Vols will wear new 'smokey' gray uniforms for Georgia game

ADAM LAU/NEWS SENTINEL

Photo by Adam Lau

ADAM LAU/NEWS SENTINEL Tennessee football coach Butch Jones shows off the Vols’ new alternate uniform modeled by linebacker Curt Maggitt, center, while offensive lineman Zach Fulton, left, and linebacker A.J. Johnson model the traditional uniforms during media day at Neyland Stadium on Thursday.

Tennessee will wear its new gray uniforms for Saturday's game against the sixth-ranked Georgia Bulldogs.

UT confirmed the news on Twitter on Sunday night.

Tennessee (3-2, 0-1 SEC) and Georgia (3-1, 2-0) kick off at 3:30 p.m. (TV: CBS).

Vols coach Butch Jones unveiled the new uniforms during a "fashion show" in August

The alternate uniform to be worn on Saturday features a shadowy gray jersey and pants — the color is officially dubbed “smokey” — complemented by the traditional orange numbers and lettering.

“I’m excited because our players are excited, and I think our fan base is excited,” Jones said at the time. “The great thing about Tennessee is we have tradition. But any great organization is always embracing change.”

Jones said the gray alternate uniform would be used in only one home game in 2013. Georgia made the most sense, as this is a big recruiting weekend. Many students will be out of town for fall break in two weeks when the Vols host South Carolina, which could impact the game atmosphere.

Jones has said the uniform changes, which include less dramatic changes to the Vols' traditional orange and white garb, was "all about recruiting."

“We have the best colors in the country, and with the smokey gray jersey, I think it just adds to it,” he said.

Evan Woodbery covers Tennessee football. Follow him on Twitter.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

mhwhite1#1422673 writes:

So, we'll get our butts beat and look terrible in those uniforms in the process. Ugh.

gc_scvol writes:

in response to mhwhite1#1422673:

You sound truly defeated. Must be sad. I agree it doesn't look good, but when you give up before you start you rall are a loser. Go Big Orqange. ALL VOL .... ALL THe TIME

allvol8 writes:

in response to gc_scvol:

Amen..that is why they play the game!GBO!

GerryOP writes:

Every game is winnable! Go Vols!

Dickattrade writes:

Off the subject but what is the status of the Berry twins? Thanks for any information.

MikeNPS writes:

Those are the ugliest uniforms I have ever seen. A definite disgrace to UT.

Caspian writes:

They need to go with gray helmets. The white is a jarring mis-match.

Snapshot writes:

in response to Caspian:

They need to go with gray helmets. The white is a jarring mis-match.

I agree. I think one of the chrome helmets with an orange stripe and T would look better.

underthehill writes:

in response to GerryOP:

Every game is winnable! Go Vols!

No question OP..you are the top optimist on this site..and it is always good to read your opinions..but if there ever was a game that is not winnable..this may be it..I expect the dogs to name the score...and I sure wouldn't mind getting to eat a few pounds of crow...

wrh033#1421608 writes:

I actually like the new gray uniforms. What I don't like is the move away from traditional Tennessee orange for the regular home uniforms. to me, this falls into the arena of tradition that needs to be kept, not a change to be embraced. I hope Coach Jones abandons those bright orange colors after this year.

Orange_Power_T writes:

Oregon has proven that multi-uni's are a recruit favorite. I think Butch has tip-toed with this one and as far as a new look uni, he stayed within a realm of tolerable. He knew the traditionalists would balk. Frankly, what we need, and I mean absolutely need, is more talent on this team. If smokey grey uni's are able to help that along, I'm all for it.

Tao_of_Tennessee writes:

Actually I like the gray uniforms for one game a year but I am not in favor of it against a long term conference rival. I am good with it for a non-conference game, or one of the new SEC additions (A&M or Mizzou) since there is little history, or maybe even one of the 1992 additions, but not any of the old line SEC core teams.

rockypop writes:

Let's hope the outcome is better than when Georgia debuted their new Nike Pro Combat unis against Boise State in the Georgia Dome in 2011. Georgia lost that game, 35-21. Where were the recruits to whom those unis mattered then?

in response to rockypop:

They may be some of the same recruits that are making UGA a top-ten team this year! I get it that most traditionalists won't get behind the gray unis. However, ask yourself this: Would you give back the victory against USCe a few years ago because the Vols wore black unis? Did you not notice how fired-up the players looked when they came on the field? Do you particularly care WHAT fires up the players as long as they ARE fired up? I would rather they permanently switched to gray than to see those all-orange unis. Long-time Vol fan that I am, I have just NEVER liked that look. So opinions on unis vary. The Vols would still be my guys if they played in burlap feed sacks.