Tennessee men's basketball team falls at Vanderbilt, 64-60

However you call it, Vols fall short after Richardson's drive to basket

Mark Zaleski/Associated Press

Photo by Mark Zaleski

Mark Zaleski/Associated Press Tennessee guard Josh Richardson, right, drives past Vanderbilt forward James Siakam, second from left, and guard Dai-Jon Parker but loses control of the ball with 3.4 seconds left in the game Wednesday, Feb. 5 in Nashville. Tennessee forward Jarnell Stokes, left, look on. Vanderbilt won 64-60.

Vanderbilt players wore special T-shirts before their game against the Tennessee men’s basketball team. “Our State” read the line of text that went across the tops of their backs. And on Wednesday, it was.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

TommyJack writes:

Seven scholarship players. Seven.

jandjhome#228397 writes:

Do what you have to do Hart.

wilk58 writes:

Learn what? Get out of the way on drives to basket! At least when your fouling there is some effort. Vandy wasn't even in the bonus with all the driving they were doing in first half.

magicbyswh#221420 writes:

Same ole same ole We alway hear this - slow start, we aill learn from this, we did not play defense the way we are capable of playing, we came out flat blah blah blah, I am tired of hearing all of this. You are not a good team and Martin is not a good coach. Accept another NIT bid and move on.

murrayvol writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Seven scholarship players. Seven.

Yes, but they're "magnificent".

brewlocal writes:

I heard a guy say this was like watching the football team lose to Kentucky with a wide receiver playing QB.

I was there, I agree. It's hard work pulling for this team.

tgggovols#1425081 writes:

Bruuuuuuce! Where are you? Helllllp!

WaitUntilNextYear writes:

Coach Cafego is turning in his grave, Vols can't beat Vandy in football, men and woman's basketball and baseball. If we had a bowling team we would lose to them also.
Loserville!

WaitUntilNextYear writes:

in response to tgggovols#1425081:

Bruuuuuuce! Where are you? Helllllp!

Bruce was 19-15 in his year that he got caught cheating.
He isn't coming back. The lying snitch showed his backside screwing the TipOff Club yesterday.

Bandit2 writes:

I knew we were in trouble when Martin started talking about making it to the NCAA earlier in the week. As for Pearl, he had his chance and blew it. UT's basketball future should not include him an any way, fashion or form.

troubleinc writes:

I so didn't want to be in the camp that wanted Pearl back, but I am. Ready for Tennessee basketball to be relevant again.

OrangePride writes:

OMG!! Really?? Vandy comes out with T shirts basically calling you out and you come out flat?? You have that little pride? That little care for your university and the uniform you wear? And this is not the first time, either. This about the 7th time. And saying, "The main thing is us trying to learn from this game" is equally tiring. We've heard it all multiple times before and you seem to never really learn from any of it...at least not for more than a couple of games. I have been resisting joining the growing din of voices saying it's time for a change at the helm, but it's getting harder. Someone once said that organizations always take on the characteristics of their leader. Perhaps that's it. CCM's low-key, unflappable, seemingly detached demeanor has so infiltrated this team that they just don't know how to be passionate every game, or at least for an entire game. I don't know....what I do know is something is mightily wrong! I'll be there for USC, but I surely don't know why.

OrangePride writes:

in response to WaitUntilNextYear:

Loserville!

Many don't really know the real Coach Cafego and his hatred of Vanderbilt. I do. And I would pay good money to see him that half-time locker room!! Upon exit, it is highly likely that we would only have had 7 scholarship players fit to continue! lol.

underthehill writes:

in response to OrangePride:

I agree ..I don't see how it is possible to say you come out flat against an opponent whose only hope to win is to show more effort and heart than you..but I saw it happen ..I'm sitting here thinking Bernard King would have loved for an opponent to try that on him..I saw him stand at the half court line and stare at the other team just to get himself fired up..I can't imagine what he would have done if someone tried sending him a message..

bUTch__please writes:

Start flat.

Play passive.

Repeat.

I'm thinking "Tougher Breed" should have been "Zombie Apocalypse"

Plasticman85 writes:

in response to troubleinc:

I'm a season ticket holder and almost have an apathy attitude anymore with this team and coach. Unless we either 1) bring Bruce Pearl back or 2) hire a big name coach , I am done with Wasting anymore money on UT basketball. Let's either get serious about having a program or just give it up altogether. Bring back Bruce!

Golferdocvol writes:

in response to magicbyswh#221420:

AMEN ! Very tired of these excuses. This team must not care much about CM , because they will not " get up for the game ". Disgusting.

STLVOLS writes:

Well, ya know-You can't just show up and expect to win because of press about undermanned opponent. We all know Vols have more talent than Vandy but the motivation to win certainly was not there-Geez-I am getting redundant because previous comments have already said it. FRUSTRATION by me also. Geez!!

halhhaynes#364264 writes:

Dear UT...PLEASE bring back Bruce. Enough already!

gglardon50#417841 writes:

just like football

UTANDNOBAMA writes:

NO FREAKIN PRIDE!!!! YOU LOSE TO VANDY WHEN THEY CLAW THE BALL OUT OF YOUR COLD DEAD FINGERS!!!! MAN UP!!!!

ML2020 writes:

The late Al McGuire said it clearly "the most important player on a college basketball team is the point guard". He is the floor manager who executes the Coaches game plan. I don't think fans quite understand the loss of Tra Golden. He was an experienced point guard. Tennessee has no point guard. And, as the late Al McGuire said "if you want to beat a good team, you have to cut the head off the snake". And the snake is the point guard.

Buttcrackhead writes:

Once again...I watched this game on my phone thanks to Comcast. We got beat by a team with 7 players and one was sick..We never ran...We should have run them out of the gym until their tongues were dragging the ground...I saw Stallings continue to outcouch him especially after time outs...I knew at the end of the game we would find a way to lose...and we did. We Suck..BBB...BBB....BBB

Snapshot writes:

in response to WaitUntilNextYear:

Bruce was 19-15 in his year that he got caught cheating.

Get over it dude. You were probably loving it when they were in the Big Dance six years in a row and going to Sweet Sixteens and Elite Eights, weren't you? How are you liking it now?

Your holier-than-thou attitude is pretty nauseating.

mharts writes:

Jerry green you are owed an apology!

forkball writes:

It's a matter of playing hard 40 minutes every game. And they just refuse.

No hunger, no sense of urgency. A good man is about to lose his job because he obviously treats them too well.

If nothing else make them watch video of guys like Jimmy England, Bill Justus, Dale Ellis, Mike Jackson, Bernard King, or Ernie Grunfeld who played every possession like their lives depended on it.

We are disgustingly soft. Nice kids, good citizens, talented athletes. Just not hungry enough.

VibrantVol writes:

in response to Snapshot:

Your holier-than-thou attitude is pretty nauseating.

Amen! Pearl told the Tipoff Club a week ago he was on call with ESPNU & might not be able to make the speaking engagement, so there was no "screwing" of the club, as "WaitUntil" implied. We are lost under Martin. Pearl will wind up at another SEC school due to Cheek's opposition to hiring him & will whip Martin at least once, if not more, next season.