Mike Strange: Worley's career can go one of two ways

Mike Strange
UT quarterback Justin Worley talked Monday, Aug. 26, 2013 about how the team is prepared for their first game Saturday against Austin Peay.    (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Michael Patrick, Knoxville News Sentinel

UT quarterback Justin Worley talked Monday, Aug. 26, 2013 about how the team is prepared for their first game Saturday against Austin Peay. (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Justin Worley’s career as Tennessee’s quarterback has yet to be defined. The jury is out.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

vut5686#1405392 writes:

Hmmmmm. As Yogi said, "When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

I think Mr. Strange is borrowing from Yogi to state the obvious.

UTANDNOBAMA writes:

I thought Yogi said.... When you come to a pic-u-nic basket...take it?

mmstil#566905 writes:

I like that in almost every article I read, there is something positive about CBJ. He stated that he wants his players to approach him with something they are going to work on this week. That's a great teaching method and just something that I've never heard about from previous coaching staffs. Hopefully this will translate to the field at some point!

Dickattrade writes:

I am hoping someone at qb position steps up and gets the job done and gives the Vols a great uplifting.

TommyJack writes:

Not down on Worley. But it's time to gitterdun, son.

GreerVol22 writes:

I wonder what coach Cut would do???

It would seem that Worley's primary directive in the early going was not to turn the ball over. That, and the cumulative inexperience of himself and his receivers, may have caused him to be extra cautious in his throws--he was late because he was trying to make sure the target was open and he threw the ball low to cut down on the possibility of being intercepted. As often as CBJ has stated his preference for more "splash" plays on offense, that was probably a distinctly secondary objective in his initial plans for the passing game. It is possible that as Worley and the receivers get more familiar with each other and with the speed and complexity of college defenses, Worley will deliver his passes with more assurance, and more will be caught with a chance for more yardage after the catch. We can only hope.

JAC0703 writes:

I think we need to come out and throw often this week. Get Worley's confidence up and see how he responds. We can't mash the ball down the SEC's throat (especially with our shotgun formation, but that's another topic) every down.

Let's put the spot light on him and see if he can make the throws. Not to mention our young receiver corps needs some reps as well. Let's see which ones can cut out the drops.

in response to JAC0703:

That is pretty much in line with what I was getting at above, but it is hard to know whether the passing game or the running game needs more work right now, or which would benefit more from working on it against what should be an inferior opponent compared to what the Vols have coming up. Whatever they can do to develop a better rhythm and confidence on the offense can only be for the good. I do agree that it would help if they cut down on the dropped passes.

I also agree with your reservations about using the shotgun or pistol as much as they do. If the Vols had a real read-option attack, it would be possible to run and throw effectively from those formations, but Worley isn't the one to run that kind of offense efficiently. Maybe if they decide to give one of the freshmen an extended look, they can get more of that kind of action.

psychovol2 writes:

Say what you will, Worley is not suited well to this offense. I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see what you're seeing. Ferguson seems to be the favorite on TN websites but Dobbs is the national experts favorite and purported to be the best suited for this attack. I'm with Joey Jones in that I don't see what's wrong with two QBs with different skill sets. The defense has to prepare for both and that's an advantage.

in response to psychovol2:

If you were responding to me, I agree that Worley probably isn't the one to run CBJ's preferred offense and pretty much said so. However, it is hard to deny that if, up to this point, none of the freshmen have convincingly demonstrated that they CAN run that offense up to CBJ's standard, they would have had a chance to do so on the field. If they just decide to write off this season entirely in order to install a significantly different offense, that would be one thing. If they want to try to win as much as they can this year with the players they have, it would be better, IMHO, to go with what they've got.

I'm no different from anybody else in wanting to see a more productive offense, but I'm not sure we would see that with a significant change in the whole strategy at this point in the season. Another important consideration is that the O-line and the RBs have mostly been coached in what the Vols are running now and the O-line will have to be totally rebuilt after this season, so why not wait until after the season to make wholesale changes? And while I agree that there can be advantages in using two QBs, it is also said that if a team has two QBs then it really has NO QBs. I guess any of us can choose our own favorite aphorism on this subject.