David Climer: Vols' Tyndall starts in hole for recruiting

Donnie Tyndall is introduced as the new University of Tennessee head basketball coach during a press conference at Pratt Pavilion, Tuesday, April 22, 2014. Tyndall was formerly the coach at Southern Mississippi. (Amy Smotherman Burgess/News Sentinel)

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

New Tennessee basketball coach Donnie Tyndall did the right thing when he released the four signees he inherited.

But it's going to hurt.

Tyndall runs the risk of bringing a butter knife into the sword fight of an SEC schedule. Even though the recruiting class compiled by Cuonzo Martin lacked big names, it would have provided across-the-board depth that Tennessee desperately needs.

The Vols are short on bodies and talent. Only eight scholarship players remain, and one of them, Quinton Chievous, had planned to transfer but now says he will see how offseason workouts go before deciding whether to remain at Tennessee for his junior season.

Continue reading at The Tennessean.

TommyJack writes:

Hard to see how next year's team would have been successful with CCM. Let the rebuilding begin with a coach that believes in recruiting.

AxeMan writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Some idiots didn't consider averaging 21 wins a season, having the 3rd most league wins behind only Donovan and Cal over a 3 year period and making the Sweet 16 only 3 years after a cheating/lying/firing/probation scandal to be "successful" so I would say for some a lot of things are hard to see.

jakethevolguy writes:

in response to AxeMan:

What you obviously can't or won't see is that even with this past season's tallented roster CCM's team barely even made the NCAA and probably would not have made it except for the fact that the team got fired up and started playing to their potiental only after his job was on the line. A good coach gets his team fired up and ready to play all year, not just when his arse is about to get canned. Even with the end result this team was under achievers.

AxeMan writes:

in response to jakethevolguy:

Speak of the devil.

bricker865#1439238 writes:

in response to AxeMan:

Are you going to boo hoo forever on this? The last coach is gone. Time to get on board or get lost.

AxeMan writes:

in response to bricker865#1439238:

You mean like the idiot petition signers who got on board or got lost? Oh wait, some have yet to stop crying for Bruce. I guess I get to keep calling idiots idiots for 3 more years. Or maybe I'll just call them what they are now, Auburn fans.

no1djkb#278630 writes:

in response to AxeMan:

Way to keep it real AxeMan

Alpha-Snail writes:

in response to jakethevolguy:

As painful as it is for Axeman and others, this analysis is correct. Hart may have also seen it this way. If you recall, at least one KNS article was written before the NCAA's stating that CCM needed to make the tournament and win one or two games for him to keep his job.

With that as backdrop, what would happen if UT wasn't one of the last teams to make the NCAA's or if they lost to Iowa in overtime? Impossible to say, except for this: Martin almost certainly wouldn't be at Cal today, and he probably wouldn't still be at UT. Martin's last minute success, as great as it was, was that razor thin.

crod writes:

wake me up when it's all over and we are competing at a high level again. how in the h*ll are we better off? i understand the displeasure when the team was 16-11 and on the bubble. i was not happy myself. but our program had four good recruits coming in, and don't f***in tell me that they weren't pretty good. i disagree with comments here, we are better off if martin stays one more year. bruce pearl didn't help. with him living in knoxville, why wouldn't ut fans want him back? i'm just glad that i didn't sign the petition, and stayed with the team. i went to five games and also the sweet 16 game. i haven't been able to replay the charge call on the dvr. it hurts too bad. maybe one day i can look at it on tv and see just how bad of a call it was.

AxeMan writes:

in response to Alpha-Snail:

Actually just calling that an "analysis" is painful since an analysis generally requires thought. But then again analysis does include the word "anal" in it which is extremely apropos, since anyone trying to rationalize what was done to CCM is full of sh*t.

AxeMan writes:

in response to no1djkb#278630:

Way to keep it real AxeMan

I just don't know what kind of brain damage someone has to have to support the BBB petition and then say we need to "get on board" with a new coach.

Alpha-Snail writes:

in response to AxeMan:

What's with the high school level personal attacks? Can you not persuasively argue your position any other way? If not, perhaps it isn't as strong as you think.

One problem with hiding our names on this site is it encourages some to say things we almost never would anywhere else. It's perhaps the biggest reason why so many of threads degenerate the way this one has.

AxeMan writes:

in response to Alpha-Snail:

So not only do you expect me to forget about what you guys did to CCM, the basketball program, the university's reputation and the players and recruits, you expect me to be nice? In case you haven't caught on to it yet, you don't deserve to be treated nice. I've been a UT basketball fan since the 70s and the last 10 years have actually been the best decade in our history and all that got soured by a bunch of noobs who jumped on board during the Pearl years and don't know what bad is. Guess what, you're about to find out.

murrayvol writes:

I've been a UT fan since birth and will be one until I go toes up. Don't know about you but I exert exactly zero control over who coaches our teams. However, I will continue to support whoever that is, including Donnie Tyndall.

I don't know if we're "about to find out what bad is" or not. I'm hoping not.

AxeMan writes:

in response to murrayvol:

I don't know if we're "about to find out what bad is" or not. I'm hoping not.

I hope not too. I hope CDT can get Cofer back, finds a good get that has been overlooked and the returning players step up and fill the shoes of the guys they've been playing behind. I had figured next year was going to be a down year anyway because we lost so many upperclassmen and Tennessee is not a program that just reloads, we have to rebuild. Even Pearl dipped drastically the year after Lofton & Jajuan graduated.

gogovols2002#222335 writes:

One thing for sure... A JUCO or 1 year eligibility recruit should help immediately and patch the roster for a halfway decent season next year. Tydall already has a great sales pitch to give them... Six have left and we have the slots to put you in there. By recruiting players with short term commitments he will have more scholarship openings in the long run to bring in the HS/ long term recruits of his choosing.

sambad writes:

in response to jakethevolguy:

I couldn't have said it better.

sambad writes:

A good coach would have had a good play called for that last 9 seconds against Michigan. You don't isolate your big man out of his proven shooting range where he can be double teamed and not have a backup plan where he can pass to a breaking guard. That was ridiculous. Or you an go back to the game where we had all of the opposing big men in foul trouble and we went 17 minutes with not 1 single pass being thrown to Stokes. I would have put walk ons into the lineup until I found someone who could have helped me expose the apparent weakness the opponent was in at that time.

fannotsheep writes:

I am a Pearl fan but won't be an Auburn fan. I was a Tennessee fan with coach Martin and will be with every coach they hire. I am not a teenager from some other state who is loyal only to a coach, though I understand why that is almost always the case.

Pearl is a great coach and utilized his players at Tennessee unbelievably well. Martin had disappointed me until the late season run but during that run he did an amazing job. It was how thoroughly the Vols destroyed their opponents that impressed me so much. The defense, though schemed differently, was as dominant as the one Pearl deployed.

I wanted Pearl to be UT's coach and never thought it was fair that he was fired. Once it became clear he would not be returning I hoped Martin would stay and try to build on this season. I thought he would have a hard time next year but might have caught some more talented players' attention with the job he did late this year.

You don't have to be anti-Martin to have been pro-Pearl. I am a UT basketball fan who realized that the NCAA used excessive force when it made UT fire its coach. A $1 million fine (to be paid by Pearl) would have been severe punishment but would not have forced UT to fire its coach.

You may disagree with me -- and with each other -- but if you are a UT fan it's time to stop being against either former coach and stop being against each other. Just be for Tennessee.

underthehill writes:

in response to Alpha-Snail:

I think the low buyout was because UT had good reason to think they would have had to pay it before next season ended..therefore..if you were a Martin supporter..you should be able to figure out that the very best thing for Martin and for UT is exactly what happened..Martin got a good job and UT is starting early with a new coach instead of having to fire Martin mid-season if attendance demanded it..and it was more than likely that it would have...repeat..it was best for Martin and UT the way things worked out..now move on

underthehill writes:

in response to fannotsheep:

the past is past and UT has it's work cut out to get competitive again..the sooner the better..

Chris_L75 writes:

in response to fannotsheep:

Hopefully with time, others will be able to approach this in the manner prescribed by your last paragraph. If not, it's gonna be tough to browse this site during whatever low moments the team might experience next season.

Had a rather in-depth discussion with a friend this afternoon about the whole sad situation. One aspect is that it's basically impossible for any fan to prove their lack of bad faith and sinister motives, once large numbers have been painted with that brush.

For example: it seems to me that, if Pearl had not been perceived as "on the market" at the very moment when coach Martin's team was struggling the most, the deeply ill-advised petition might not have materialized. Per fannotsheep's perspective, they yearned for what seemed like a golden era cut short. Others disagree, contending it was driven by pure racial hatred that had it in for Martin from square one.

Exactly what percentages of these two motives combined to make up the infamous 36,000, we'll never know. What we have to go on, in terms of the comments here, are mostly anonymous postings that require a lot of reading between the lines. And reading between the lines can be hazardous to the truth and general good will amongst our neighbors.

Patience is hard, especially for those of us prone to "live and die" with each game or news item. A couple of times early this season, after particularly bitter defeats, I commented in a tone that was too harsh and despairing. I'm learning and working on that "can't stand losing" mentality. A game doesn't make a season, and a season doesn't make a program.

What I'm getting at is, it might be best to use caution before deciding that all critics and doubters of our now-former coach are motivated in evil ways. No doubt some are; the dominant tone of political commentary in this paper would indicate as much. But more, I believe, are simply immature and impatient, not unlike myself at times. Probably coach Tyndall will find this out soon if not already. I hope he isn't discouraged even now by the intra-fan warfare often featured here.

Sorry if that post was too long or made too little sense. May the troubles not last. Go Vols.

AxeMan writes:

in response to fannotsheep:

I'm pro-"any coach who wins and runs a clean program." I'm anti-"delusional people who call themselves fans who screw up a good thing to try to get back something they were never going to get." Pearl wasn't coming back. You don't rehire someone you fired for cheating and lying. Even used car dealers hardly ever do that. In hindsight the only option would have been to suspend Pearl for the length of his show cause and hire a "caretaker" or "placeholder" coach who knew up front that in 3 years he was gone. They could have even recruited in his name. But that didn't happen and some "fans" took out their frustration on Martin. And then there are the ones who didn't like having a black man in a position of authority and not seeing a white face in uniform on the bench or in at the end of the game. But those and thankfully in a tiny minority.

in response to Chris_L75:

IMHO, this is about as fair, honest, and insightful a summation of the current sorry situation that I have seen on here. People's true attitudes and motivations are always a mystery, often even to themselves. It is hard for people to refrain from finger-pointing and I-told-you-so's in complicated situations with emotional overtones. However, considering that most of life consists of just such situations, a measure of humility and empathy would seem desirable for all concerned. It's easy to say "let bygones be bygones" but it is extraordinarily hard to actually do so. For the sake of the university and the athletic program, which most of us claim to love, let's all try to be bigger people about this and move on. And yes indeed, GO VOLS!!!

Share your thoughts