John Adams: Another Lane Kiffin exit is payback for UT fans

John Adams
Southern California head coach Lane Kiffin in the third quarter during an NCAA college football game against Arizona State on Saturday, Sept. 28 2013, in Tempe, Ariz. (AP Photo/Rick Scuteri)

Photo by Rick Scuteri

Lane Kiffin’s dream job turned into a dream firing for Tennessee fans.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

MikeNPS writes:

What would REALLY make UT fans happy would be for John Adams to be fired. But alas, despite Adams' total inability to write a rational column, he does not get fired because this newspaper either has no standards whatsoever or has standards so low that even a bozo like Adams can keep his job.

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

in response to MikeNPS:

Mike, you're probably right on all points but the main reason he is not fired is because KNS has no competition in the Knoxville area.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to MikeNPS:

Take your meds son. Examine yourself for perfection. Then shut the heck up.

utfans#211352 writes:

I guess I don't get what Adams did, what part of this story is not true? It is a shame but it is all true.

TNlogfire writes:

Wrong again, adams....nobody gives a flip about kiffin anymore....he actually got screwed big-time by Southern Cal ( I love calling them that since they hate it). Everyone knew he would have NOTHING this year...plus injuries...maybe you just hate him because just like every other coach in UT since you've been lolling around they won't really talk to you...time for you to burn your own mattress and leave the Vol fans out of it.

Volsreign1 writes:

It's funny how people rail about the KNS and yet they pay to subscribe.

A_Volunatic_Guy writes:

I suppose I'm in the minority. I don't really care about kiffin being fired.
I don't blame him for the career move-- at the time SoCal WAS a better job than UT. (NCAA sanctions seem to have shifted the balance there, somewhat.) I've left jobs with very little notice because I had a better job waiting for me. A person has to do what is right for him/her.
I only hold a minor grudge against kiffin for two reasons:
1) I didn't like the way that he tried to get UT's mid-term enrollees to skip classes so that he could recruit them to SoCal. I've been told that was orgeron's doing, but the head coach has to take some of the blame for stuff like that.
2) I miss Layla.
I'm sure kiffin will land on his feet somewhere. He always does. Maybe he could come back to UT as QBs coach. After the job he did with Crompton, I can't think of a better choice for fixing whatever ails Worley.
He probably should have fired his dad sooner, btw. Monte never could figure out how to stop a well-executed option offense.

anne.luck.williams#1425744 writes:

Be honest. Which one of us who love the Vols did not think, even just a little, that Kiffen got what he deserved? More than one fan asked me Sunday if I had heard - and all had a smile. Sometimes it's just good to see that people who are arrogant, rude, and just generally not nice do not always win.

Beaverdog writes:

We do love to hate Kiffin. Remember when we loved to hate Spurrier because of the rivalry with Florida? We need to get realistic and accept that Kiffin did us the biggest favor possible by quitting. Where would we be today if he had stayed? I don't even want to think about it.

johndavid writes:

I think most people have alot more important things to think about than being extra happy because Kiffin was fired. I may not feel as sorry for him as I might some other coaches, but I dont think there is as much extreme joy as the media thinks there is. I was alot more excited about Peytons big day and the 48 dominating.

mikeyvol#1421231 writes:

UT had one losing season during Coach Fulmer's tenure until he was fired (the second one came after Mike Hamilton listened to John Adams). The program was one year removed from being SEC East Champions. John Adams being fired would be the best payback for true Vol fans.

Sauce writes:

Everybody that rails on Kiffin needs to look in the mirror. It was your school that hired him to begin with. The bizarre management of the UTAD for the last five years is unprecedented in this university's history. The inability to hire a football coach. The mishandling of the Pearl situation. The lack of leadership by the multiple Presidents. The fall of the once mighty Track program. The jury is still out on Hart, but he seems to have a clear vision of how things should be done and the support to do it. It looks like the Football program will continue to struggle until we can get some seperation from this mess.

star88#1424487 writes:

Kiffin "was clearly disappointed and battled me," Haden said. "He really tried to keep his job and I respect him for that."
I bet he did. Probably begged for it. I hear Tennessee is looking for more people to clean the stadium.

ThirdCreek writes:

One rumor has Kiffin going to the University of South Florida which is 0-4 this season so far.

FWBVol writes:

For those wanting Kiffin to come back as our QB coach, please, think about what you are saying. Does anyone really know whether it was Kiffin or Jim Chaney that helped turn Crompton around. Or maybe the light just finally came on for Crompton as a senior.

I take no delight in Lane Kiffin being fired. I wish that for no man, but at least he has had jobs that should give him and his family a bit more security as he seeks his next coaching gig.

And while I take no delight in Kiffin's firing, I don't want him back at Tennessee and it has little to do with the way he left for his dream job.

Kiffin did have a winning season at UT, but with Phillip Fulmer recruits. His best year at Southern Cal in 2011 was with Pete Carroll seniors and juniors. The jury is still out on whether or not Kiffin can really coach.

My biggest complaint with Kiffin is that he tried to make the University of Tennessee the USC of the East. A school that has given the football world Reggie White, Doug Atkins, Peyton Manning and so many others and numerous conference and national titles has a tradition that stands on its own merit.

Yes, some of you only want Kiffin as an assistant, but I don't think most of the Vol Nation would ever be happy with that if it played out.

murrayvol writes:

Just for the record, those wanting Kiffin to come back don't spend a lot of time thinking.

fannotsheep writes:

John is stirring the pot. That is what he is paid to do. It would be nice if he would dig deeper for more meaningful and enlightening columns but I guess he is coasting to retirement.

There won't be any competition to the News Sentinel. Not from a printed daily newspaper at any rate. In case you haven't noticed those are a disappearing breed. If the number of print dailies in Knoxville changes it won't be to a higher number. Best enjoy the one you have while you can.

Kiffin is just not a good coach. He does not inspire. He does not lead. He has no vision. What he had was a famous father who was great at developing and teaching innovative defensive schemes. That got him where he rose to which was basically his level of incompetence.

I'd hire Monte Kiffin at his age to coach my team. I would never hire his son. The only two worse AD decisions I've witnessed were the hiring of Wade Houston to get Allan Houston (another family quick fix fiasco), and firing Bruce Pearl to get on the NCAA's good side (they don't have one).

Goodgriefcharliebrown writes:

in response to Volsreign1:

It's funny how people rail about the KNS and yet they pay to subscribe.

I agree and how will railing on Kiffin make Tennessee better than being the win leader in the Sunbelt Conference? Move on UT is the best of the worst in the SEC.

tonyvick#213307 writes:

Tell me how do we suppose to feel about Tee Martin?