Bruce Pearl cancels appearance at Big Orange Tip Club due to ESPN conflict

In this Feb. 14, 2009, photo, former Tennessee coach Bruce Pearl directs players against Vanderbilt during a game at Thompson Boling Arena on Saturday. Tennessee won the game 69-50. (Amy Smotherman Burgess/News Sentinel)

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess, Knoxville News Sentinel

Former Tennessee men’s basketball coach Bruce Pearl had to cancel his speaking engagement scheduled for Wednesday with the Big Orange Tipoff Club at Calhoun’s on the River.

The news was delivered Tuesday in an email from the booster club.

“Sometimes things happen that are beyond our control, as can be the case when you have speakers that are on national television. Bruce Pearl was scheduled to speak this week, but has been called out of town to work by ESPNU and has to cancel his scheduled visit tomorrow. He sends his apologies, and we will look to reschedule him for another time.”

Pearl is a college basketball an analyst for ESPN.

Lady Vols basketball coach Holly Warlick will fill Pearl’s spot. Warlick’s appearance last week was canceled when the group was unable to meet due to weather conditions.

WaitUntilNextYear writes:

Yea right?
Must realize his time in K-Town is limited.
Pretty cowardly thing to do last minute, oh wait, being a snitch and a liar is also cowardly.

jakethevolguy writes:

in response to WaitUntilNextYear:

Yea right?
Must realize his time in K-Town is limited.

underthehill writes:

My guess is Bruce Pearl has an agent who is very active these days..I don't think he will be back at UT but I do think he will be offered a head job sooner than most think..and I think he will be coaching next year...

no1djkb#278630 writes:

Why do we keep on talking about Bruce Pearl?

I get where the critics on here are coming from, but I would pay money to hear Pearl speak on any subject. I too think he will have a coaching job in the near future, I just hope it won't be in the SEC, if he doesn't wind up back here. However, since the only way he is at all likely to come back here would be if this year's team falls on its face from here on, I hope he gets a job elsewhere.

no1djkb#278630 writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I bet he is a great motivational speaker.
The problem I have with some of the fans is what are you saying to coaches that come here? If you don't do it the way Pearl does it, we will kick you out.
Martin came into a bad situation, we need to give him more respect in my opinion.
I honestly hope this team makes it to the elite eight so they can tell the Pearl lovers to stuff it. I like the guy myself but he does not work for the University anymore. Coach Martin is the head coach. Lets stand behind him.

jakethevolguy writes:

in response to no1djkb#278630:

I bet he is a great motivational speaker.

UT will never have a competitive team with Martin coaching. I like the guy but he cannot coach like Pearl can. I think Pearl will be at Alabubba next year. Shame!!

underthehill writes:

in response to jakethevolguy:

Who would a thought Kiffen to bama..Pearl would be less surprising than that one..and it would be UT's worst nightmare in basketball..and would bama Dave prefer he be at bama or UT..

in response to no1djkb#278630:

I bet he is a great motivational speaker.

Don't you think it's fair to expect a fairly high level of success at UT these days? There are a lot of seats to fill in TBA, and it is hard to expect 20k+ fans to come out every night if the team doesn't entertain and/or win. I think the Vols are good enough and playing well enough that the crowd ought to turn out for them. As I have said before, I really hope Martin succeeds here, because however much he updates his philosophy of the game, his bedrock values won't change and we won't have to worry much that either he nor his players will embarrass themselves or us by their off-court conduct. If he does get to the tourney, and especially if the team survives the first weekend, that would be a good enough coaching job that recruiting may well pick up, and his chances for success going forward will improve.

in response to jakethevolguy:

The Vols "will never have a competitive team with Martin coaching"?!?! You don't think they are competitive now? Have you been watching lately? What will you say if the Vols virtually win out like they have the last couple of years and go into the postseason with a head of steam?

I do agree that Pearl at Alabama would be a "revoltin' development" but I would not be willing to fire Martin just on the chance of keeping that from happening...IF he completes the task of getting this team into the NCAAs and hopefully makes a little headway.

jakethevolguy writes:

in response to johnlg00:

After a 1 and done in the SEC tourney the Vols will be going back to the NIT for another 1 and done. Same ole same ole as the last couple of years. And, no, I don't think that they are competitive now. If they were I would be expecting them to win every game that they play.....and I don't.

underthehill writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I think this team has a better than 50% chance to make the big show and I think Martin will be the coach next year..as for Pearl..I hope he don't go to any SEC school ..I would not want the Vols to have to compete against him..

no1djkb#278630 writes:

in response to jakethevolguy:

Listen here is the deal. They have stunk up the joint in a few games and that is because of the lack of shooting and when they could not shoot the ball, they did not have a PG that could get into the paint and create closer shots. We don't know the future but we know the here and now and the players are saying they work harder now because they expect the ball when Thompson is on the floor. If this young man can continue to make good decisions, we will do a lot better. I know you guys don't like to here this but losing Golden was tuff and when Barton did not show up, it made things worse. This offense is a point guard driven offense. Most championship teams have great guard play. In my opinion, we haven't had a good PG since CJ Watson. I think this team will surprise a lot of people. Just have faith and GBO!

oldschoolvol writes:

in response to no1djkb#278630:

You,sir, are exactly correct. The lack of good point guard play is the whole reason we have been inconsistent this year. Everyone plays harder and more efficiently when there is a good point guard. Well stated.

no1djkb#278630 writes:

in response to oldschoolvol:

Thanks Oldschool. As you can see, I really want these guys to do well. They represent the university well. They really believe in the team concept. We need this win tonight. I know its Vanderbilt but they play great at home. I hope Thompson continues to improve.

in response to jakethevolguy:

It's still pretty much a free country and you are as entitled to your opinion as anybody else, but unless you have been watching different games than most of the rest of us have, I don't see how you can say that they "aren't competitive". Unless you are also making up your own language, in which the words mean different things than they do in English. We won't disturb you in your pessimism when things turn out differently than you think they will; it seems too deeply embedded in you to be removed safely.

CurtisVOL writes:

in response to no1djkb#278630:

Why do we keep on talking about Bruce Pearl?

We continue to focus on Bruce Pearl because he has been the only BB Coach who has put UT in the same conversation as UK or other top programs. He is out hope for the future. Too bad you have lived such a perfect life as to not need forgiveness.