Brad Pendergrass leaving Tennessee football program

Tennessee head coach Butch Jones takes to the field with director of football operations Brad Pendergrass, right, before the Orange and White game at Neyland Stadium Saturday, April 20, 2013. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer

Brad Pendergrass has resigned from his position as director of football operations, Tennessee announced on Monday.

Pendergrass held a similar role under former coach Derek Dooley and was retained by new coach Butch Jones when he was hired after the 2012 season.

"It is with a heavy heart that I have decided to resign from my position on the football staff here at Tennessee," Pendergrass said in a release. "I am very appreciative of the experiences this great university has afforded me, and I look forward to watching the successes that lie ahead on many fronts. I would like to thank Dave Hart, Butch Jones, and many others for their support and advice in this decision, and I look forward to new opportunities for professional and personal growth."

This was the second stint at UT for Pendergrass, who began as a student manager under former coach Phillip Fulmer. He was later a graduate assistant and full-time recruiting assistant.

He also held administrative positions at Mississippi State and Wisconsin before returning to UT in 2010.

Pendergrass made $102,000 annually, according to figures released last year.

"I would like to personally thank Brad for all of his efforts and contributions to Tennessee football," Jones said in the release. "We wish him much success in the future, and Brad will always be a Vol for Life."

Evan Woodbery covers Tennessee football. Follow him on Twitter.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2014, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

atnvol#283282 writes:

Why? No mention.

OrangePride writes:

Sounds suspiciously like we are not all on the same page of music as to how we will move forward. I think Butch Jones has a very, very clear and well articulated set of plans that probably don't leave a lot of room for outside ideas that aren't quite a fit. IF. . that is the situation, then its a good idea to just move on and leave with class. Better to not muddy our water, and then pursue other opportunities that may well be out there.

scvols writes:

Where do I send my resume?

OrangePride writes:

in response to scvols:

Where do I send my resume?

Send it to Dr. Circular File, Box 86, Lake Loudon, TN. Sorry, but before this ever happened and hit the paper, there was already a very short list well in hand. Sadly, neither of our names was on it.

frieswiththat writes:

Brad could be very disrespectful to some players. The starters and all, he sucked up to while others, and it is a team game, he would step on their dreams if given the chance. We need to send people like him to Alabama.

jakethevolguy writes:

in response to frieswiththat:

If that IS the case, then good riddins!!