Vols' report card finds positives despite narrow win

Tennessee running back Marlin Lane (15) carries the ball against South Alabama safety Roman Buchanan (23) during the first half at Neyland Stadium in Knoxville on Saturday, Sept. 28, 2013. (ADAM LAU/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Lau

Quarterbacks C - For about a quarter and a half, Justin Worley led the Vols' offense with the speed and efficiency that coaches likely envisioned at the start of the season. It didn't last long, and a string of three-and-outs let South Alabama back into the game. The most egregious of Worley's three interceptions - right before halftime - may not have been all his fault.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

goobervol writes:

Which game were you watching? Grades reflect modern day propaganda that everyone is a winner regardless of performance. So sad that reality has disappeared and that we have relegated our team to believing that they are just as good as the GAs, LSUs, Alabamas etc. of the SEC.

c9bcc writes:

I don't think that the receivers have confidence in Worley. I remember when Compton was dogging if for half of his games then found himself. His receivers all of a sudden turned into stars.

IndianOutlaw writes:

in response to goobervol:

Your screen name truly reflects you. Congratulations for using and choosing wisely. And yes mine does reflect my and my mother & fathers heritage.

volbald writes:

I worry that this will be the last "positive" report card for the remainder of the season. Maybe some improvement will give us a chance against Vanderbilt and/or UK. Go Vols.

goobervol writes:

in response to IndianOutlaw:

I am truly sorry if my screen name offends you. It is something that I cherish because my father gave me that nickname 76 years ago when I was born in the big town of Oliver Springs, TN. Sometimes the truth can really sting, and it is apparent that my comments struck a nerve with you.

UTANDNOBAMA writes:

I agree with Goober. Tough to give coaching a B today... The whole field goal thing was crazy... Punt the dang ball there after the penalty. Plus what about all of these penalties? I thought we were going to be more disciplined? They know their football in the Oliver Springs... Outlaw you need to back off little... goober I gotcha back!

Orange_Power_T writes:

I'm sorry but a grade of C for QB's is not accurate. C means average- average work, average results. Worley's performance WAS NOT that of an average SEC QB. I was looking forward to Worley having a breakout year this season, but that has just not happened. His inconsistency befuddles me completely. One minute a perfect throw. The next is a hand-grenade lob somewhere in the vicinity....kind of. The is not the work of an average QB. Maybe Worley looks great during practice which would explain Jones' sticking with him, but game day makes the man. I don't understand why CBJ refuses to try one of the freshmen.

On another note, So. Bama's Jones had a banner day against us. Lord knows how many yards total he gained. Not once did he run a route where he was double teamed. Was CBJ's plan to give him his yardage and stop the rest of SB's offense? If so, it almost backfired on him.

wazzya69vol writes:

I agree with Goober also and don't get what you're so upset about IndianOutlaw. This Report Card must've had one heck of a curve for such high grades. It was the past creeping back in--offensive line penalties, interceptions and giving up 3rd & long!! I'm all Vol and CBJ supporter but let's call a spade a spade.

JSmith525 writes:

This report card is kinda on the crazy high side. Not sure if you watched the same 2nd half that I watched Evan. The Defense never showed in the second half until the last play when they got the interception. This type of play will NOT result in wins against the schedule the Vols have left. Worley needs to get his head on straight. Him and the receivers are NOT on the same page 75% of the time. They were playing USA not BAMA, play vs Bama like they played today and we will have another Oregon final to deal with. I am all Vol but that second half grades should be all F's. JMHO. Come on Vols get it together, The Season has really started now. There is a tough road ahead and lots of sharpe curves. Come Saturday there is going to b a huge semi in the middle of that road, how will you respond?

cltvol writes:

lane kiffin looking for work, pretty good qb coach. maybe we should go after him

RockyTop1 writes:

Since we won, help me out, a passing grade is still a D??? The C seems a little high!! Maybe a C- since it WAS a win, remember it took an inception in the end zone to secure the win!!!

IndianOutlaw writes:

in response to goobervol:

Sir, I defer to your comment as correct as it seems most respectful posters agree with you. May you have a great day and for good or bad I am Orange. It did not break in a day nor will it be fixed in a day.

LRader156 writes:

I rarely comment on articles like this, but this grade card is way too optimistic. KNS has really discredited itself with biased stuff like this. I am hopeful for the future, but they looked terrible yesterday. I get tired of the 'we don't have the players yet'. We should have the players and coaches to destroy a program that has only been playing football for 4 years in a 100,000 orange stadium. Both of their QB's looked better that anything we have put on the field. Plus, they could actually make a 3rd down throw for a 1st down. Brighter days are ahead, but we are really in bad shape right now.

in response to JSmith525:

I think you have a point in saying that the grades should have been divided between the first and second halves, i.e, pretty much B's in the first half and D's and F's in the second. I don't know how to account for the difference between the two; maybe CBJ will explain why that was on his show today. I had hoped that CBJ and staff would be a little more adaptable in making second-half adjustments than the previous staff, but that second half Saturday was a big disappointment. It seems to me as a mere fan that opponents' adjustments to what was working in the first half should be fairly predictable and there should be some kind of plan to counter those. Hardly any defense can stop everything all the time, but the Vols just seemed to play into USA's hands. I don't think they won't win any more games, but among the things that need to be fixed, strategic and tactical adjustments must be high on the list.

ut_man1#1427524 writes:

in response to volbald:

I agree, sure looks like a 4 win season! I was hoping for 6 wins and a little bowl game, but not with this weak QB play

SummerfieldVol writes:

I am still waiting on the offensive line to live up to it's billing. As the strong part of the offense, I would think with the best offense line in the SEC we should be getting 4 to 5 yard a pop,but we are lucky to be getting 2 to 3 yards. When are these guys going to live up to there potential? As far as the defense goes a team such as Tennessee that gives up 24 point to a team like South Alabama needs a lot of help on the defensive line. I have been waiting on big Dan Mc to sack a few QB'S and just plain ol plug the middle, but that has not happened yet, but I am still waiting.

OrangePride writes:

This looked like a comfortable afternoon til midway thru the third quarter. We just had NOTHING from the offense after the opening drive. Defensively, I had thought Big Sal was back for most of the second half. Yes, we won and I'm glad, but if we are to win against anyone else other than Kentucky, we have LOTS of work to do. All of this said, I am really glad to see CBJ did not throw any of his players under the bus even though he has to be displeased with that second half performance. Calling players out after a loss was one of the more annoying features of our last coach. I see lots of others 4-win season posts, but I'm not quite ready to throw the towel completely in on 6 wins just yet. We have to play better, and I think we will.

goobervol writes:

It is great to be on a site where we can all agree to disagree. One thing that we all have in common is a heartfelt desire to encourage our team, the Tennessee Volunteers, to return to the years of dominance, SEC champions, and the FIRST BCS National Champions. Of course we all want that to happen this year (I know that I do). What spoils me are two tremendous victories of years gone by that I watch on VHS (that I recorded) several times per year. (1985 Sugar Bowl: TN vs Miami and the 1998 Fiesta Bowl: TN vs FSU). We know how anxious we all are to resume our rightful place in the SEC.
For now, we will all continue our Monday morning quarterbacking while we unequivocally support our Vols, 100%!

FWBVol writes:

in response to cltvol:

With all due respect to a fellow UT fan, that's plain crazy. Kiffin is all about Kiffin. For all practical purposes he left UT in the metaphorical dead of night. And he tried to get the freshmen that were already on campus for the start of the winter semester to leave and follow him to USC before they attended a class at UT.

All that Kiffin has ever done has been about Kiffin.

ASPCA writes:

Evan, if only you had been one of my professors, my C grade performance would have resulted in me graduating Summa Cam Laude (had to change word to cam because of censor). Take off those orange tinted glasses. We're all big boys here, tell it like it is, we won't hold it against you!

A_Volunatic_Guy writes:

"The line also consistently put pressure on the quarterback during crucial drives late in the game."

"Consistently"? Is Evan talking about the S. AL defensive line?
The Vols' defensive line got some pressure on the S. AL qb during late drives, but only at times. At other times, he had all day to pass. That's why they drove down the length of the field on that last drive. Thankfully, the Vols defense DID put pressure on him on the last 3 downs.

Goodgriefcharliebrown writes:

What's the problem? After Saturday's win over USA, Tennessee leads the Sunbelt Conference with a 2-0 record. South Alabama second with one win. Also leading the Ohio Valley Conference with its win over Austin Peay, which is 0-4 overall. Big time wins over tough opponents.