Diamond DeShields' mother says daughter not talking about transfer until school's out

North Carolina guard Diamond DeShields (23) shoots between South Carolina's Asia Dozier, left, and Tina Roy (23) during the first half of a regional semifinal at the NCAA college basketball tournament in Stanford, Calif., Sunday, March 30, 2014. (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez)

Women’s basketball fans and observers along with media have been talking about Diamond DeShields since North Carolina announced last week that the Tar Heels freshman guard was transferring.

DeShields hasn’t spoken, however. And she won’t — at least for the time being.

DeShields’ mother, Tisha, told the News Sentinel via Facebook Wednesday morning that her daughter would not be making a statement until after finishing the semester at North Carolina. Tisha also said that the family has not spoken to any other schools.

There’s been considerable speculation regarding DeShields and Tennessee. One radio station in Chapel Hill, N.C., cited a source in characterizing DeShields transferring to Tennessee as “a done deal.”

Tennessee was one of the five finalists for DeShields, who was one of the top prospects in the Class of 2013. Furthermore, her mother attended UT and was a track and field standout with the Lady Vols. Tisha, who ranks third all-time at Tennessee in the heptathlon, was an All-American in 1991.

DeShields’ recruitment ended abruptly in the spring of 2012 when she and three other players committed to North Carolina on the same day.

In her first season with the Tar Heels, DeShields averaged 18 points, 5.4 rebounds and 2.6 assists per game and was honored as the nation’s top freshman by both the USBWA and espnW.

North Carolina coach Sylvia Hatchell released a statement last week saying, “I do not know or understand why Diamond DeShields has decided to leave The University of North Carolina.”

Theo writes:

Good for the mom! I love it when the mom steps forward to say enough is enough. Just remember mama bears aren't dangerous until you get between them and their cubs.

tnfrank writes:

When will the semester be over.

ModelMaker writes:

Yeah, when will the semester be over?

ModelMaker writes:

in response to Theo:

Ain't that the truth.

vol4life1983 writes:

right before Mother's Day weekend. I think it will be Uconn, Tennessee, or South Carolina

MaxVolFan writes:

in response to vol4life1983:

I highly doubt she would go that far north to Uconn just to play ball . She mentioned she was homesick a lot. Plus Uconn has a 6'1 wing player coming in for 2015 that averages 25 a game . Doubt Geno is going after her. SC is a possiblity after they lose a couple seniors and UT is my guess . I'm hoping she brings her friend Tea and Caliya Robinson along with her.

jmaples54 writes:

Knoxville sports radio's resident sourpuss mickey deerstone stated before the ncaa tournament how he "hated" diamond deshields. it will be priceless to see how his tune changes if she comes to ut. (I agree with his pov much of the time but he just can't help being an a--hole about it!)

SoddyVol writes:

Tennessee Ladies could use someone with a little more ego and confidence who also has the TALENT to back it up, as long as the ego isn't too far overboard. Simmons talent failed just a little to match her ego.

MaxVolFan writes:

I don't see a ego issue . Maybe overconfident but that's not a bad thing if your a winner. Ive watched this kid play hs ball and now Unc and she is the type of player that just needs the ball in her hands. Hates to lose. Nothing bad about this. Candace had this confidence, Chamique, Diggins and Maya Moore. Right now she might be more of a Diana Taurasi playing with a swagger but again nothing wrong with that as long as you play team ball and not me ball.

Theo writes:

It could be longer than just around Mother's day. I believe they said not until after school is out which is actually infinity.
Would love to have her. Nothing wrong with a little confidence. I think MS used a lot of self affirmation to try and give herself confidence. I think the fact that she did not have her best games when the spot light was brightest kind of showed that maybe the confidence was not too deep. Too much psychoanalysis there. Anyway would love to add a kid to the mix who has that "are you kidding me with trying to guard me" like Candace.

SoddyVol writes:

in response to Theo:

Yes, you are right about MS. Also agree with last thing you said about Candace. I remember the ref in 2008 championship saying something to Candace about her talk and Candace just smiled and said something that we couldn't hear but seemed pleasant.