Vols rout South Carolina, 72-53

Tennessee forward Jeronne Maymon (34) rebounds over South Carolina guard Duane Notice (10) and South Carolina forward Mindaugas Kacinas (25) during the first half of an NCAA basketball game at the Thompson-Boling Arena in Knoxville, Tenn. on Saturday, Feb. 8, 2014. (AP Photo/Knoxville News Sentinel, Adam Lau)

Photo by Adam Lau, © Knoxville News Sentinel

Cuonzo Martin recaps win over South Carolina

None

Jarnell Stokes talks about how the Vols' bounce back

None

A Tennessee men’s basketball team that felt doomed by a flat start on Wednesday avoided the problem Saturday and rode a first-half surge to a runaway win.

UT beat South Carolina 72-53 at Thompson-Boling Arena.

The Vols (15-8, 6-4 SEC) dusted themselves off from Wednesday’s 64-60 loss to Vanderbilt in Nashville. They are 6-1 after losses this season. The Gamecocks (8-15, 1-9) cemented their status as SEC bottom dwellers. They have now lost three league games in a row.

UT scored the game’s first 10 points and led by 23 at intermission. The 45-22 advantage marked the most first-half points the Vols had scored this season.

Jordan McRae scored a game-high 24. He made his first four 3-point attempts and closed the first half with a buzzer-beater that thrilled the crowd. Jarnell Stokes scored 17 and pulled down eight rebounds. Jeronne Maymon had 10 points, eight rebounds.

South Carolina freshman point guard Sindarius Thornwell (15 points) carried the Gamecocks. He scored 13 in the first half.

UT coach Cuonzo Martin experimented with his lineup in the second, inserting a host of reserves into the game. South Carolina took advantage, cutting the lead to 13 (54-41) with 9 minutes to play. But Martin sent his starters back in, and the Vols went on an 11-2 run.

Tennessee faces a much stiffer test Tuesday, when No. 3 Florida comes to Knoxville. The Vols lost to the Gators 67-41 in Gainesville on Jan. 25.

Ben Frederickson covers UT men’s basketball. Follow him at twitter.com/Ben_Fred

wigmeister writes:

Never saw a team so Dr, Jekyll and Mr. Hyde!

FmrVol31 writes:

Got to build on this for the GATORS!!! No more flops likes Vandy.

rbromley7#1423785 writes:

Very trying to watch the Vols after watching the UNC/ND game. A solid first half by the Vols. However, as they have shown so far, they quickly become too casual and are not consistent in transition even versus the Gamecocks. I hope & trust they will continue to improve. Go Vols

Chris_L75 writes:

It's a win (over a last-place team), but that second half was downright strange. For some reason it had me thinking of something Cuonzo said after the Virginia game, about not wanting to embarrass a fellow coach, or taking no pleasure in a blowout. Surely he isn't instructing the players to ease off the gas pedal with a certain size lead? Is that the best way to prepare for March? (or Tuesday?)

Just grasping at straws here, trying to understand why our team seemed to be moving in quicksand after halftime. Whatever it was, the crowd picked up on it, and most of them left at about the eight-minute timeout. It's getting increasingly harder to blame them.

WaitUntilNextYear writes:

in response to Chris_L75:

Sorry bud but your last paragraph is a blatant lie. I was in TBA section 120 row 18, where were you?
You beat a team all night long with effort and some good shooting and you complain?
Fans did not bail out with 8 minutes to go.
I don't care if you like this team or the coach but don't make up a story to start a bandwagon.
Were you in the arena?
If you knew anything about BB you would have realized both coaches went to hard 2-3 zones to burn the clock. Also, there was no reason to run or take quick shots with a 23 point lead.
It was a dominant victory with effort, bud!

oldster writes:

Cuonzo's experiments with the lineup were abject failures. 27 points in the second half against a team that had allowed 45 in the first half is pretty pitiful. I just cannot watch this team play. I love basketball, but I hate what they make the game look like. They make it look spastic instead of artistic, jerky, instead of fluid, ugly instead of beautiful.

oldster writes:

in response to WaitUntilNextYear:

Fans did not bail out with 8 minutes to go.
Were you in the arena?
It was a dominant victory with effort, bud!

I did not go to the game. I do not have enough money to waste on a team that plays like this one. If I want an upset stomach, I can eat bad fruit and it does not cost as much as a trip to TBA.

I did watch for a while. I turned it off after the first timeout in the second half. It was like watching a time lapse video of a gorgeous young woman go through the physical ravages of meth usage and turn her into, well, you have seen what I mean.

Chris_L75 writes:

in response to WaitUntilNextYear:

Fans did not bail out with 8 minutes to go.
Were you in the arena?
It was a dominant victory with effort, bud!

Section 311, today and always, stayed to the buzzer. Both the coasting-with-lead and mass early exodus are regular features this season, and I said I didn't blame anyone for the latter.

Spout however and whenever you want, but if you're looking to light up Cuonzo-haters, there are much juicier targets here and everywhere. I freaking want the man to win. Glad you could enjoy that second half without Excedrin.

Plasticman85 writes:

I was at the game as well. Very surprised the crowd was as large as it was, although the students were a no show. The first half was great, the second half was like watching paint dry when the second teasers were in the game.

wilk58 writes:

in response to Chris_L75:

I think he needs some Midol.