Butch Jones embarrassed by party arrests

University of Tennessee football coach Butch Jones talks about the NCAA college football team's signing class on Wednesday, Feb. 5, 2014, in Knoxville, Tenn. (AP Photo/Knoxville News Sentinel, Saul Young)

Tennessee coach Butch Jones said he was embarrassed that nine football players were arrested or cited Sunday after authorities broke up an off-campus party.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

slov writes:

Minor blip. Nothing more.

RoadTrip writes:

Butch will handle it. But after receiving a warning and then turning around a cranking it up even more - that deserves the arrests and stiff repercussions. Stadium steps at 6 AM will do wonders for those stupid decisions.

OrangePride writes:

Take a deep breath, step back until all the facts are in, and let Butch handle the business. I do think CBJ will take significant action where its warranted. He will be fair, but don't expect any slaps on the wrist if "resisting arrest" charges are shown true.

UTANDNOBAMA writes:

Tiny we can't ignore this anymore than we can the overated offensive line we had last year. I got two kids at UT and they have to work their butts off to pay for everything from tuition and housing to having to send $80 to buy a code to turn in their homework... And each have two jobs to do it. They don't have Time to pull this kind of phooey and neither should "student athletes". There are consequences to your actions. And at this point in our history we just don't have th luxury to do stupid stuff... Personally I think one less link to the dooley-bray era will only serve to speed up the rebuilding process. We need to look forward... And leave losers like AJ and tiny behind.

MooseandSquirrelVol writes:

Mistakes were made, of that there is no doubt.
That said, if this is the absolute worst mistake any of these guys make in their lives, I think they'll be o.k.
I'm sure Coach will do whatever he can to see to that.

Volsreign1 writes:

Early enrollee Jakob Johnson lives in an apartment with upper classmen? I thought freshmen had to live in a dorm. And he should still be in high school. That might not be a good idea.

TNlogfire writes:

WHY DIDN'T YOU LIST THE NON-STUDENTS THAT WERE ISSUED A CITATION...???...I WAS ONE OF THEM AND MY NAME WASN'T LISTED...It was a birthday party for God's sake...I told the cops to arrest me too and they said, no, just football players....geez...

vut5686#1405392 writes:

The facts will sort themselves out; the claims, in total, add up to some pretty stupid and ill-thought out actions on several athletes' part. Regardless how harsh, a good lesson taught here might pay dividends later...if coach means what he says about his program. His entire roster needs to know how to party and how not to party. No compromises.

psychovol2 writes:

Screw you Richardson. You and Sapp get off campus and get a life.

lonesome_dove writes:

cranking the stupid music back up before the police could even get out of the parking lot and then physically resisting arrest are the two things that I find troubling - those define thuggish behavior and I've never heard anything like that from AJ Johnson or Danny OBrien before now. since they are still on the team, they need to be looked at the hardest by Coach Jones. also, I realize that pot is very common in college, but a D1 athlete, especially with a possible pro career ahead of him, has got to be an idiot to be taking that kind of risk. Again, time for a serious conversation with these kids about what their intentions are about this year - Are you ready to get serious as a player and leader and start winning some games or are you content to be mediocre and win a few, lose a few and have as much fun partying as possible ????

atnvol#283282 writes:

AJ is in serious trouble....I expect he will be looking toward the draft this spring now. A contributing charge is much more serious....especially in regards to what BJ is trying to build here. I expect he is gone and I think O'Brien very well may be gone too...at the very least, it will be very difficult for him to "earn" his way back. Partying by college kids is one thing....but what AJ did as a team leader...and damaging the name of the football program that BJ is fighting to resurrect...I just don't see him back. Sorry AJ...you are definitely not a bad person...you just made a critical error of judgement. I think that we will see under BJones that even our hallowed football players will have to accept responsibility for their actions....like the rest of us.

threehundredbowler writes:

in response to TNlogfire:

For some reason I do not believe that part about only [football players] were to be arrested.

underthehill writes:

in response to Volsreign1:

This was the one that caught my attention..from what I have read..I thought he might be the sleeper in this bunch and improve team speed..obviously a real test for Jones..unfortunately this is who we are because it did happen.. the question becomes ..what do you do to change..I think Jones will get it right..

pingkr62 writes:

Yes, these YOUNG people made a mistake and hopefully will learn from it. As for the excessive loud music, who knows who turned the volume up again as the officers where leaving. Drunk people, especially young drunk people do stupid things. All I can add is "FEAR BUTCH". G.B.O.!!!

WaitUntilNextYear writes:

in response to UTANDNOBAMA:

We don't care about your kids!
Wonder what they do when you aren't looking over their shoulder micro-managing their life.
Hypocricy and racism are alive and well in K-Town and amongst a number of ignorant fans.

gc_scvol writes:

in response to UTANDNOBAMA:

First of all, let me applaud your children for working so hard to get an education. You must be proud of them. But after those facts were stated you got way of base. You seem to forget that all of us make mistakes, and I do mean all. Suggesting that coach Butch Jones get rid of AJ because of this incident is completely ridiculous. Coach Jones will handle this his way, which would probably work out to be much more effective than what you are proposing
. I would imagine that by the time coach Jones has completed his plan, we will see if AJ really wants to be a Vol. Relax, take a deep breath, and let the man who actually knows what he is doing take care of this.

gc_scvol writes:

in response to gc_scvol:

And while you're at it, get rid of that ridiculous screen name.

underthehill writes:

in response to gc_scvol:

I also think Jones will handle it his way..and it will be in the way he thinks best for the individuals and the team..I also know he is going to be sending a message..and it can't be anything like the ones Dooley sent when faced with similar problems..

TommyJack writes:

Butch ain't Dools. He will do the right thing.

ut_man1#1427524 writes:

in response to UTANDNOBAMA:

I agree! Coach needs to make an example of these players for all the new players coming in.

utfans#211352 writes:

This was a college party that got out of hand. It is too bad but it is not that big of a thing. Drunk people especially young drunk people do dumb things and hopefully learn from their mistakes. A.J. had always seemed like a decent kid, I hate that he and O'Brien messed up. Tiny defended his team mate and friend. Quit hating kids for making a mistake. They didn't really do anything to you.

allvol8 writes:

You are free to make choices but not free from the consequences of your choices.. CBJ will get it right,, I would not want to face him.

Snapshot writes:

in response to WaitUntilNextYear:

We don't care about your kids!

We don't care about your opinion! How's that moron? Why is every situation racist to you? You weren't there, you don't know. Tiny said it best, get a life!

You have no room to be calling anyone else ignorant, maybe you need to look in the mirror.

in response to OrangePride:

"Resisting arrest" is itself one of those catchall categories that ranges all the way from asking, "What did I do?" to swinging a fist at a cop. Such a charge is almost completely at the discretion of the arresting officer. It is a time-honored practice of law enforcement to add on every charge they can think of at the time of an arrest, knowing that 1) they will get more favorable publicity for dealing with a "major" event and 2) the prosecutor will have more wiggle room to adjust charges as he/she sees fit.

gbo78 writes:

in response to atnvol#283282:

Well said, and all that needs to be said, so I stopped reading. Just wish it wasn't true.

hateNCloveTN writes:

this is the first real test of cbj's coaching tenure at ut. I just hope he handles it as well as he has handled the program up to this point. these guys acted stupidly and whatever actions are levied, I just hope it is appropriate.