starter

University of Tennessee quarterbacks, left to right, Riley Ferguson, Justin Worley, Nathan Peterman and Joshua Dobbs during pre-training camp at Haslam Field, Saturday, Aug. 3, 2013. (Amy Smotherman Burgess/News Sentinel)

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

Tennessee freshman quarterbacks Riley Ferguson and Josh Dobbs are both listed as backups behind starter Justin Worley in the new Vols depth chart released Monday morning.

Tennessee coach Butch Jones said Worley would likely start on Saturday when the Vols (2-2) play South Alabama (2-1) at Neyland Stadium (TV: SEC Network, 12:21 p.m.)

Worley briefly lost his job to Nathan Peterman, who endured a miserable first half in the Vols’ 31-17 loss at Florida on Saturday. Peterman is no longer listed on the depth chart. The No. 2 quarterback is listed as Dobbs "or" Ferguson.

Jones said Peterman underwent surgery on his hand on Sunday and would miss at least a month. Peterman injured his hand during the game but Jones said he was not sure when.

Worley helped move Tennessee’s stagnant offense in the second half, but he completed only 10 of 23 passes and threw two interceptions.

Peterman was 4-for-11 for 5 yards. He threw two interceptions and lost a fumble.

Although Dobbs did not travel with the team to Florida, Jones said that was "zero indication" that Ferguson was ahead in the battle to be No. 2 quarterback.

Evan Woodbery covers Tennessee football. Follow him on Twitter.

Story updated at 1:10 p.m. to reflect new comments from Butch Jones.

jandjhome#228397 writes:

Thank you coach, we are headed in the right direction. Either one will bring excitement.

kevin.g.pearson#1429098 (Inactive) writes:

Yeah I would say I was hurt too if I played that miserable of a game

gc_scvol writes:

Patience Vol Fans. I believe CBJ knows what he's doing. Remember, this time last year both Ferguson and Dobbs were playing High School ball. Big difference in HS and the SEC. I'm sure that when the time is right CBJ will play one of the true freshmen QB's. I trust him to make that decision. ALL VOL ..ALL THE TIME

STEELMAN4VOLS writes:

I hope Peterman's confidence isn't beaten down after getting gator chomped in the swamp. Shows the reservations Coach Jones had about Worley starting yet having to call upon him when things got bad. I hope the best for all the QBs and know a silverlining will come out of these clouds. Will continue to be a work in progress - one brick at a time.

johndavid writes:

PETERMAN should have played 2nd half at Oregon, and we would have known who to play at FloridA. May have cost us a program changing victory. 3 KNEEL downs and a punt or fg attempt would have given us halftime lead. Why did Worley play the entire game at OREGON????? Much more to lose playing freshman against S. Alabama!!! Oregon 2nd half was a free tryout & we wasted it!

Caneoverthere writes:

in response to STEELMAN4VOLS:

I share your concern for young Peterson, the canes had a senior QB behind our best unit, the O Line and he struggled; which was not in the swamp.

Often times we forget these players are really kids!

jone8191#247590 writes:

I hope coach Butch goes to the best high school senior QB in the nation and says, "Come to Tennessee and start." It would be an effective pitch and Lord knows the Vols need him. The cupboard is really bare on the Hill right now.

gc_scvol writes:

in response to jone8191#247590:

We have some very capable QB's right now. They just need to mature and get some game time. To say we have no QB talent right now is either a lack of knowledge or an invitation to argue. I would like to think it is the later.

bUTch__please writes:

Ummmm...Peterman hurt his hand Saturday and is undergoing surgery with a 4 to 6 week recovery timetable. Not like this was an executive decision. It's just that Coach Jones doesn't know which one belongs at two.

We now have two true Freshmen behind Wobbles who've never taken a game snap and didn't start ahead of Peterman last week. We all saw what happened there. It's not like this is a good thing, it's just a learning/coaching opportunity, for whatever that's worth at this junction.

allvol8 writes:

in response to kevin.g.pearson#1429098:

Yeah I would say I was hurt too if I played that miserable of a game

One does not have surgery for fun..of course he was hurt..

underthehill writes:

I know very little about the 2 freshmen but I did see a bit of video on Dobbs and know he was an early commit to another school out West due to them being the only school to offer the courses he wanted..UT got him after they satisfied his concerns about what courses he could take..I think he is a real talent and UT is fortunate to have him..I think he would have been heavily recruited by numerous schools if they thought they had a chance to get him..

Volsreign1 writes:

in response to kevin.g.pearson#1429098:

Yeah I would say I was hurt too if I played that miserable of a game

So, you think he "made up" a broken bone in his hand that required surgery. What a tool.

kevin.g.pearson#1429098 (Inactive) writes:

in response to Volsreign1:

Wow you guys really need to calm down, it's called a joke in response to his 4 for 11 performance of only 5 yards and 3 TOs. Sheesh, Dooley sucked the humor out of all Tennessee fans. Calm down Dads

gc_scvol writes:

in response to kevin.g.pearson#1429098:

I sure hope you never have to rely on comedy for your livelihood. Also, incase you haven't heard DD isn't here anymore, therefore, no need to discuss him.

in response to kevin.g.pearson#1429098:

Yeah I would say I was hurt too if I played that miserable of a game

The TV announcers said something about it during the game. It may have been the reason for that INT when the ball slipped out of his hand. Peterman suffered enough from his performance in front of hometown family and friends. He doesn't need arm-chair QBs running him down, too.

in response to kevin.g.pearson#1429098:

Sorry if we read your intent wrong, but sarcasm doesn't come across very clearly online. Goodness knows, we and all other teams have plenty of "fans" who are all too ready to run down hardworking young men just because they can do it while hiding behind their keyboards.

GerryOP writes:

in response to kevin.g.pearson#1429098:

Hey dude, stop being a jerk. Your "joke" is not only trashing a former coach, but also one of our footVols who is only a kid trying to give his all for Tennessee. Don't trash the kids.