Lady Vols too casual for comfort in beating Ole Miss

Thomas Graning/associated press

Photo by Thomas Graning

Thomas Graning/associated press Tennessee coach Holly Warlick reacts during the second half against Ole Miss in Oxford, Miss., on Thursday.

Tennessee’s Isabelle Harrison chose the word “casual” to describe the Lady Vols’ effort against Ole Miss. The junior center wasn’t offering a compliment.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

WaitUntilNextYear writes:

Barely escaped against the three bottom feeders in the SEC.
This team has been really lazy throughout the season.
Coach Warlick was in obvious distress in Oxford watching these so called stars muddle through a victory against a poor team.
They now have Vandy, UK, LSU and Carolina to finish out the season. All ranked in the top 20.
If the same poor shooting, lazy D, turnover machine, brick FT's and general lackadaisical attitude prevail they will finish in fifth place.
If they play to win then they own the SEC championship.
Without Burdick they lose the last three, she has stepped up and been awesome.
Graves and Jones are liabilities and Russell has so much potential but is lazy and won't fight for anything.
Simmons hot is hot, but cold is just a turnover machine.
Please teach Jones to dribble before she runs. She has averaged 2-3 turnovers a game traveling.
The LV's are 13 out 14 in the SEC in turnovers.
You could see it in CW's face her frustration.
Home stretch to a championship, good luck.

MichaelL writes:

The team has a lot of athletic talent, but is not preforming at the highest level. The breakdowns that have occurred in almost every game are puzzling, but I have to say that it isn't for lack of talent. I see a lot of up and down effort. There are times that they seem stagnant out there on both offense and defense. That seems to me to be a lack of focus, and motivation. It is the job of the coach to produce that. I don't doubt that Warlick is trying, but so far, she has had limited success. It seems that this team, as a group, just don't have the heart of a champion. Another thing that is concerning is Massingale. It seems that she has had plenty of time to recover from that blow she took against Florida. Her continued absence is suspicious. Has she given up on this team, and is she using this as an excuse to opt out? I fully expect a loss the Vandy on Monday, and won't be surprised to see similar results against Kentucky, LSU and South Carolina. I'm actually not 100% sure of a win against ANY team they play nowadays. This is crunch time in the season. Please step up and prove me wrong.

RLL59 writes:

If you're unwilling to accept the possibility that your tactics or strategy may be lacking, then character flaws, such as laziness or poor attitude, are the only answers for underachievement and poor development. How many players over the years have to carry that reputation before someone decides to look elsewhere for the real problems?

ATL_VOL_FAN writes:

in response to MichaelL:

I tend to agree with the majority of your post.
This team plays very Jekyll and Hyde - At times, moments of brilliance and then others leaving you scratching your head (disjointed). While there has been improvement in the last several games with regard to in-game coaching and defense, there is still much room for improvement. I've yet to see this team arrive on court with the authority and confidence we're going to win this game and when it's over, you're going to know who you've played. The team and coaches continue to preach the "Tennessee Way," but unfortunately, it appears much has been lost in transition. With regard to CHW, I truly believe she loves and is passionate about the Lady Vols program, but she too leaves me wondering at times. Something just doesn't appear to be right? Just perception, but from the outside looking in, I tend to wonder if she has the respect and commands the authority as the LEADER of the program? Are the players receiving mixed messages from the coaches? Obviously, there's a disconnect somewhere? Hopefully, they'll figure it our sooner rather than later or I too believe they'll experience several significant losses going forward even though in most instances they'll have home court advantage. It's theirs to lose!! GO LV's!

underthehill writes:

I think Holly and her staff are doing an excellent job of trying to find ways for this team to become the best it can be..I think that is why we are seeing more defensive changes during the games than ever before..I think this will be evident in the Vandy game..I think this staff will be ready to handle anything Vandy throws at em this time..we'll see...

Allenfan writes:

in response to underthehill:

What changes are you seeing that I am not, except a zone that they don't play very well.

MichaelL writes:

in response to Allenfan:

Good question. I would like to see the answer, because I missed those changes.