Vols eye another crack at Florida's defense

Vols trying to learn from Florida fiasco

Florida guard Scottie Wilbekin (5) and center Patric Young (4) tie-up Tennessee guard Jordan McRae (52) as he tries to move the ball during the second half of an NCAA college basketball game Saturday, Jan. 25, 2014 in Gainesville, Fla. Florida defeated Tennessee 67-41.  (AP Photo/Phil Sandlin)

Photo by Phil Sandlin, AP2014

Florida guard Scottie Wilbekin (5) and center Patric Young (4) tie-up Tennessee guard Jordan McRae (52) as he tries to move the ball during the second half of an NCAA college basketball game Saturday, Jan. 25, 2014 in Gainesville, Fla. Florida defeated Tennessee 67-41. (AP Photo/Phil Sandlin)

Lights. Camera. Cover your eyes.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

sideline1 writes:

It should be to Stokes advantage to stay around another year and master more of the power moves like the two dunks he put on South Carolina. His free throws have become reasonably consistent. Now he needs to get better control of using his power inside. To be good in the NBA he'll need more than two moves like those dunks and better shooting away from the basket. Whether the Vols with have the kind of outside shooters next year that can take the pressure off of Stokes inside remains to be seen.

underthehill writes:

I think I heard 9 NBA scouts attended the Ky-TN game..Stokes will be in the NBA next year if decides to enter the draft..rebounders like Stokes don't come along often..

no1djkb#278630 writes:

Fellas I have supported and still will support this team but man there is nothing I can say to defend them anymore. They are soooo up and down it is painful to watch. If Martin has to go, I will totally understand. How do you have a veteran team like this and they are still inconsistent.
One more thing, can we please get someone to drive the basketball. Why does every team I watch seem to have a player that can get through a zone

gfergus3#1436871 writes:

in response to no1djkb#278630:

I completely agree on the driving comment. If Tennessee can drive into the paint, with Florida pretty much guaranteeing a double team on stokes, there will be nobody outside to guard the perimeter. Further, this would lead to the Florida defenders to cheat more outside, and it will allow Stokes to dominate the inside. That is how Tennessee will win the game. Also, we have to play our pace and not let Florida dictate the game like last time.
In regards to Cuonzo Martin, I think it will be a very hard call whether to let him go or not. I feel that it all depends on how this team closes out the season. He definitely needs to at least feel a little pressure and hopefully fire up this team every single game, no matter the opponent. He is a class act, and I would hate to see him go.

in response to no1djkb#278630:

I'm pretty much with you on this. This team doesn't need people like us to defend them, they need to do that themselves. The good thing about it is that there is almost no way they can shoot as badly Tuesday as they did at Florida. I don't know what kind of coaching could cause guys to shoot that badly when they have seldom done so lately.

The problem, as Jimmy Dykes might say, is that they are "offense-dependent", i.e., they let poor shooting affect other parts of their game, such as defense and rebounding. That is an immature attitude that I am sure drives Martin crazy. If they are not shooting well, they need to drive it more to try to get to the foul line--to many people's amazement, the Vols are 2d in the SEC in team FT%age. They also need to push the ball up the court so they can attack before the defense gets set up. Then they need to work the shot clock down until they get a good shot, because quick shots other than layups are just asking for trouble when they're not shooting well.

As for your final question, the Vols don't drive the basket well because they nearly always try to "fly" to the basket on a long, straight line instead of "picking" their way from one spot on the floor to another and being ready to pass, pull up, or continue the drive at each stage. IMHO, this is THE major flaw in the game of WAY too many modern players. Instead of having the choice to pass, shoot, or drive, they give themselve a choice of taking a low-percentage shot, charging, or throwing the ball away. Dumb, dumb, DUMB!

no1djkb#278630 writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Great points on all my friend. You know if Tennessee had a choice of trading with a school player for player, I would give up Stokes for Releford (think that is how you spell it). That guy knows how to break down a defense, he just does not have the help. Nobody on our team seeems to play aggressive at all. Well maybe McRae sometimes. When he goes to the basket, it is hard to stop him. Don't see why he does not do that 60% of the time.

in response to no1djkb#278630:

Whew! I would have to think long and hard about that trade you mentioned, but I surely WOULD like to have a guy like Releford on the squad. The Vols would be top-10 with a bullet with Releford at PG.

McRae is one of the ones I was thinking about when I mentioned flying to the basket. He has actually gotten a bit more judicious about when and how he takes it to the hoop this season. If he would conciously dribble to a spot, then to another spot, and so on, he would be able to raise up for that mid-range jumper whenever the opportunity presents itself. However, it just seems to be in his nature to want to take off from about 12 feet from the basket and take it all the way in, too often resulting in a turnover if not an offensive foul. If he wants to nail down a spot in the NBA draft, he will eliminate that flaw in his game. He doesn't really have all that many flaws in his game these days, except perhaps for the inconsistency that seems to plague the whole team these days.