For Dewey Warren, Larry Seivers, it's an honor to meet UT fans

Warren, Seivers give back to fans

Former Tennessee quarterback Dewey “Swamp Rat” Warren and former Vol receiver Larry Seivers played in two different decades, but they found themselves Friday afternoon on the same team surrounded once again by orange-clad fans.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

FWBVol writes:

It blows my mind that Larry Seivers isn't in the College Football Hall of Fame. A two-time All-American receiver shouldn't have to wait more than 35 years to be honored.

bmaley18#1423974 writes:

I remember listening to the UT-UCLA game in my dorm room with friends. It was a blast and I am willing to forget Coach Prothro's fit after our winning score. Dewey said he was in and that's that!

What a great gesture to honor two of the all-time greatest Vols! Dewey didn't always throw the prettiest ball, but it was nearly always catchable. Under Coach Dickey, Dewey's emergence as a passer marked the resurgence of the Vols in "big-time" college football.

As for Seivers, there just weren't any balls thrown in his zip code that he couldn't catch. He was almost in a class by himself for the way he could stretch in any direction to make a catch, but no matter where he had to stretch to get it, he nearly always had two hands on the ball. He probably didn't catch EVERY ball thrown in his direction, but he never dropped any he SHOULD have had.

Caspian writes:

in response to bmaley18#1423974:

I missed that Memphis game with UCLA. As a kid, our family moved to Oak Ridge in 1967. So, my first experience with a TN game was the 1967 season opener with UCLA at UCLA. I sat at the kitchen table with my dad and we listened to the game on a small transistor radio. We lost that game 20 - 16. But the players (like Warren, Fulton, Flowers, Kiner, Chadwick, Pickens), through that little radio, so far away, seemed like mythical warriors. I was hooked on college football - especially those guys wearing orange.

Tao_of_Tennessee writes:

Love these guys. I wish I could get full-length game videos from back in those days.

TXVOL76KA writes:

Dewey Warren and that win over UCLA hooked me for life. Larry Siever's catch against Clemson saved face for me as my cousin was a trainer for the tigers! Great memories!